PDA

View Full Version : New Guy showing off a segmented vase

Dale Barger
09-14-2015, 2:29 PM
Hello all! I joined the forum a while back and have yet to post anything. I just finished my latest turning, a segmented flower vase. This is only my 2nd segmented piece ever. It has 217 pieces of cherry and maple. It is 6 inches in diameter and 7.5 inches tall. Wall thickness is around 3/8 thick. Finished with wipe on poly. Any feed back is welcome. The picture is not the greatest I just snapped it with my phone. Dale

Tim Boger
09-14-2015, 2:45 PM
Hi Dale,
I think you've done a beautiful job on this, hard to believe it's only your second piece. Well done.

Tim

Malcolm Tibbetts
09-14-2015, 6:52 PM
Dale, for just your second attempt at segmenting, this is outstanding. Tight joinery, consistent grain alignment, and a nice shape, and nice finish make this a winner. Welcome to the world of "scrap wood turners".

Brian Kent
09-14-2015, 7:29 PM
Welcome Dale. I like it. How many coats of Wipe on Poly did that take?

Dale Barger
09-14-2015, 10:43 PM
Dale, for just your second attempt at segmenting, this is outstanding. Tight joinery, consistent grain alignment, and a nice shape, and nice finish make this a winner. Welcome to the world of "scrap wood turners".

Thank You Mr. Tibbetts!

Welcome Dale. I like it. How many coats of Wipe on Poly did that take?

I think there are 8 coats total. The first three were thin then the last ones are pretty thick.

Hi Dale,
I think you've done a beautiful job on this, hard to believe it's only your second piece. Well done.

Tim
Thanks!

robert baccus
09-14-2015, 11:32 PM
Very, very nice yeah.

Allan Ferguson
09-15-2015, 9:59 AM
Looks real good to me. Have fun. Allan

daryl moses
09-15-2015, 10:26 AM
Looks great!! I like it a lot.
I've never tried a segmented turning, I live on a tree farm and pretty much have an unlimited supply of wood, but I really like the contrast that segmented turnings give. I may have to give it a try.