PDA

View Full Version : Finished Cake Pan Lid

Shaddy Dedmore
08-25-2005, 1:01 AM
I used 75 speed and 100 power, but it was not looking that great. So without touching it I made a second pass. It came out pretty good.

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/CakePanLidMom.jpg

I used this CDR (http://www.shaddysengraving.com/laser/CakePanLidVer10.cdr) as a kind of template. It's saved in version 10 Corel. It has 2 layer because I like it that way ;) Feel free to do whatever with it because I didn't really put too much into it. But you could at least use the outside rectangle that's a vector line to cut a template. I used 1/4 MDF. It basically just has a notch cut out of the bottom so you have a place for that little handle. So you can place the lid on the table and have it be level. And also be able to line it up in the upper left. The other lines are just estimated and I used it as a guide for a reality check to make sure my text was centered and the lid was placed OK on the template.

Thanks Laura for the legwork to find them. And Pete, thanks for the offer, I already had my samples and just wanted to see what people were putting on them before I tried something.

Thanks for looking

Shaddy

Laura Zaruba
08-25-2005, 12:36 PM
Very nice! And thanks for sharing the template. I ran a second pass too but I don't think it came out as nice as yours; I decided to do only one pass so there's still color left but it doesn't look bad.

Shaddy Dedmore
08-25-2005, 1:51 PM
My laser is 45W, might account for the difference. The pic is a tad misleading as there is still a lot of color in the text. But after the first pass, it was a little blotchy. But the second pass evened it right up. I thought about slowing it down, but I'm not sure I wouldn't still need a second pass.

Might play with it on the other lids, but I kind of hate to mess with a process that works. I've ruined too many things by "improving" my process. :(

I took the lid into my other work today, and have got a bunch of ooos and ahhhhs. And a few poeple that were upset that I didn't fill the container with goodies.

Bill Stein
08-26-2005, 4:24 PM
Shaddy,

Like all of your work that I have seen, it is outstanding. I really like the font you used. Could you tell me the font name?

Thanks,
Bill

Shaddy Dedmore
08-27-2005, 1:11 AM
Hey thanks Bill, that was nice of you to say.

It's called ChopinScript, I think google will turn some stuff up.

It's pretty fancy for a lot of things, but it looked good for this one. I gave it to my mom tonight and she loved it. I think she wants to buy some for presents. Looks like I'll be buying more soon.

Shaddy

Shaddy Dedmore
08-27-2005, 9:20 PM
Here's my second one. I photoshopped (well, paint shop pro'd) out the name to protect the guilty. ;)

Same settings as the first one. the etching is even, but the flash made it look lighter in the middle.

I liked the ChopinScript, so I used it again. I also kept the same wording because I lack creativity.

http://www.shaddysengraving.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10001/CakePanLid.jpg

Shaddy

Pat Kearney
08-28-2005, 10:10 PM
These look great! If you don't mind me asking what are these pans made of and where can I purchase them? Thanks.

Shaddy Dedmore
08-29-2005, 1:20 AM
Painted Aluminum
Made by Doughmakers (http://www.doughmakers.com/), call and tell them what you're doing and they'll send you some samples and a price guide. I believe Laura did all the legwork on this one, and told us about it. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Good luck with your laser. bookmark all the suppliers that we list, sometimes I think i don't need it, but then I find myself searching the forum and looking for the name/link again. But sometimes the messages are hard to find, and burried under a different topic.

Shaddy

Pat Kearney
08-29-2005, 9:47 PM
Thank you, I am really looking forward to it.

SteveKrim
09-20-2005, 12:21 PM
I liked the ChopinScript, so I used it again. I also kept the same wording because I lack creativity.

Hi all - since I too lack creativity - what are some of the sayings for the pan lids that might be used??? The only one I came up with is this: "Teachers make more than goodies"

Any others that would be nice???

Laura Zaruba
09-20-2005, 8:39 PM
Stolen from (Name)'s Kitchen
Warning: Eat At Your Own Risk Made By (Name)
Goodies From (Name)
Something Special From (Name)

Hmm, I have a whole list but it's at my other office. I'll try to post more when I can! :)