PDA

View Full Version : Turning a book into a block of wood

Brian Kent
09-13-2015, 10:41 PM
I saw a picture of a book or catalogue that was glued together into a solid block, and then used for turning. Any idea how to do that glue-up?

Decoupage? Wood solidifier? Book transmorgrifier?

Brian Myers
09-13-2015, 11:34 PM
http://www.robertflyon.com/ewExternalFiles/RobertLyon.pdf

Dale Bonertz
09-14-2015, 8:07 AM
Trent Bosch's daughter has been working with this concept. You may drop Trent an email.

David Walser
09-14-2015, 9:14 AM
I'm a tax accountant and, when I read that article, I thought this would be the perfect way to recycle old copies of the Internal Revenue Code and Regulations. I've never gotten around to cutting the bindings off and spreading glue on each and every page. That could take days!

Recently, I've started wondering if this would be a good use for Cactus Juice. I don't have a stabilization set up yet, so I cannot try it out myself. Any thoughts?

Brian Kent
09-14-2015, 10:30 AM
The Cactus juice sounds interesting. I wonder about the 50% glue, 50% water soak, followed by pressing with weight. Another thought is a finish-type epoxy that can be put on very thin with pages rolled together. 3M spray glue, sticking the pages together with spray lacquer, thin coats of de-waxed shellac. I also wonder about the difference between shiny catalogue paper and more absorbent news-printy stuff.

I'm on another huge project at the moment but when I clear some space for experiments I am looking forward to trying it.

John Keeton
09-14-2015, 10:43 AM
I have seen this described before, and each time I see it I come to the same conclusion - with all the stunningly beautiful and colorful wood that God provided for our enjoyment, I just cannot see spending hours on end gluing up paper!! But.....each to his or her own, I guess.

Mel Fulks
09-14-2015, 10:52 AM
John, it is kinda like making coal out of diamonds.

Dan Hintz
09-14-2015, 11:50 AM
Gluing up each page sounds painful... 'twere it me, I'd throw it in my vacuum chamber with some hardener resin (Cactus Juice is one such resin), pop it in the oven for a couple of hours, then turn. And I have some THICK catalogs. Very little manual labor...

Steve Peterson
09-14-2015, 12:05 PM
I have seen this described before, and each time I see it I come to the same conclusion - with all the stunningly beautiful and colorful wood that God provided for our enjoyment, I just cannot see spending hours on end gluing up paper!! But.....each to his or her own, I guess.

I agree that there is plenty of natural wood out there. Why grind up trees to make paper and then go to the trouble of making it look like wood again.

The only style that appeals to me would be something like a lamp crated from a stack of old books. They would have to be the old style of books with rough edges and thick pulpy paper. Nothing modern with clean cut paper. Turning the book would ruin the look, for me at least.

The only obvious solution to gluing them is something that can soak in and harden. I would try a 50/50 mixture of household glue and water on an old book. Trying to spread glue on every page would take way too long. A pressure pot might also work.

Steve

Thom Sturgill
09-14-2015, 12:05 PM

John, I tend to agree, but it might make a valid artistic statement if used right. I might make a nib holder for a dip pen, for example.

Brian Kent
09-14-2015, 2:58 PM
The only things I am actually interested in are 1) the shear novelty of it, and 2) because sometimes the words show through on the edge of a bowl.

Shawn Pachlhofer
09-14-2015, 3:17 PM
pay for the Cactus Juice and I'll give it a shot for ya. :D

David Walser
09-14-2015, 6:03 PM
John -- I understand where you're coming from. However, in my case, I'd like to have a pen made out of an old copy of the Internal Revenue Code. I could have used it today as I've been signing tax returns for my clients. I'm sure many other CPAs and tax attorney's would feel the same way. I just like the notion of making something useful out of the tax code.

My current pen is made of rattlesnake skin. I like using it when drafting a poison pen letter to the IRS. I find it inspirational. I think I'd find a tax pen inspirational, too.

John Keeton
09-14-2015, 7:54 PM
I just like the notion of making something useful out of the tax code.

My current pen is made of rattlesnake skin. I like using it when drafting a poison pen letter to the IRS. I find it inspirational. I think I'd find a tax pen inspirational, too.David, deep down, could it be that you enjoy taking a sharp and dangerous instrument to the tax code and in the process, leaving it in shreds??? :D

robert baccus
09-15-2015, 12:00 AM
Buy some 2 part epoxy or polyester resins(think fiberglass) and thin with acetone until like milk. It will soak through, in a Vinyl plastic bag. The acetone slows down the hardening to several hours.