PDA

View Full Version : Bluegrass hammer

lowell holmes
09-13-2015, 5:37 PM
I ran across my daddy's 7 oz. Bluegrass hammer. I wonder how many of you know about Bluegrass tools. I think he favored the Bluegrass hammers because of the octagonal handle.
I acquired a 16 oz Bluegrass hammer a few years back. I also have a 3/8" Bluegrass bevel edge chisel. The steel in it is good.

Rick Whitehead
09-13-2015, 8:41 PM
I've always liked Bluegrass tools. I bought a Bluegrass 13 oz hammer new in 1978 or so, and have used it ever since.
Their hammers are great, but some of the other Bluegrass tools I've had haven't been so good. I bought a set of their plastic- handled chisels once. The steel was good, but the backs were actually concave instead of flat, and it took a LOT of grinding to fix them.
Rick

george wilson
09-13-2015, 9:41 PM
Bluegrass was a line of tools sold to hardware stores back years ago. I remember them from the 60's when I was in North Carolina. I don't recall if they were sold in Va. back then. I just regarded the line as "hardware quality" tools at the time.

Joe Bailey
09-13-2015, 9:47 PM
Bluegrass was the brand name for the top-of-the-line tools sold by the Belknap Hdwre & Mfg Co. of Louisville, Ky.
There were grades below the Bluegrass line, with other catchy names, all of which I have forgotten

bridger berdel
09-13-2015, 11:16 PM
I have a bluegrass hammer that does feel vrry nice in the hand.

lowell holmes
04-19-2019, 12:57 PM
Here it is four years later and I just picked up my 7 ounce Bluegrass hammer with the wooden handle. I don't do much hammering these days, but I still treasure my wooden handle hammers.

James Pickering
04-24-2019, 2:41 AM
…………… I just picked up my 7 ounce Bluegrass hammer with the wooden handle. I don't do much hammering these days, but I still treasure my wooden handle hammers.
Like you, I don’t do much hammering these days either, but I also dearly love my wooden handled hammers - including my Belknap Blue Grass.

Bob Glenn
04-24-2019, 9:40 AM
Don't know if it's a Bluegrass hammer or not, but I bought it 40 years ago because it had an octagonal handle. I've since put octagonal handles on a lot of my tools, including my Knew Concepts coping saw.