PDA

View Full Version : Spray for vines on fence.

Clarence Martin
09-13-2015, 9:42 AM
Don't know if it is too late in the year to do this , but would like to kill off the vines that are grown up over the metal fence in the backyard. Don't know what type of vines they are. fence is 5 feet high and runs about 250 feet in length. What would be the best spray for it and how much would I need ?

Thanks,

Art Mann
09-13-2015, 10:50 AM
Glyphosate. It is sold under the trade name Roundup. The reason I mentioned the chemical name is that it is now available as a much cheaper generic from places like Home Depot. You will have to look on the bottle to find the active ingredient. It may just say "Weed Killer" in big letters.You can get it already diluted and ready to use but it sounds like you need enough to warrant buying it as a concentrate and mixing with water.The product works on green foliage so it may not work if the leaves are brown.

Brian Deakin
09-13-2015, 12:36 PM
In the United Kigdom glyphosate is avaiable in 2 strengths 120mg per litre and 420mg per litre The highter strength product represents the best value

The lower strength product is sold in diy stores and garden centres the higher strength is available from the internet and agricultural suppliers

Suggest explor what stengths are available in the USA. and the relatives costs before making a purchase

Randy Red Bemont
09-13-2015, 12:43 PM
Tractor Supply has there version of roundup and it has Glyphosate in it. Works great and is a third of the cost of roundup.

Red

Larry Frank
09-13-2015, 2:35 PM
You can spray the vines on the fence but look out for over spray as you will kill anything hit. If the vines are big, it may not kill them and will need to spray them again next year.

If the vines have large base, you can drill a hole in the vine and put in some full strength Roundup. This will also work with trees. I have killed tree stumps by drill larger holes and filling them with Roundup.

I have had small vines and bushes come up in landscape beds. You can prune the end and dip them in Roundup.

Mac McQuinn
09-13-2015, 4:20 PM
Why not save the money spent on chemicals and a sprayer and cut everything away with a good quality pair of pruners? My preference is Swiss made Felco.
Mac

Larry Frank
09-13-2015, 7:03 PM
The reason I spray or use chemicals is that most viny plants and shrubs will just keep coming back if you cut them down. It is a never ending process if you cut them down. Digging them out is almost as bad as you have to do it a lot of times and get every little root.

I have tried both cutting them down and digging roots without success.

Robert Delhommer Sr
09-13-2015, 7:21 PM
Roundup should do it, but hurry up before they quit growing for the winter or it will not work.

Brian Tymchak
09-14-2015, 12:04 PM
I've had my best success with roundup when the weather is dry and warm and spray in the early afternoon so that the plant will absorb the fullest dose.

If the leaves have a waxy coat on them, there is a version of Round Up for Poison Ivy which I have first hand experience with that it works well.

Ken Combs
09-14-2015, 12:22 PM
Glyphosate works for me also. I buy the 40% generic rather than roundup. Add a few drops of dish soap to the mix. that helps it adhere to leaves rather than beading up and falling off.

Matt Meiser
09-14-2015, 12:29 PM
Farm supply stores are the best bet. I bought a 2.5gal jug when I lived on 10 acres and had a ton of driveway to spray for a tiny fraction of the cost of even generic at other stores. I got my jug at a Rural King store. I suppose eventually now it will lose its effectiveness and I'll have to take it to a hazardous waste disposal day but I mixed some up this year and its still plenty effective. The dilution math is tricky for me...I didn't do well in chemistry.

roger wiegand
09-14-2015, 3:02 PM
It's getting too late in the year for Roundup/glyphosate (or most other herbicides) in the northern part of the country. Glyphosate only works on growing, green tissue, by this time of year for most plants they are done growing and doing very active photosynthesis. Probably best to cut them to the ground this year and then spray the shoots as they come up in the spring. Vines and trees have large underground storage reserves of sugar and other nutrients so you may well need to spray more than once, as you essentially need to starve them to death.

David Ragan
09-14-2015, 3:49 PM
When we first moved into this house, we had some poison ivy, etc.

I traced the root back to property line, cut it, and applied some concentrated Brush B Gone. No problems since.

My issue now is the English Ivy that does not have the central root, and I just want to control it, not wipe it out. EI is notorious for a waxy coat on leaves that prevents most all herbicides.

Tom M King
09-14-2015, 7:09 PM
I'd use 2,4,D...active ingredient in Brush B Gone. If it doesn't get it now, hit it early next spring at the first sign of green. Arsenal will work now, but it's pretty expensive, and as far as I know, not available in small quantities. Some named herbicides include the ingredient in Arsenal. It's Imprazar, so check the labels. Tractor Supply has some sprayers I like on sale for 10 bucks. I bought eight and keep anything I want ready to go on a shelf. One keeps detergent water. They have a pressure relief valve, so after use, I release the pressure, take the wand off-which comes off easily, and spray some soapy water through it. The shoulder strap pad is pretty uncomfortable, but a Velcro on camera strap pad off ebay took care of that.

Dave Zellers
09-14-2015, 10:49 PM
IMO, given the time of year, the best approach here is to walk along the fence with clippers cutting every vine where it enters the ground. Then next spring, let the vines sprout from the cut stems and as TMK said, spray with Brush-B-Gone. You will need a fraction of the nasty spray that you will need now and you will minimize overspray which will be a huge problem if you try to spray 250 feet of 4-6 foot vines. Buy the concentrate and a pump sprayer and then label the sprayer with a skull and crossbones and never use it for anything except pesticides again.

The vines will will fight back. Just hit them again when they do and with very little poison you can put them down. These chemicals are powerful, powerful good and powerful bad. The less you use the better.

It is possible to win this battle without chemicals. If you were to cut every stem at ground level, and then using a string trimmer, trim along the fence every 2-4 weeks, eventually, you will win. It will take years, but so will spraying.

I have no problem with chemicals but the less used the better.

BTW- if you do choose to spray the full vines, don't feel like you need to spray every leaf. Focus on the lower 2/3. Spraying the tops of the vines is where the undesired overspray will come from. If you really want to COMPLETELY eliminate these vines, think of it as a 3 year project.

I was able to remove an acre of poison ivy from the back of my lot using the stem cutting, spot spraying method over 3-4 years. When I started, I had poison ivy vines bigger than my thumb growing up 20 feet into pine and oak trees.

Now it's showing up again because the birds eat the berries from the surrounding poison ivy and deposit the seed along with a dollop of fertilizer whenever they stop for a rest on a branch.

We are just a tiny part of this whole wonderful process.

Good luck.

Art Mann
09-14-2015, 11:04 PM
If used correctly, Glyphosate will kill most vines in one treatment. It is much more broad spectrum than 2,4-D.

Dave Zellers
09-14-2015, 11:25 PM
Sure.

Until they come back.

:)

There is no way 250' of vines are going down in a single spraying.

Beau Cassidy
09-15-2015, 8:32 AM
I usually don't have to be too aggressive with weed control but for absolute control of everything growing spray some Pramitol. Just be careful it may kill stuff you don't want killed. If that is a concern than I would get another herbicide such as Prodiamine.

Clarence Martin
09-15-2015, 2:52 PM
Used the store brand Roundup. Got it sprayed, well, half the section I wanted to get sprayed, this Morning. Used a combination of the wide spray and the squirter flow on the sprayer. Sprayed my side and the other side of the fence. Yesterday, I used the weed wacker to chop down the high stuff and clear the fence of the majority of the vines.

Will see how it works.

Larry Frank
09-15-2015, 7:12 PM
I do not cut or anything like that with poison ivy.....too mich a chance of getting it on you. Having a case of poison ivy is a real bad battle for me. Some people seem to be almost immune to it but not me.