PDA

View Full Version : Plunge Router Question?

Red OLeary
09-13-2015, 8:52 AM
As an example, on a router such as the Bosch 1619 or any other that may work similarly, with the ability to lock out the plunge feature for use in a table, do you effectively have a fixed base router if you don't mount it in the table? I'm thinking of mounting one on an Eurekazone SSRK and it'd be nice if it was basically two routers in one.

Tom Ewell
09-13-2015, 9:30 AM
Not exactly sure what you're asking but looking at the SSRK gizmo videos, he is mounting a plunge router to the plate.

I used a Porter Cable 7539 for years in my table before setting it up with a 7518 motor and lift.

Before the change over, when I needed the heavy plunge router I'd lift the 7539 out of the table and quite often use it with the table plate attached.

Red OLeary
09-13-2015, 11:16 AM
SSRK aside, does this style of router become a fixed base router when you lock out the plunger springs so that it may be used in applications where a fixed base router would be preferable?

Mike Cutler
09-13-2015, 9:37 PM
Red

In your example, it would become "fixed". If you lock the router plunge out, you have to adjust depth, or height in a table, manually.
The debate would come in how it is "locked out". My Porter Cable's can be locked out in such a manner that the plunge is completely inoperable. If you can defeat the plunge in a table mount, pg 18 in your manual, you can use it with the EZ guides.

Rich Engelhardt
09-14-2015, 7:58 AM
it'd be nice if it was basically two routers in one.It (the Bosch and/or any other plunge router) can be used as both a fixed base and a plunge router.
The downside is you sacrifice a whole bunch of versatility and features to do so.
I wish I could cite specific examples, but, it's not really possible.
You find yourself wanting one particular function one router has, that the one you're using lacks. But, you can't use the one that has that function or feature because the one you're using has something else that makes it necessary to use it.

Ah - I found an example! I'm making some cabinets right now and keep changing between T&G bits & a flush trim bit - all w/a 1/2" shank.
It would have been really nice to be able to use the flush trim bit in my DeWalt 611PK - but - that's a 1/4" shank only.
I finally got smart and dragged out the PC 690 & I'll use that out of the table for the flush trim bit.

IMHO - you're worlds ahead getting one motor and two (at least) bases - one fixed and one plunge.
Or better yet, a few plunge and a few fixed bases.

BTW - mounting and unmounting a router from a sub base and/or a table gets real old real fast. After you do it a couple times, the urge to get a dedicated router for each function gets stronger and stronger.

Back to your original question though - - Festool only makes plunge routers, except for their small trim router, so, yes, using only one as both is fine.

(but - you still won't be happy! :D)

Red OLeary
09-14-2015, 9:21 AM
Excellent information, thank you both. Multiple routers is probably the answer, but right now I feel like I'm hemorrhaging money trying to get started in this hobby. :)

Joe Bradshaw
09-14-2015, 9:33 AM
Back when I did flatwork, before I got sucked into the turning vortex, I wound up with 16 routers. I hated
changing bits. As you have stated, hobbies are expensive. Good luck as you go down this road.
Joe

Jim Dwight
09-14-2015, 10:03 AM
I would get a mid sized router kit with plunge and fixed bases if you are starting out. Unless you have a specific need right now for the Eurekazone thing, I would wait on that. I have something like that for my DeWalt track saw and have yet to use it. I would want some sort of router table next. I have a setup in an extension wing of my table saw and a separate stand alone. All you really need for a router table is a flat board (melamine is nice and a sink cutout is near ideal) with a hole in it for the router bit and holes to screw on your router base. I use one of my fixed bases. Then you need something for a fence. It could be as simple as a straight 2x4 with a hole for the bit. My mid sized are 2 PC690s, one with variable speed (necessary for really large bits) and one without. I also have a larger motor in my standalone router table and a little bosch colt for light duty. But a decent mid-sized router with two bases is a great place to start. You can used the Plunge router for everything but it's hand position is high and I prefer the lower hand position of the fixed base for routing edges. It's also more challenging to make small incremental height changes with a plunge base. If I had only two base and one motor, I would mount the fixed to the router table and use the plunge base for hand-held. You can upgrade from there, if you want. But you wouldn't have to. I've made raised panel doors with my PC690s. It took 1 or 2 additional passes versus my bigger router but the doors are the same in the end.

Red OLeary
09-14-2015, 5:58 PM
Thanks for the help guys, much appreciated. I'll look into one of those dual base kits. Thanks again.