PDA

View Full Version : New Shop, part the 5

John Bailey
08-24-2005, 9:40 PM
Home from Greece and I'm off and running with work on the shop. The first picture is the front of the shop and the north wall. I left the rigid insulation off the front so everything would air out over the summer. The north wall has the siding up so you can see how thats going to look. It still needs some trim, but basically its done.

Next, you see a picture of the northwest portion of the inside. I've put a lot of temporary storage areas in the shop. Its so nice to have a place to keep everything, even if it is temporary. I've also built a temporary workbench. I used scraps from the siding and 2x4's from the framing. The door on the west side will go to another storage room at some point where the dust collector will reside.

The northeast section has storage for wood. This is scrap that I will use later and siding that I will be using in the next couple of weeks. Along this wall will be where I will set a "straight back" for boat building.

The southeast section has more storage. Eventually this is where my bench to build kayak paddles will be located.

The southwest corner will have a entry door to the garden and the dulcimer bench.

John Bailey
08-24-2005, 9:51 PM
This is an overhead shot of the north roof. As you can see, I get plenty of light from the tinted roof panels.

And finally,

"In every amateur boatbuilder's(or woodworker's) shop there should be a "moaning chair;" this should be a comfortable seat from which the boat(project) can be easily seen and in which the builder can sit, smoke, chew, drink, or swear as the moment demands. Here he should rest often and think about his next job." Howard Chapelle, Boat Building - 1941

Jim Becker
08-24-2005, 9:56 PM
LOL! I need one of those chairs in several places, not just the shop! Thanks for the update, John...I'm really enjoying the process!

Jim Dunn
08-24-2005, 9:58 PM
Is that a shop or a dance hall what with the speakers and all. I'll see ya for the saturday nite hoe down!

Very nice progress on tshe shop too.

Mike Weaver
08-24-2005, 9:58 PM
Thanks for the update!

...if I really thought about it, I'd need enough moaning chairs that I wouldn't have any room for tools!

Cheers,
-Mike

John Bailey
08-24-2005, 10:05 PM
Jim,

It's a shop, but a shop isn't a shop without a stereo. However, there's going to be some pickin', grinnin' and dancing at times. You bet!!

Joe Mioux
08-24-2005, 10:17 PM
Hey John:

Where is the TV?;)

Joe

lou sansone
08-24-2005, 10:41 PM
hey I got one of them moaning chairs too. it didn't know that was what it was called:cool:

keep up the good work
lou

John Bailey
08-25-2005, 4:48 AM
Joe,

If I had a TV I'd probably watch it instead of what I was working on. I intend to keep all my digits. Besides, I haven't had a TV for 5 yrs., and I'm better off without it.

Kelly C. Hanna
08-25-2005, 9:19 AM
Looking good John!! I love the diagonal sheathing....you are after quality there! Is it Cedar or Pine?

John Renzetti
08-25-2005, 9:42 AM
Hi John, Your shop is coming along real good. What are you planning for insulation and heating.
take care,
John

Pete Harbin
08-25-2005, 9:47 AM
I like the open, airy feeling of the shop. :D Seriously John, you're making a lot of great progress and it's looking good. I really like the siding!

Pete

John Bailey
08-25-2005, 10:12 AM
Kelly,

I used pine. I know that cedar would last longer, but our garage has pine and we use a stain/waterproof on it about every 5 years. The house has cedar. I wasn't convinced the cost of the cedar was going to be worth it. I pick up the 6" t&g for .30 a linear foot at the local mill.

John Bailey
08-25-2005, 10:21 AM
Hi John, Your shop is coming along real good. What are you planning for insulation and heating.
take care,
John

John,

Insulation will be the 3/4" rigid foam panels around all the walls and fiberglass between the studs on the inside. I also insulated the foundation with 3/4" rigid panels. The ceiling is going to present a problem because I wanted the tinted clear roof. The south side of the ceiling is going to be enclosed in pine boards with either blown or fiberglass insulation. The north side will get an industrial celephane sheathing to create an airspace for insulation and to catch any condensation. I'm not sure this is going to be adequate, but I'm going to try it. I haven't decided on heat yet. I really want a wood burner with a propane backup. But I haven't decided if a woodburner ispractical in such a small shop. We heat our house entirely with a Vermont Casting Defiant Encore and I love it. I've got a lot more contemplating to do on the type of heat.