PDA

View Full Version : Clamp problems

David Nelson1
09-12-2015, 2:57 PM
I have quite a few of Jorgensen parallel clamps and a few are stuck in the closed position due to the fact the screw is all the in and you can't toggle the mechanism to slide it back. I've been fighting those clamps on and off for quite a while and now I need to use all of that size. Anyone run into this problem before, if so short of drilling the rivets out and replacing with bolts/screws how did you get them unstuck?

Mel Fulks
09-12-2015, 3:07 PM
We've seen some like that and have used two pairs of vise grips on portions of the thread that are never used. When they are really bad we've sprayed with WD40 type stuff .After that you have to spray the thread with brake cleaner or the clamps will actually unwind in use.

George Bokros
09-12-2015, 4:20 PM
I had similar problems with my Jorgensen clamps also. I complained to them via email and they said all I needed to do was rap them with a mallet and they would free up. I then told them I do not have to do that with my Bessys. They then asked for my shipping address and they shipped me no charge four replacement heads. Solved the problem. It is a known problem that the heads bind up and stick so the heads were redesigned using a different material ( steel vs aluminum I believe) for the head body.

I know this does not help you now but it may be worth contacting them so see what they will do for you.

David Nelson1
09-13-2015, 10:19 AM
I had similar problems with my Jorgensen clamps also. I complained to them via email and they said all I needed to do was rap them with a mallet and they would free up. I then told them I do not have to do that with my Bessys. They then asked for my shipping address and they shipped me no charge four replacement heads. Solved the problem. It is a known problem that the heads bind up and stick so the heads were redesigned using a different material ( steel vs aluminum I believe) for the head body.

I know this does not help you now but it may be worth contacting them so see what they will do for you.

George, did you ever rap them?

David Nelson1
09-13-2015, 10:23 AM
We've seen some like that and have used two pairs of vise grips on portions of the thread that are never used. When they are really bad we've sprayed with WD40 type stuff .After that you have to spray the thread with brake cleaner or the clamps will actually unwind in use.

2 pairs of vise grips? Can you please give me more of an explanation?

Mel Fulks
09-13-2015, 11:53 AM
We might be talking about different clamps. I was referring to the wood clamps with parallel jaws ,in that case vise grips can be used close to the clamp handles. Sorry for confusion.

David Nelson1
09-13-2015, 12:25 PM
cabinet master or something like that. oh ..... your talking about the old style looking clamps that screw in from both sides. I'm talking about the I beam type

Lee Schierer
09-13-2015, 3:16 PM
cabinet master or something like that. oh ..... your talking about the old style looking clamps that screw in from both sides. I'm talking about the I beam type

I don't own that brand clamps, but as I understand the problem, if you slide the movable jaw all the way tight to the fixed jaw, you reach a point where you can't back off the clamping screw enough to tilt that jaw so it can slide back down the beam to clamp a wider piece. Other than whacking the movable jaw loose with a mallet, I don't know how to get out of the situation. However, my suggestion to prevent this would be to extend the clamping screw about 2-3 full turns and slide the movable jaw over so the clamping pad touches the fixed jaw. Determine the distance between the fixed jaw and the movable jaw and wrap 4-5 turns of electrical tape around the beam so that in the future you can never slide the movable jaw to the point of no return if the clamping screw is backed all the way off.

David Nelson1
09-13-2015, 5:16 PM
I learned the cause a few years ago when I picked them up and the jaws slide shut with the threaded portion as you described. The solution is to remember as you use them to always back the handle out. When putting them away I have some 2x cut off I tighten in the jaws. This does 2 things, keeps the jaws from slamming together and stops the chance of the lock jaw problem. I have 12+ more of this type in different sizes and no problems with the rest. I actually prefer the Bessy brand but all those clamps are to long for smaller work.