PDA

View Full Version : Playing with the Robert Sorby Spiralling tool

Pat Scott
09-11-2015, 8:49 PM
I just posted about my Walnut platter with spiral edge, and I said it was my 3rd attempt at using the tool. I thought you might want to see #1 and #2.

My first try was with the medium spiral wheel on the rim of a bowl. I am more than pleased with the result, and adding that detail takes a plain jane, nothing special about the grain, Silver Maple bowl and kicks it up to the next level. The bowl had a crack that went all the way through to the inside, and my wife was more than happy to claim this.

My 2nd try was a spiral edge on a platter. I kept the medium wheel and grabbed a cool piece of crotch Silver Maple. The edge cut fine, but there was some tear out on the end grain. I didn't want to sand it, so I got an idea to try dyeing it with some new Chestnut Royal Blue stain that I got from Craft Supplies. I was hoping the dye would hide the tearout somewhat, which it did.

The rim was still thick at this point, and I sealed the wood on the front and back sides with sanding sealer, and then applied the dye. It worked well to disguise the tear out, so I was happy. Then I continued shaping the rim and taking it down to final thickness. As you can see, the dye did more than just I expected and soaked in through the fibers where the spiral was cut. My wife was more than happy to claim this platter too!
321258 321259 321260

Next time I think I need to seal the edge of the rim where the spiral is cut, in addition to the front and back sides. I had thought about doing that this time, but I wasn't sure if the dye would work if the wood was sealed? I'm open to suggestions.

Robert Marshall
09-12-2015, 8:14 AM
As to the blue-edge bowl: I wonder if blackening the spiraled edge, like with a torch, might be a better finishing detail than the dye. A little more 'natural' than the blue. And no color bleed to worry about.

The plain-jane maple bowl with the spiraled top-edge is very cool, too. A dark rub-in glaze for the edgegp, that would end up mostly in the 'valleys' of the spiraling, would probably be worth a try.

Pat Scott
09-12-2015, 10:45 AM
I actually like the bright blue color, but you're right that dye might not be the way to go. I was going to try some artists paint on the next one, but I'll look at glaze too. Hadn't thought about burning the edge so that's also a good idea. And I hadn't thought about doing a glaze or anything on the bowl rim, but boy would that make it pop! Thanks for the ideas Robert!

Bob Bergstrom
09-12-2015, 10:58 AM
If it is like Transtint or universal dyes you could mix it into lacquer or whatever. And paint it on. Wood will suck up water base dyes more than alcohol ones. If using alcohol you might mix it some blond shellac to help it dry quicker (less penetration). India ink contains shellac so it drys before the writer's hand smuges it.

Pat Scott
09-12-2015, 11:11 AM
If it is like Transtint or universal dyes you could mix it into lacquer or whatever. And paint it on. Wood will suck up water base dyes more than alcohol ones. If using alcohol you might mix it some blond shellac to help it dry quicker (less penetration). India ink contains shellac so it drys before the writer's hand smuges it.

The Chestnut dyes are alcohol based, so that's a good idea to try mixing it with shellac. Thanks for the idea, now I've got several options to try.