PDA

View Full Version : Selecting materials, Filtering, and not killing yourself

Kristopher Powers
09-11-2015, 8:16 PM
Good day all,
Everyday I am loser to getting my laser but also 2 steps behind. What I am faced with today is that I am trying to identify if Chipboard (particle board) will give the hazards that MDF does. I can vent outside, But I do live in residential, PRO: I live next to cows and it masks a lot of smells (YUM).

So my questions:
Like before, How much of a risk do I have with killing myself with Chipboard over MDF?
Can Chipboard be filtered and not have a risk of killing a HEPA filter?
how much of a smell does Chipboard have over MDF?
what are the alternatives to Chipboard/MDF?

Mike Troncalli
09-11-2015, 9:12 PM
Can't help,you, but that's one of the better signatures I've seen in a while.

Gary Hair
09-11-2015, 11:48 PM
Virtually everything you laser will give off hazardous byproducts, some worse than others. Unless you are lasering teflon or pvc you probably don't have much higher risk using one material over the other. Vented outside or properly filtered and you'll have no problems. Just stay away from dihydrogen monoxide, now that stuff will kill you!

Bert Kemp
09-12-2015, 9:14 AM
I think mdf lasers better then chip brd, most chip brd is exactly that chips of wood glued together. Some times different types of glue make it difficult to get good and complete cuts.

Guy Hilliard
09-12-2015, 11:27 AM
Virtually everything you laser will give off hazardous byproducts, some worse than others. Unless you are lasering teflon or pvc you probably don't have much higher risk using one material over the other. Vented outside or properly filtered and you'll have no problems. Just stay away from dihydrogen monoxide, now that stuff will kill you!

I mix a wee bit of dihydrogen monoxide in with my Scotch. I like living close to the edge. :P

Keith Winter
09-12-2015, 12:52 PM
No sure what you're talking about mdf is fine to cut, just exhaust it out. Maybe you're thinking of pvc which Is hazardous

Gary Hair
09-12-2015, 9:37 PM
you rebel you...

Dan Hintz
09-14-2015, 7:36 AM
It's the glue that you have to worry about... it won't harm your machine, but it'll wreck your lungs in a heartbeat. Filter properly or exhaust far away from humans...