PDA

View Full Version : Engraving Acrylic

Bob Kline
09-11-2015, 3:00 PM
I've been buying 1/2" cast acrylic from a distributor and have always gotten a perfect white frosted image when rastering. I just received a new batch and the image is very weak ang not nearly as visible. My distributor told me that the order was from a different manufacturer and that may explain the problem and he is re shipping using the old suppliers product. Two questions. Has anyone experienced anything similar and does anyone have a suggestion on how to improve the image on the problem acrylic.

Braden Todd
09-11-2015, 3:26 PM
Could they have sent you extruded by accident?

I haven't had that issue on clear, but some colored acrylics are pretty hard to get a nice smooth white mark initially. I would suggest playing with your power and try different focus heights. Sometimes being out of focus gives me a better mark.

Good luck!

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2015, 6:37 PM
I had the same experience with black, ad it turned out that it was cast but was a cheaper brand made in Malaysia. It came in an unmarked brown protective paper cover. The edges cut nicely but no glossy finish, it was more like matte edges. I stopped using them, and since have only gone for the brands made in the USA or Mexico such as Acrylite.

Clark Pace
09-11-2015, 9:51 PM
I had the same experience with black, ad it turned out that it was cast but was a cheaper brand made in Malaysia. It came in an unmarked brown protective paper cover. The edges cut nicely but no glossy finish, it was more like matte edges. I stopped using them, and since have only gone for the brands made in the USA or Mexico such as Acrylite.

Cast smells sweeter when laser engraved. Extruded has a more pungent smell

Rich Harman
09-11-2015, 11:47 PM
Cast smells sweeter when laser engraved. Extruded has a more pungent smell

You could also set a piece of it on fire. Cast will crackle, extruded will melt and drip flaming balls.

Clark Pace
09-12-2015, 9:56 AM
You could also set a piece of it on fire. Cast will crackle, extruded will melt and drip flaming balls.

If you have a table saw. Cast cuts easier. Less melting