PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what is WRONG with HF compressors..

Harry Thornton
08-24-2005, 7:46 PM
...you can tell me anything you want good or bad but here is what I want to know: Have you had experience with their $89 specials? They have a couple of them. One is a two tank, 5 gal unit, the other is a "pancake" model. They have another unit that is frequently on sale for $99 that is 8 gal, 2.5 hp.

I buy from a retail store in Atlanta area so reliablity/return is not such an issue. I would buy the extended warranty. I am an infrequent hobbiest with a low budget so the choice is "go cheap or don't go". Notice I did not say "wait".

If HF compressors are dangerous or rediculously unreliable, I don't want one. If they are OK for infrequent use, I would like one. Recommendations and advice appreciated.

Matt Meiser
08-24-2005, 8:07 PM
I have one of the twin tank models for when I need a portable compressor. I keep in in the garage for filling tires, air mattresses, etc. Works great so far. It is oil filled, which I see as an advantage.

Bernie Weishapl
08-24-2005, 8:25 PM
Harry, can't tell you what is wrong but can tell you what is good. I have the oil filled 8 gal. 2.5 hp unit and it works like a champ. This is the second one I have had. I got the first from my brother while he was in school and told me I could use it until he got out. I used it for 4 yrs. or so and not a lick of problem. Then bought a Sears and then a Campbell that both went south at about 5 or 6 yrs. old.

Don't think you would go wrong with the 8 gal, 2.5 hp oil filled unit for $99.

Bernie

Andy Howard
08-24-2005, 9:08 PM
Dont get the $89 unit. They do not have a regulator on them. Spend the extra 10 bucks and get the $99 unit. Comes with a regulator, and a bigger tank. I have one and have used it a lot over the past 2 years I have had it....no problems at all, and I probably overwork it at times. Oil lube is great and probably keeps it from burning out on me with the extreme use I give it.

Andy.

Jim Becker
08-24-2005, 9:13 PM
I bought a small unit with a regulator, etc., from the 'Depot on sale for $89. Husky brand. So the HFT unit(s) don't sound like much of a bargan to me.

Matt Meiser
08-24-2005, 9:30 PM
Forgot about that. I had to add a regulator and buy a couple brass fittings to fit it in tightly. That probably added $10. Jims Husky sounds like a better buy, but I didn't see anything that cheap when I was looking at the big boxes.

Harry Thornton
08-24-2005, 9:43 PM
I bought a small unit with a regulator, etc., from the 'Depot on sale for $89. Husky brand. So the HFT unit(s) don't sound like much of a bargan to me.

Interesting...but why do you believe the Husky to be of superior quality? Is it made in the US? Also, if the unit is smaller, that is smaller motor and tank, does that mean anything in terms of reliability or does it just mean you can't run three jack hammers on it?

Jim Becker
08-24-2005, 9:53 PM
I was only refering to the fact that there are alternatives from name brands and local stores if you look around. I couldn't tell you anything about the quality of the HFT unit...I don't shop with them anymore. The Husky I have as a small portable for nail gun use in my house is likely made by Campbell Hausfield, although it could have been made by someone else. It's actually quiet which is surprising for an oil-free compressor and has a cooling fan. That said...it's not close to the quality of my 60 gallon IR in the shop nor is it capable of much more than I use it for!

As to your question about smaller...before you buy any compressor, decide what you want to use it for. The tools you intend to use all have an air delivery requirement measured in SCFM @ xx psi. A small compressor is likely fine for nailers and filling the tires of small garden equipment, but is inappropriate (often incapable) for other applications, such as spraying finishes. That kind of application requires a lot of air and preferably a system that runs less often because it has a large tank. (That's why I have a 60 gallon compressor for the shop) So decide your usage and then by a compressor that can service that usage.

BTW, the Qunicy brand or compressors that HFT sometimes has available is excellent.