PDA

View Full Version : Old construction electrical box

Bruce Volden
09-10-2015, 7:23 PM
I'm stumped! We're adding a 16' X 16' two story addition to our 100+ year old house.

I need to run the wiring for 110V service in 3 separate areas in both stories. I have 5/8"
walls on the old house (these were outside walls) which will be sheetrocked for new addition.

I bought old construction electric boxes and they won't fit deep enough (screw for ears too short).
Is there an add on for proper depth of boxes? Longer screws?

This has to be an easy fix but being an overthinker I'm lost at the present. I've done miles of wiring
but never come across this problem.

What say the 'Creek? Thanks for any solutions.

Bruce

Tom M King
09-10-2015, 7:58 PM
I've used longer screws. I like the heavy duty plastic boxes-not the cheaper shiny plastic ones. With longer screws, sometimes the "gate" can get out of position in the process of tightening. I think that problem is friction on the screw, and a dab of Vaseline on the screw makes it go right in with no problem.

Bill Neely
09-10-2015, 8:06 PM
Google Madison Electric old work boxes, they may be what you are looking for. I used them in our house where the walls are 3/4" thick.

*Edited to add that I used the gray plastic boxes, they screw into the stud at an angle. If they sit too deep, just add a spacer at the back.