PDA

View Full Version : More vacuum questions

Michael Cole
09-10-2015, 6:36 PM
I am confused. I have been researching and have questions about the Feins. There seems to be two models, the Turbo I and II. Only the II seems to be a Hepa model. There is quite a size difference. Do both of them have adjustable suction? It seems people say you want that feature for sanders, otherwise it doesn't matter. I would want to use a sander, though. How about the Hepa filter? Is that important enough for the larger model? Thanks for the help. I want to research this all out before I buy something.

Lee Schierer
09-10-2015, 10:33 PM
There is also a Turbo III (http://www.coastaltool.com/a/fein/turbo-iii-fb.htm) and IV. I don't know if the Turbo IV is still being made. It was a commercial duty unit.

Victor Robinson
09-11-2015, 12:42 AM
Both the new Turbo I and Turbo II have adjustable suction. This is accomplished by varying airflow in the hose, NOT by buttons that change the motor speed as in previous generations of the Feins or as in the Festools.

Both the Turbo I ($300) and Turbo II ($400) come with 1 micron filters. Both can be upgraded with a [expensive] HEPA filter. There is probably a model of the Turbo II that comes standard with the HEPA filter. The previous generation models used to take a generic $30 HEPA filter; in these new models, you must buy the $110 Fein HEPA filter.

I have been a strong proponent of the Fein vacs (over Festool) in the past, but the new models are frankly disappointing and I'd see no reason to get them over a Festool, especially if you were going for HEPA filtration. I'm glad I bought my second Turbo I just before they came out with the new models.

Yes, the adjustable suction is nice for sanders. When you dial in the right amount of suction the sander floats on the surface without getting stuck and skipping around.

Greg R Bradley
09-11-2015, 10:11 AM
I agree exactly with Victor on this.

Also seem lots of complaints with failures on the new ones. I was also able to buy Feins at a big discount, which seems to be unavailable on the new ones. I paid $303 each for a Turbo II HEPA and a Turbo III. It also looks like the tool end connector has become bulkier, which is another issue.

Count me in with Victor as a former big fan of Fein Vacs.