PDA

View Full Version : Delta Contractor's Saw 34-444

Michael Moscicki
09-10-2015, 6:10 PM
I currently have access to my dad's Ryobi benchtop saw that I can't find the fence for, nor does the miter slot fit my Incra 1000HD miter gauge.

I know this question has been asked before. I know that it is not as powerful or easy to adjust as a cabinet saw and have read about the limitations of contractor's saws. That being said, it is a Delta contractor's saw model 34-444 from circa 1990. It comes with a Biesemeyer fence, mobile base, outfeed table, and dust collection box. The left side has a router table, which I won't use as I have a standalone table. The right side has a storage compartment, minus the accessories in it. The switch has been upgraded. It's on the bay and I think I can get it for $175 plus tolls and gas. I think the price is great considering the Biesemeyer fence. So price isn't an issue.

Anything I need to lookout for in particular with the Delta 34-444?

mark kosse
09-10-2015, 7:15 PM
Do you have access to see it before you buy it? The only issue these ever had was the bearing type. For a while Delta used a water pump type bearing and the bearing is identified by the arbor threads. If they are machine type ( v thread ) it is a water pump type bearing which are harder to find and to replace. If the threads are acme (flat on top?) it has standard bearings. For 175.00 I'd buy it either way.

Bruce Wrenn
09-10-2015, 7:47 PM
For $175, including Bies. fence, I would be all over it like a duck on a June Bug. Fence costs more than that.

Charles Lent
09-11-2015, 6:58 AM
Yes, buy it, but make sure it's in good condition. Turn it upside down and look for cracks in the cast iron pieces, especially where the trunions attach to the table top. Also look for Acme threads on the arbor. The standard table extensions are stamped steel, but work well. The motor that came with these saws is a bit unusual. It's rated as 1.5 hp on 120 volts, but 2 hp on 240 volts. These saws were specially designed to work on a 15 amp circuit on a jobsite at 1.5 hp but it could also provide an additional 0.5 hp if 240 volts is available, such as back in the cabinet shop. I bought a 34-444 saw for my son 3 years ago and he's using it for a complete home remodel. The only problem that I see with the "Contractor" variety saws is that there is little that you can do to contain the sawdust. A bag is available that attaches to the bottom of the saw with snaps that will catch what falls straight down, but the saw cabinet openings allow a lot of sawdust to go wherever it wants to. For $175 it's a great buy if the saw is complete and working, the cast iron is good, the arbor is Acme threaded, and you don't mind the sawdust.

Charley

Mike Circo
09-11-2015, 9:30 AM
Heck yeah, get it!
I've had one with a Unifence for nearly 20 years and it still works perfectly. In my opinion that is one of the best "contractor" saws ever made and rivals some cheap "cabinet" saws.

Make sure it has the original motor. Not a critical issue, but he original Delta motor was a sweet piece of engineering. Two capacitors, a start capacitor and a run Capacitor allowed it to give full power even under heavy load. Additionally it consumes less amperage making it easier on your electrical system (13.6/6.8 amps if I recall) Additionally the motor has a winding arrangement that gives it a true 2hp when configured for 220 volt.

Truly a good score if you get it.

lowell holmes
09-11-2015, 9:41 AM
+1 for the Delta with Unifence. I have a 15 year old one that is going strong.

Von Bickley
09-11-2015, 12:40 PM
Sounds like great deal to me.........

Harold Weaver
09-11-2015, 1:43 PM
For $175.00 you would be buying a Biesemeyer fence system and getting a free saw. What are you waiting on! By the time you figure out that you want to buy it, someone else will have already come to that conclusion.

Michael Moscicki
09-11-2015, 2:03 PM
Fell asleep at the helm thinking no one else would bid. Figuratively of course, as in watching a youtube video of someone making a coffee table. Should have been paying attention.

Guess it is a sign that I just need to save up and get one of the unisaws that have been staring at me for the past couple of weeks if not months.

Harold Weaver
09-11-2015, 3:23 PM
Hmmmm. Like I said, someone else already came to that conclusion. Sorry you missed out, but a Unisaw or PM66 are great saws to have. I have 2 66s and one Unisaw and no room!

They are both good quality saws and if you can find a used one in decent shape, with a little elbow grease you will not regret missing out on the contractor saw.

scott spencer
09-12-2015, 9:16 AM
That's a sweet deal. The end performance will be largely determined by how well you set it up, and the blade selection. With those details taken care of, limitations shouldn't be a major problem (if any).

Alex Burkhardt
09-12-2015, 9:39 AM
I picked up a 34-444 several months ago, and have found it to be a great saw. I paid over $200 without an upgraded fence, and feel like it was a very fair deal. Dust collection is lacking, but then again i believe most saws in this class struggle in the same way. At this age, these older Deltas represent some of the last machines at this price point to be made in the US. i wouldnt hesitate to pull the trigger should you see another.

Bruce Wrenn
09-12-2015, 9:35 PM
Additionally the motor has a winding arrangement that gives it a true 2hp when configured for 220 volt. Motor was down rated on 110 so it could be sold with a 15 amp plug. When motor is set up for 220, the two run windings are in series, and parallel for 120. If either of the windings were different from the other, current balance wouldn't occur on 110. Truly a "smoke and mirrors " game. My Delta contractor's saw has a true 2.0 HP Century motor on it, which pulls 19 amps at max load on 110 (actually around 125 - 127 volts in our area.)