PDA

View Full Version : Corel Fill question

Jeff Belany
09-10-2015, 4:21 PM
I have an outline from a trace I did that I need to fill with black. I have done this before and I know I need to make sure there are no gaps. I have checked very carefully and there are no gaps. There are more than one segment but all gaps overlap. Should I be doing something else before doing the fill? I'm assume I'm missing something but, in reality, I don't do this very often. Is there another command other than close gap which fills in parts of the outline but not the whole outline. Been messing with this all day and getting frustrated. Need some help from the gurus.

Jeff in northern Wisconsin

Bob WrightNC
09-10-2015, 4:31 PM
Jeff, do a lite engrave on blue painters tape if that's an option. Then you can see exactly where it will engrave and see any gaps. On my 80 watt, I do 18, 50 500 on the tape. Good way to see where you are at.

Brian Leavitt
09-10-2015, 4:35 PM
The nodes should really all be connected to fill properly. You can open the "Join Curves" docker to connect them easily. You just adjust the gap tolerance until you see the nodes connecting and hit "Apply". Other than that, you might be able to get away with making a change in the program options. If you open "Options", click "Document" > "General". In that section there is an option to "Fill Open Curves". It may be deselected by default (It is for me). If you select that, you may be able to fill your object without connecting all of the nodes.

Jeff Belany
09-10-2015, 4:46 PM
I'm sure there are no open gaps. I don't have a 'Join Curves' Docker in X4. I do have X6 but haven't installed it yet. Changing the 'Fill Open Curves' only fills in small areas around the edges.

Bert Kemp
09-10-2015, 4:58 PM
Look under arrange for join curves

I'm sure there are no open gaps. I don't have a 'Join Curves' Docker in X4. I do have X6 but haven't installed it yet. Changing the 'Fill Open Curves' only fills in small areas around the edges.

Mike Null
09-10-2015, 6:10 PM
See if you have the "smart fill" tool. That should do the trick. I don't know if it was in X4 or not.

Tony Lenkic
09-10-2015, 8:08 PM
X4 should have smart fill tool. It's in X3 as well.

Jeff, most likely you converted outline to object and that will result if thin fill you see. Are you at liberty to post your file for us to look at?

Jeff Belany
09-11-2015, 1:45 PM
I didn't convert to object. I did try to convert to bitmap and then retrace it. That didn't work. I will try the smart fill tool also. Tried to attach the file but says it is too large. Only one outline smaller than 4"x5", don't understand how this can be over 1 meg. But that's what Sawmill Creek says it is. Sorry.

Jeff

Jeff Belany
09-11-2015, 1:53 PM
Here is the file I mentioned in my last post. When I did a 'save as' just teh selection it said it was over 1 meg. So, I copied it to a new blank page and now 38k. Not sure why but here is is.

Bert Kemp
09-11-2015, 2:33 PM
I just filled that file you sent with out doing anything to it. filled it black by clicking the black fill sq lower left corner . was there something I missed?

I have an outline from a trace I did that I need to fill with black. I have done this before and I know I need to make sure there are no gaps. I have checked very carefully and there are no gaps. There are more than one segment but all gaps overlap. Should I be doing something else before doing the fill? I'm assume I'm missing something but, in reality, I don't do this very often. Is there another command other than close gap which fills in parts of the outline but not the whole outline. Been messing with this all day and getting frustrated. Need some help from the gurus.

Tony Lenkic
09-11-2015, 4:04 PM
Jeff,

Try attached revision.
Note: original red outline is still there.

Jeff Belany
09-11-2015, 5:38 PM
Don't know what to say. I made 3 duplicates and was working on them. One works and the others don't? Not sure what happened. Thanks for all your help. I'm going to do 2 more maps so I'll see what happens.