PDA

View Full Version : Coloring Bottoms of Acrylic Awards

Braden Todd
09-10-2015, 12:30 PM
I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to add color to the base of clear acrylic awards. I have seen some from JDS where they have used what appears to be thin mirrored acrylic, but others look to be a paint or foil of some type.

Any ideas of the product and adhesion process would be great.

Thanks!

Joe Pelonio
09-10-2015, 10:02 PM
Sign supplies sell a mylar film (like vinyl) with the adhesive on the gold or silver side, that can be applied, then cut around it. The result is a mirror-like effect.

Braden Todd
09-10-2015, 10:15 PM
Sign supplies sell a mylar film (like vinyl) with the adhesive on the gold or silver side, that can be applied, then cut around it. The result is a mirror-like effect.

Thanks Joe! I was getting worried there may not be any answers. I tried painting some pieces, but definitely need that foil/mirror appearance I think. I'm going to call around tomorrow and see what all colors I can find. Seems like a great option to add value to clear pieces.

Joe Pelonio
09-11-2015, 6:40 PM
For small quantities, you might stop by local sign shops and see if they will sell (or give) you some scraps of various colors including regular vinyl. You don't have to worry about it being vinyl since you won't cut it on the laser. I threw away many pieces that were too small for sign work over the years, or gave it away to schools for projects.