PDA

View Full Version : Podium from a novice.

Scott Brader
09-10-2015, 12:12 PM
I built this cherry podium for my son's church. They were replacing an old one that has probably been around since the 70's or 80's. It's solid cherry wrapped around a center post with solid cherry feet. The top is cherry plywood with solid cherry edges. I finished it with one coat of 1# shellac followed by three coats of lacquer.

It was a learning experience for me. There are some things I would do differently if I were to do it again, but it suits their purpose so I guess it's okay.

Bruce Page
09-10-2015, 1:32 PM
Nice work. The cherry will darken and it will be a classic for another 40 years.

Mike Henderson
09-10-2015, 1:40 PM
Nice job. Cherry is a very beautiful wood and it gets darker with age. Congratulations.

Mike

Scott Brader
09-10-2015, 1:48 PM
Thanks! I had to talk them out of staining it. They wanted to go with a deep, Washington Cherry stain. I convinced them that leaving it unstained would result in a much prettier piece for much longer. The stained version would probably end up looking black after a decade where this will only continue to look better with time.

Larry Browning
09-10-2015, 1:56 PM
Very nice! Cherry is my favorite wood.
Not to be nit-picky, but, that is actually a lectern, a podium is an elevated platform which can incorporate a lectern.
I say this, only because I have been corrected several times myself and it has been engraved in my head!

Scott Brader
09-10-2015, 2:01 PM
I learn something new every day.

Jay Aubuchon
09-10-2015, 3:17 PM
That's attractive. Good job resisting the pressure to stain.

Yonak Hawkins
09-10-2015, 5:48 PM
Very nice, Scott. It looks like it will do the job very nicely, in style.