PDA

View Full Version : Buffing out Waterlox High Gloss on dining table

Taylor Seidel
09-09-2015, 11:14 PM
I have a question. My table has been sitting for 3 weeks now, and 9/18 is when it will be ready for buffing out. I decided not to rub out the finish because the surface isn't flat enough for that. I put about 14 wipe on coats of the Waterlox High Gloss.

How would you approach buffing it out, without losing the high gloss? What sanding products/polishing compounds would you recommend for this job?

David Hawxhurst
09-10-2015, 9:21 AM
if by rubbing out you mean to sand the finish level? then polish back up to high gloss. if you can see the unevenness in the finish now you will still see it after polishing. polishing will remove some of the finish. in which case i would add more layers of waterlox then sand it flat and polish it back to high gloss.
are you not happy with the gloss level? its been my experience that polishing waterlox does not increase its gloss a noticeable amount to my eyes.
are you familiar with machine polishing? a rotary type machine would be my preference. if your new to it i would recommend that you use a dual action (da) type polisher. not all da sanders are capable of driving a polishing pad.
but if you want to i would use a finishing polish with a finishing pad. i use automotive polish/compound products on my wood finishes. my go to products are from 3d and optimum.
unless you sand i would skip the polishing.

Prashun Patel
09-10-2015, 10:12 AM
Post a picture, please.

Questions:

What kind of wood is it?
What do you mean by flat in this context? (do you mean the surface has some undulations in it or that the finish has not filled in the pores completely so there are tiny craters in the surface?)
Which Waterlox product exactly did you use and how much did you thin it for each coat?