PDA

View Full Version : A way to attach this, part 2

steven c newman
09-09-2015, 1:20 PM
Well, since everyone said I needed to add a few things to this vise...

Found some 5/4 stock. Also pine. Marked it for size, plus a hair. Got it cut to size, clamped up in the vise where it will go. Replaced the short screws holding the moving jaw's face board, one at a time. Hammerdrill to install LONGER screws...#8, I think. had to predrill for them, too.

Now, about adding a dog hole....
Got out a square, laid out where it lined up with existing dog holes. Had a "cordless drill and a #12 bit
321089321090PEXTO 12" Samson Chuck, 3/4" drill bit. Took a couple tries to get it just deep enough
Liked this so well, I added another "set"
You can also see the large screws. Added a few extras on the ends, too. Test drive?
Works for me. Did a little clean up on the "new" edges of the vise. jack plane to re-level it with the bench's top. Block plane to champfer a few edges..
The "new" face is still a bit rough sawn....might leave it that way..better grip.

steven c newman
09-09-2015, 3:01 PM
haven't decided yet, whether to add a line of dog holes down the back of the bench....

The 5/4 plus the 3/4" thick facesmakes a nice thick face. Didn't see a need to make it any wider, but it is just a hair deeper.

had to lay down on the floor, to install the two lag screws. Used my son's impact driver to drive them home.

Think I need a dog hole in the center of the vise? Or is that overkill?

Seems to hold a panel in place, in either direction. Like I said, 95% of all the action on this bench is out here on the end. Might find a way to use the leg vise with it....someday..

James Pallas
09-09-2015, 4:42 PM
Hi Steven, Looks good. A couple of things to be aware of. If you clamp a narrow board using only one of the dogs the vise will rack so a dog in the center may be a good idea. Also when you clamp between dogs you are not clamping against the rear jaw of the vise. The lag bolts are in slots on the bottom of the vise so the screws you have in the rear jaw and in your end board are taking all of the force of the vise. Even those small vises can generate a lot of force,easily enough to pull out several wood screws. Just some things to think about.
Jim