PDA

View Full Version : Who can make me one of these (Gang saw arbor for unsiw)

tom suica
09-09-2015, 12:36 PM
(Request deleted)

watch this youtube video i made about it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ-ondygqVQ (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RQ-ondygqVQ)

I will probably get rid of the bolt and thread the end where the last blades goes for a big nut. Whatever is safer

Brian Backner
09-09-2015, 2:01 PM
I could make that, but I would not for fear of it failing under load. Putting a total of five blades with the last one being cantelivered that far from the support would put a tremendous moment arm on what would now be an undersized arbor. I think a bent arbor, which could lead to a catastrophic failure, would be a real possibility. I suggest you contact a mechanical engineer to see if this is even feasible - it might be doable with a stronger grade of steel used for the arbor - or by going from a 5/8" to a 1" arbor with custom blades. To be honest, until someone runs the numbers, I wouldn't want to be in the same room when you fire it up the first time. Most of the gang saws you will ever see have the blade arbor captured in rigidly supported bearings on both ends for just this reason.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV

tom suica
09-09-2015, 7:21 PM
I could make that, but I would not for fear of it failing under load. Putting a total of five blades with the last one being cantelivered that far from the support would put a tremendous moment arm on what would now be an undersized arbor. I think a bent arbor, which could lead to a catastrophic failure, would be a real possibility. I suggest you contact a mechanical engineer to see if this is even feasible - it might be doable with a stronger grade of steel used for the arbor - or by going from a 5/8" to a 1" arbor with custom blades. To be honest, until someone runs the numbers, I wouldn't want to be in the same room when you fire it up the first time. Most of the gang saws you will ever see have the blade arbor captured in rigidly supported bearings on both ends for just this reason.

Just my 2 cents. YMMV

I am getting to thinking the same.... Just buy a Tannewitz that can handle 5 inches of dado and laugh rather than be afraid theres gonna be a snapped arbor spinning inside my cabinet. My solution was a steel insert in the table with blade cuts ad power feeding and staying back. I was thinking 1 half the size where the nut only protrudes 1/2 inch past arbor bolt is not pushing it too much to keep it relatively close. My father is a Mechanical Engineer and I have not gotten his opinion on this. He may not take the time to calculate it because he irrationally hates/fears woodworking machinery.

does making 1 half the size scare you?