PDA

View Full Version : House Trim Profile

Ron Willmert
09-09-2015, 3:21 AM
I have spent hours on the MLCS web site and I can't find what I need. I'm trying to match the profile on the trim around the garage, windows and doors (see photo). It seems like any router bits that have the shape I need, all have a bearing on them that makes them unusable for my application. The curved part of the profile goes from concave and then switches to convex and tapers off until the right edge of the trim. I've cut a 1/4" X 1 1/8" piece out of the upper left corner (imagine the picture without the hoopdy-doo). Does anyone have any ideas how to get this profile cut? It doesn't have to be exact, but something close would be nice.

I've thought about trying to make a scratch stock, but since I'm going to have ~150 ft of trim to do I don't know if that will take a ton of time to do, so I had planned on using the router table and some feather boards. Any suggestions would be appreciated!321072

Allan Speers
09-09-2015, 3:38 AM
How about making it in two pieces, (cut "down the middle" as viewed in that photo) then gluing them together?

Joe O'Connor
09-09-2015, 6:33 AM
Google brick mold router bit.

George Bokros
09-09-2015, 7:13 AM
Yes that is brick mold and should be available from any full service lumber yard. That is a stock profile for most lumber yards.

Mel Fulks
09-09-2015, 11:26 AM
Ron,the piece you show has the heart side out which is wrong ,should be the bark side. The heart side will pop up those razor blade like grain edges. I had to buy some recently and examined and refused all run the wrong way . Yeah they complained, I don't care.

Walter Plummer
09-09-2015, 12:06 PM
We have used this one. http://www.eagleamerica.com/product/v139-2005 .

Dan Neuhaus
09-09-2015, 8:59 PM
Definitely brick mold. Local HD and Lowes stock it in both primed pine and PVC.

Ron Willmert
09-10-2015, 2:48 AM
Joe, George, Walter, and Dan, you guys are spot-on. I ordered a brick mold bit from Amazon, should be here Saturday.

Alan "How about making it in two pieces"
I'm going to keep that in mind but I'm going to try the brick mold bit first. I appreciate the outside-the-box thinking though, I need to be better at that.

Walter, I looked at the bit you suggested and it seems to be a little smaller than the existing profile, but if the bit from Amazon doesn't do it for me, I'll pick that one up.

Mel, when I make my molding I'll keep the heartwood in. Thanks for the tip. That's probably going to be more important for the new molding since the ring density on this wood is probably 1/4 of what the original wood has. The original trim would still be around the door if wasn't for this JERK:

Thanks for the help guys!

Rich Engelhardt
09-10-2015, 7:21 AM
The original trim would still be around the door if wasn't for this JERK:Rocket J Squirrel is just finishing up what's already been started,,,,
When you put up the new stuff, make sure you back prime it and really soak the end grain with primer. I like to use a ton of latex caulk (the 25/30 year stuff) to bed the trim in also when I nail it up.
Water is death on that trim.

Bruce Wrenn
09-10-2015, 8:26 PM
Joe, George, Walter, and Dan, you guys are spot-on. I ordered a brick mold bit from Amazon, should be here Saturday.

I'm going to keep that in mind but I'm going to try the brick mold bit first. I appreciate the outside-the-box thinking though, I need to be better at that.

Walter, I looked at the bit you suggested and it seems to be a little smaller than the existing profile, but if the bit from Amazon doesn't do it for me, I'll pick that one up.

Mel, when I make my molding I'll keep the heartwood in. Thanks for the tip. That's probably going to be more important for the new molding since the ring density on this wood is probably 1/4 of what the original wood has. The original trim would still be around the door if wasn't for this JERK:

Thanks for the help guys!Looks like he needs some lead oxide in his diet, as in 22 caliber.

Bruce Wrenn
09-10-2015, 8:30 PM

Thanks for the help guys!

Looks like he needs some lead oxide in his diet, as in 22 caliber. Gotta get rid of him first, or your repairs will be in vain. He's a fuzzy tailed rat!

Brian Millspaw
09-10-2015, 8:56 PM
if the bearing is in the way, just remove it and grind down the stub. I have done this to many bits for special cuts.