PDA

View Full Version : Termites - how can I build a shop kiln?

Mark Gibney
09-08-2015, 11:20 PM
I killed maybe 20 flying termites in my shop today. Now I think I need to heat treat any pieces I make before I take it to the client. I need help on how to build a kiln for use in my shop.

I've searched the web for some ideas on how to make a kiln for a small shop, but I haven't found anything appropriate yet.

My shop is a rented space in an industrial park, so I cannot have a pot-bellied stove in a plywood cave like one video I watched.

A solar kiln sounds like a possibility (I'm in Los Angeles) but we're prohibited from having anything other than our vehicle in the parking lot.

I'd like to get the kiln environment up to 150 degree for about four hours, so if it involves a heat source I can run it during the work day and turn it off before I leave in the evening.

The biggest pieces I make are tables around 10' long, in case that influences your advice. It would be great if I can make something that beaks down for storage.

Any and all suggestions welcome!

James Tibbetts
09-08-2015, 11:38 PM
I built a small kiln from 3/4" styro insulation. It is 4'x3'x3'. The heat source is 3 x 100 watt bulbs with a 6" computer fan running on 120v. They will heat it to about 165* in around an hour. I don't see any reason the same thing on a larger scale won't work. Use the foil faced styro and hot melt glue. Making a break down design should be easy.

Mark Gibney
09-08-2015, 11:45 PM
James - do you have any venting on the kiln? - to stop it getting too hot?

Art Mann
09-09-2015, 12:08 AM
I suspect what you are dealing with is not termites. Even if it is, there is no threat to the customer. Termites are subterranean. They must have a path to the earth for moisture and they can not stand the light of day. That is why you see the little tell tale dirt tunnels they make under houses. They swarm from time to time as part of their reproductive cycle (I think) but flying termites will not infest the wood. One thing I would do is advise your landlord that his building may be getting damaged by termites.

Mark Gibney
09-09-2015, 12:50 AM
Thanks Art. I should read up on termites, instead of trawling the net looking for bargains on Jorgenson clamps....

Davis Young
09-09-2015, 12:54 AM
I'm less than 10 miles east of downtown LA and it's definitely termite swarm season. I had some 1x12 pine in the back of my truck that I put off unloading and in the morning they were sniffing around for sure. In the past I've seen them land, shed their wings and then dive bomb into some maple plywood of all things. They have red bodies and are about 1/4" long. Can't advise you on the kiln but at this size you can detect them burrowing in. The ones I caught yesterday I fed to a nearby ant trail. They love 'em.

Art Mann
09-09-2015, 9:52 AM
I would advise anyone to read up on the requirements for termites to survive and damage wood. There is a lot of incorrect information floating around. While you are at it, read up on powder post beetles, which are a real threat in many situations.

Bruce Wrenn
09-09-2015, 10:01 PM
As far as heater, an electric heat strip, with air handler could do the job. Scott Smith uses such as part of his dry kiln. If he doesn't chime in, contact him.

Robert Parent
09-10-2015, 8:03 AM
I would advise anyone to read up on the requirements for termites to survive and damage wood. There is a lot of incorrect information floating around. While you are at it, read up on powder post beetles, which are a real threat in many situations.

Do you have links to the 'real' information?

Thanks
Robert

David L Morse
09-10-2015, 8:42 AM
I suspect what you are dealing with is not termites. Even if it is, there is no threat to the customer. Termites are subterranean. They must have a path to the earth for moisture and they can not stand the light of day. That is why you see the little tell tale dirt tunnels they make under houses. They swarm from time to time as part of their reproductive cycle (I think) but flying termites will not infest the wood. One thing I would do is advise your landlord that his building may be getting damaged by termites.

Drywood termites (http://ag.arizona.edu/pubs/insects/az1232/) are not subterranean and it is swarming season in the Southwest.

ryan paulsen
09-10-2015, 9:13 AM
As far as heater, an electric heat strip, with air handler could do the job. Scott Smith uses such as part of his dry kiln. If he doesn't chime in, contact him.

Scott has offered a copy to an article many times as to how to build a sterilization chamber. Rigid foam insulation and a heat source will get you there.

Art Mann
09-10-2015, 10:19 AM
Do you have links to the 'real' information?

Thanks
Robert

No. Before I went back to school and became an electrical engineer, I got a degree in agriculture and worked for several years for a land grant university and the US Dept. of Agriculture. While in school, I studied the life cycle and control methods of many insect, including termites. While I was a County Agent, I took the test and became a certified pest control operator to enhance my knowledge of the subject. I must plead ignorance to something called dry termites. They must not be too important where I live because I have never heard the term before.

Mark Gibney
09-10-2015, 10:21 AM
Bruce and Ryan, how can I find this article by Scott Smith? - did some googling, no luck. Or how can I contact him?

thanks!

Kelby Van Patten
09-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Art, it seems your education was incomplete.

livingwithbugs.com/drywood_termite.html

"Drywood termite identification Unlike subterranean termites which built colonies in the soil, drywood termite colonies do not need contact with soil moisture nor any other water source. As their name suggests, drywood termites occur in dry wood that may be above ground level. Drywood termites build colonies in structural wood (see pictures below), fence and utility posts, furniture, moldings, door and window frames, and so forth."

Bruce Wrenn
09-10-2015, 8:15 PM
Bruce and Ryan, how can I find this article by Scott Smith? - did some googling, no luck. Or how can I contact him?

thanks!Mark, you are going to have one of those V-8 moments where you smack hand to forehead. In upper right corner of this page, enter his name into search function. Then PM him.

Mark Gibney
09-11-2015, 2:54 AM
Thanks Bruce. Didn't know about that function, pretty useful.