PDA

View Full Version : Confused on hand plane parts

Derek Richline
09-08-2015, 5:22 PM
So, I picked up one of those "Windsor Design #33" planes from Harbor Freight for $10. However, I am a bit confused on some of the parts. Sorry, no pictures. It doesn't seem to have a frog; the piece that holds the iron at a bevel is part of the casting. The iron is adjusted from either side with knobs, similar to a Stanley, which i like. The iron has a big slot in it, which matches with a screw that protrudes from the casting at an angle. the cap iron also has this slot, which transitions to a smaller slot. The iron loosely goes on, and then the cap iron over it. It slides down a tad, where the screw protrudes through the smaller section of the slot, the screw head locking it in place with a small bit of tightening. It then has a screw tapped into itself, which puts pressure on the iron, tightening it down. I actually love this design; it seems so simple. I flattened the back a bit, and I will sandblast the whole casting. Can I blast the sole, or will it take it out of flat? Thanks for any input; this my first time being on a forum.;)

steven c newman
09-08-2015, 5:45 PM
Pictures?
While this can be made to act as a smooth plane, it is more suited to be a scrub plane, ala Stanley #40. I ground a 3" radius on the edge.
The mouth is a bit too big to be a smoother, but is plenty wide for the thick shavings a scrub plane puts out. I sanded the sole flat. I had the iron retracted all the way and then sanded the sole flat.
and the sides do not really need anything done to them, as this will never be a shooting plane
So, sharpen it up as a scrub plane, load it up...
Those twin knurled items will adjust not only the depth of cut, they are also the laterals. No need to "blast" a thing. Besides, they are cheap enough, that IF another "better" plane should need new handles....these will work just fine.
BTW this one is over 4 years old....

Derek Richline
09-08-2015, 5:50 PM
Thank you very much

Jim Koepke
09-08-2015, 6:35 PM
Howdy Derek and welcome to the Creek. Your location isn't listed in your profile. You may live close to another member who would be willing to spend time with you to help you learn some of the finer points of plane use and woodworking.

Here is an image from a Stanley catalog to help with all the names of things:

Your plane is somewhat different in design than the typical Stanley from the early part of the last century. The idea of something to hold a blade in a fixed position is still the same.

jtk

Derek Richline
09-08-2015, 8:23 PM
Thank you very much. One last question, what are the planes called that have the threaded laterals? All the ones I see have the lever adjust, and I don't like those as much.

Edward Miller
09-08-2015, 9:05 PM
Thank you very much. One last question, what are the planes called that have the threaded laterals? All the ones I see have the lever adjust, and I don't like those as much.

Do you mean a norris-style adjuster?

Jim Koepke
09-08-2015, 9:22 PM

My recollection is Stanley sold gage planes, they bought the maker and continued a line. They do not have the two adjusters like the Harbor Freight plane. I have seen the type with two adjusters called gage planes. They are also sometimes listed as "auto set" planes.

There were many different plane designs. Only a few of them worked well enough to catch on with workers who used them all the time to make a living.

jtk