PDA

View Full Version : CBN Wheel Washers

Mitchell Carroll
09-08-2015, 3:30 PM
Hi, I'm getting ready to mount my new CBN wheel. I have an older woodcraft grinder. When I slip the wheel on ,it's nice and snug. With the wheel came one flat washer and two spherical washers. I'm confused as what to do with the washers ? Thanks..Mitch

Reed Gray
09-08-2015, 3:56 PM
Well, I have no idea about the spherical washers, or even what they are. If the wheel has been drilled to size, the flat washer could be to space it far enough away from the grinder so that you can thread the nut on. My Baldor grinder has a long shaft, and I had to put 5/8 inch thick machined washers in so the nut would go all the way down to the wheel. If the nut threads down to the wheel as is, and it isn't rubbing on anything, it is probably fine as is. The flat washer could be up against the wheel as well for better support to seat the nut.

robo hippy

David Delo
09-08-2015, 4:59 PM
Sounds as if you have the wheels from Ken at wood turning wonders. Flat washer goes on the shaft first up against the shoulder. Wheel goes on and then the thicker spherical washer, then the thinner spherical washer and the shaft nut. Be aware that not all grinder shafts are long enough to take all the washers. My CBN wheel is directly against the shaft shoulder. Just enough room to use the 2 outside spherical washers. Mine are his older style wheels and the hub on those is a little bit thicker than what he's offering now. I think the hubs now are 1/4" thinner.

Thom Sturgill
09-08-2015, 6:43 PM
After experimentation I ended up with all three washers on the outside being the most stable. I have his 4-way wheel on a Delta VS grinder.

Mitchell Carroll
09-08-2015, 7:28 PM
Thanks everybody. Now I know that I don't have to use all three, just what works best in my situation. And yes Dave, I too bought my wheel at least a year ago from Ken. Just didn't wear the old one out till now. Thanks again !