PDA

View Full Version : Video of Burglar Casing My Home with Close Up

Kent Adams
09-08-2015, 11:16 AM
See video clip from last night at 3:30am

https://video.nest.com/clip/20143cfc9237435a8c48ac8f7392dbe9.mp4

I have a Great Dane sleeping in the room next to the carport but he didn't wake up. If he had, all "hell" would have broken loose because that dog does not like strangers. I've called an electrician to hard wire a motion activated flood light as well as I will be moving my dog's crate so its facing out to carport, in the hopes that the flood light turning on will wake him up. I'm also going to move my camera today where its not reachable. Anyone else have any suggestions and do you think he is casing my place?

I love how he runs into my wheelbarrow with an 80lb sack of cement in it. I'm surprised the dog didn't wake up to that. However, I think my dog is more visual in cueing his protection mode. Below is a close up photo of the guy's face. I sent the footage to a local TV station and they may interview me tomorrow. If they do, I'll post a video of the newscast.

George Werner
09-08-2015, 12:00 PM
I would definitely say he was casing. Wearing gloves and covering his face like that makes it seem like he already knew the camera was there. Might be worth getting a copy of that video to the local PD, if he's casing your place he's probably casing others in the neighborhood too.

Pat Barry
09-08-2015, 12:48 PM
I agree - he approached with his face covered because he thought there was a camera, then he confirmed it. Why did he set it back to its original view?

John A langley
09-08-2015, 1:22 PM
I would do three things I Buy a gun if I didn't already have one 2 get that video to the police like others have suggested 3 i'll get the dog fitted hearing aids

Clarence Martin
09-08-2015, 1:52 PM
A couple years back, my GSP that is no longer around, stopped a Burglar from breaking into the house. It was around 12:45 or 1:45 AM , and the old boy was sound asleep on the Couch. Well, I was in the bathroom brushing my teeth and getting ready to go to sleep when I heard this loud , banging sound. Some jerk was trying to KICK IN MY FRONT DOOR !! That woke my Dog up and he went BALLISTIC!!! 4 TIMES, I saw that 170 year old Oak front door vibrate as it got kick after kick !!

As for my German Shorthair, he was ready to bust through the screen in the front window !!

The porch light went on, and that is when I saw the scumbag take off running.

God, I miss that Dog!

David Cramer
09-08-2015, 1:54 PM
I agree - he approached with his face covered because he thought there was a camera, then he confirmed it. Why did he set it back to its original view?

Because he plans/planned on coming back and doesn't want the homeowner to know that anyone was there...hoping that he won't look at any video footage if he, Kent, thinks it wasn't moved.

Scott Shepherd
09-08-2015, 2:13 PM
That's pretty scary stuff Kent. Like others, I'd have a call into the police and have an officer stop by and file a report. If he's checking our your stuff, he's checking all everything in the area, so it's worth letting them know so they can increase the patrol in that area.

I hope they catch him quickly, it's be pretty hard to go to sleep knowing he's still out there. Might even be worth a call to a local news channel. Get that video put on the news and bring the attention to the area and he might find someone else to move on to.

Kent Adams
09-08-2015, 3:02 PM
I have a close up screen capture of the perps face I'll post tonight. I've filed a police report (have to do it online), they may or may not contact me back. I put in the report I had video and a close up picture of the perp's face.

Wayne Lovell
09-08-2015, 4:36 PM
12 gauge full choke 00 buckshot. Pull the plug so you have at least 5 rounds in it.

Tom M King
09-08-2015, 4:49 PM
Sss...........

David Cramer
09-08-2015, 4:53 PM
Because he plans/planned on coming back and doesn't want the homeowner to know that anyone was there...hoping that he won't look at any video footage if he, Kent, thinks it wasn't moved.

Be careful. As I said, he moved the camera back so that you wouldn't think to check out the video, as most people wouldn't do if things looked normal, aka untouched.

When someone cases out an area, they'll be back "if" there's anything worth taking, hence the casing.

I won't get into extreme details, but I lived in an "interesting" area years ago. Students, yes students, would case out cars with "good" things inside. They then tell their buddies when the best time to strike is, while they are in school, and that's what they do.

Again, be careful as desperate people will do desperate things and it's not worth risking your life over...it's really not. Keep valuables out of sight or inside and let the police nab him.

Kent Adams
09-08-2015, 5:25 PM
Thanks David. I'm moving my 230lb dog and his crate next to the sliding glass window facing the carport and if he wakes up, he could scare an army of people. This dog's bark is loud and very vicious sounding. He's very aggressive with strangers. His bark can be heard for about 50 yards outside the house, its really jarring.

Mike Chance in Iowa
09-08-2015, 5:35 PM
Talk to your neighbors. Get the word out to them. Chances are very high they are seeing & hearing odd things happen too but no one is telling each other.

We had a situation like that years ago and not until several people had burglaries and started talking that we discovered LOTS of neighbors were having problems but had not reported it to the police or their neighbors to keep an eye for people that seem out of place. One gal even convinced herself that the footsteps she heard outside her bedroom window while her husband was a way was all her imagination.

Andrew Hughes
09-08-2015, 6:56 PM
My friend has a Great Dane I always wondered why most of his shirts had a tear in them,Until he let me interact with the dog bradley.Took about two seconds to tear my shirt just being playful.
So I don't think you need a gun your dog will probably fold that guy up like a lawn chair!

Kent Adams
09-08-2015, 7:09 PM
Andrew, the dog is about 6'5" standing on his hind legs and as strong as an ox (I can't play 'tug of war' with him anymore as he'll rip my arm out of its socket, he's a European Great Dane which are much more muscular than American Great Danes). He's extremely aggressive with strangers and when we take him out, we have to use an e-collar, dialed up to the highest setting and on continuous just to get his attention. When he barks aggressively, its is extremely intimidating. His tail goes straight up as if he is enjoying scaring people. These dogs were bred to take down wild boars in Europe. One time I was playing with him and chasing him through the house. He rounded a corner, hit the door to the kitchen and knocked the thing clean off the hinges and the door flew through the room. I have no doubt that if he can see someone coming into the carport, he'll go berzerk. Tonight we put his crate facing out to the carport so hopefully he will see anyone approaching. Thursday, we have the electrician coming out to hook up the motion activated flood lights that should light that carport like a football stadium.

Pat Barry
09-08-2015, 8:59 PM
Yes a big loud dog is a great deterrent unless the bad guy knows you have one. Please keep the poch in the house though. If he is barking call 911

David Cramer
09-08-2015, 9:42 PM
Thanks David. I'm moving my 230lb dog and his crate next to the sliding glass window facing the carport and if he wakes up, he could scare an army of people. This dog's bark is loud and very vicious sounding. He's very aggressive with strangers. His bark can be heard for about 50 yards outside the house, its really jarring.

Well done, the dog should definitely do the trick Kent:)

For what it's worth, 17 years ago a friend of mine ran out of his house when he noticed the dome light on in his vehicle and could see movement. He should have called the police. Instead he ran out to confront the guy, in the dark, and was shot. He died the next day. We were good friends in school and out. He died over a vehicle, something that was made in a factory and easily replaceable...like everything else but your life. My point, it's not worth it.

If your dog barks, please stay in the house and call the police. Your instinct may be to beat the crap out of him, but it's not worth risking a knife or gun yielding thief with no regard for human life.

Stay safe:)

David

p.s. I've got years of Tae Kwon Do experience, but I can't beat a bullet or a blade in the dark and would never think of trying to.

Kent Adams
09-09-2015, 4:26 AM
Good advice David. My first instinct would be to go outside and kick the snot out of the person, but like you said, its hard to beat a bullet/knife in the dark. Fortunately, the police in my neighborhood are very quick to respond.

Rich Engelhardt
09-09-2015, 6:51 AM
You need a parrot.......

"A burglar broke into a house one night. He shined his flashlight around, looking for valuables when a voice in the dark said, ‘Jesus knows you’re here.’ He nearly jumped out of his skin, clicked his flashlight off, and froze. When he heard nothing more, after a bit, he shook his head and continued. Just as he pulled the stereo out so he could disconnect the wires, clear as a bell he heard a voice....say, ‘Jesus is watching you.’ Freaked out, he shined his light around frantically, looking for the source of the voice. Finally, in the corner of the room, his flashlight beam came to rest on a parrot. ‘Did you say that?’ he hissed at the parrot. ‘Yep’, the parrot confessed, then squawked, ‘I’m just trying to warn you that he is watching you.’ The burglar relaxed. ‘Warn me, huh? Who in the world are you?’
‘I'm Moses.’ replied the bird. ‘Moses?’ the burglar laughed. ‘What kind of people would name a bird Moses?’
‘The same kind of people that would name their Rottweiler Jesus.’"

:D :D :D

Shawn Pixley
09-09-2015, 11:25 AM
Assuming your dog is woken, most don't want to take on a dog.

We have an alarm and dogs. Once when we were at work, the alarm went offand the police responded. When I got there, my dog was staring down the officer. He laughed, "with a dog like that, you don't need an an alarm. He scares off everything." My current dog will wake if he smells something off. Possoms, raccoons, etc. can't enter the yard without him sounding the alarm. A person entered the gate one night. I bet he wet his pants with the ferocious bark he faced. He was gone by the time I got to the door. I sleep well knowing my family is protected by my dogs.

Seriously, scary. I suggest you find a different location for your camera though. It didn't take him any time to find it.

Clarence Martin
09-09-2015, 12:44 PM
The advice is all well and good, but when the Police are 15 minutes or more away, the Homeowner is ON THEIR OWN !!! I have always felt that the Police are always around when you DON'T need them , and NEVER around when you DO need them. If some Burglar breaks into a House after Midnight, the chance of the Police getting there before the scumbag takes off with any valuables, or worse, beats up or kills the Homeowner; is slim!! The fact is, we have to look out for ourselves. We have to defend ourselves and our Property. Sometimes, property IS worth fighting for!

Clarence Martin
09-09-2015, 12:49 PM
Have to disagree with the reliability of a Home Alarm System. With Power outages, the Homeowner is at the mercy of the Battery backup. If the phone line gets cut, how can the Alarm system work?

Larry Browning
09-09-2015, 12:59 PM
Have to disagree with the reliability of a Home Alarm System. With Power outages, the Homeowner is at the mercy of the Battery backup. If the phone line gets cut, how can the Alarm system work?
Most alarm systems these days are connected to the alarm company using the cell phone technology, so there is no line to cut and the battery backup system is pretty robust and works for several hours without power.

Kent Adams
09-09-2015, 1:45 PM
Here is your fellow Creeker being interviewed by the local news:

https://video.nest.com/clip/1ca5d7c026764930995534af84cd856a.mp4

I'm told that I'll be on the 6 o'clock news. This is just my video filming them. Video does break up a couple of times before it continues.

Kent Adams
09-09-2015, 1:50 PM
A normal gun could not take down my dog, you'd have to have something like a .45 or a .357. My dog could not be taken down by a .38 or similar gun, even if shot in the head. If he gets a hold of you, he will kill you in short time. He attacks at your throat and being 6'5" there are few burglars taller. Also, there is no typical human stronger than this dog. Just the site of my dog acting aggressively is enough to frighten nearly anyone. He's not even fully grown yet. There is only one breed stronger than a Great Dane, and that is a Kangal.

Kent Adams
09-09-2015, 1:57 PM
Agreed on all points (dogs and the need to move the camera). I left the camera where it was last night hoping he would come back with my dog's crate right there. I also slept in that room last night. When you have such a large and extremely stranger aggressive dog like I have, no one will want to venture or hang around, no matter how large the person is.

Kent Adams
09-09-2015, 2:02 PM
The advice is all well and good, but when the Police are 15 minutes or more away, the Homeowner is ON THEIR OWN !!! I have always felt that the Police are always around when you DON'T need them , and NEVER around when you DO need them. If some Burglar breaks into a House after Midnight, the chance of the Police getting there before the scumbag takes off with any valuables, or worse, beats up or kills the Homeowner; is slim!! The fact is, we have to look out for ourselves. We have to defend ourselves and our Property. Sometimes, property IS worth fighting for!

I can't think of any property worth fighting for. If the guy had ventured out to my "then" unlocked workshop, he could have walked away with at least $1000 in brand new Forrest blades and a half dozen Festool tools. I think the camera scared him away. Had my dog saw him, I'm for certain he'd have run away fast. These guys are looking for easy scores. They aren't looking to "work" for something.

Jerome Stanek
09-09-2015, 3:29 PM
Alarm systems here don't work as we only have a sheriff's department. The alarm can go off for hours before someone shows up But almost everyone has a dog and most are loose to roam the property

Ted Calver
09-09-2015, 4:53 PM

Mine has a wireless telephone back up. Pretty common these days.

Scott Shepherd
09-09-2015, 6:01 PM
It would have been great to see the UPS guy that stopped to deliver a package walk in the background of the filming with a big box that said "Smith & Wesson" on the side :)

I suspect you have done your community a good service by doing that. Now the awareness will be so much higher and they'll probably catch the guy sooner rather than later.

Kent Adams
09-09-2015, 9:01 PM
He was delivering my flood lights :) I didn't know who was behind me until I watched the video :rolleyes:

Gary Yoder
09-10-2015, 6:23 AM
I can't think of any property worth fighting for. Absolutely. Stuff ain't worth getting killed over.

Rich Engelhardt
09-10-2015, 7:07 AM
I can't think of any property worth fighting for
I can...
Having something stolen from me has always left me with a sense that I was violated.
Yes - the item can be replaced, but, that's not the point.
I traded something that can never be replaced - my time - for everything I have/own.
For someone to just waltz in and take it away from me is just wrong on several levels.

Larry Browning
09-10-2015, 1:42 PM
I can...
Having something stolen from me has always left me with a sense that I was violated.
I traded something that can never be replaced - my time - for everything I have/own.
For someone to just waltz in and take it away from me is just wrong on several levels.

Your property is worth fighting for, BUT, there is a smart way and a dumb way. The dumb way involves putting yourself in danger of being seriously hurt or killed. The smart way involves doing things that discourage the bad guys from even trying to take you stuff. It also means getting the police involved and keeping yourself out of harms way. After all your own health and safety is a pretty valuable possession in itself.

Tom M King
09-10-2015, 2:45 PM
post the video to youtube

Steve Peterson
09-10-2015, 3:25 PM
Seriously, scary. I suggest you find a different location for your camera though. It didn't take him any time to find it.

Most cameras with night vision have a soft glow from the IR LEDs and are really easy to spot at night.

Steve

Bert Kemp
09-10-2015, 4:55 PM
I totally agree with you Rich, I had a $500 chainsaw swiped from my shed, I worked long and hard to save the money to buy that saw and I really felt violated, I drove around for days trying to track down the culprits. Never did find them. Someone here said call the cops, that's a joke, they flat out told me they couldn't do anything and they wouldn't even try, just a waste of time and man power to look for stolen merchandise. Lord help anyone I ever catch stealing my property.321140321141

I can...

David Cramer
09-10-2015, 10:24 PM
Respectfully Bert, you are missing one very important point. If it's something "outside", like in the video, and not someone entering your house, then why risk your life?

You are correct that the police can't do much once the culprit is gone, but you should always make a report. By doing so they can possibly link the same person with several crimes in the same area and increase the charges, hoping for more jail time, especially if they already have a record...most do:)

I'm married with 2 kids. If someone was stealing my chainsaw and I ran out in the dark to approach them, I risk the chance of never seeing my family again, never being a Dad or Husband again over a tool...too me it's not worth it. Yeah, they might not have any kind of weapon, but that would be unknown to me, so I'd be rolling the dice.

I agree with your frustration over the time and money spent to buy that chainsaw, honestly I do (I didn't say that I would be happy about it).

I don't even know you Bert and I'd bet the farm that you have both family and friends that would hope that you'd not approach a thief in a situation like that. It could end poorly over a chainsaw??? Your life is worth more than that.

David

I totally agree with you Rich, I had a $500 chainsaw swiped from my shed, I worked long and hard to save the money to buy that saw and I really felt violated, I drove around for days trying to track down the culprits. Never did find them. Someone here said call the cops, that's a joke, they flat out told me they couldn't do anything and they wouldn't even try, just a waste of time and man power to look for stolen merchandise. Lord help anyone I ever catch stealing my property.321140321141

Bert Kemp
09-11-2015, 7:07 AM
Thanks David I appreciate your concern, but its just my nature to protect and fight for whats mine. I will be armed when I confront anyone trying to steel from me. The reason these punks exist is because people let them.Cops can't be everywhere and we have to stand up for ourselves no matter what the outcome and the bad guys have to know that.

Respectfully Bert, you are missing one very important point. If it's something "outside", like in the video, and not someone entering your house, then why risk your life?

You are correct that the police can't do much once the culprit is gone, but you should always make a report. By doing so they can possibly link the same person with several crimes in the same area and increase the charges, hoping for more jail time, especially if they already have a record...most do:)

I'm married with 2 kids. If someone was stealing my chainsaw and I ran out in the dark to approach them, I risk the chance of never seeing my family again, never being a Dad or Husband again over a tool...too me it's not worth it. Yeah, they might not have any kind of weapon, but that would be unknown to me, so I'd be rolling the dice.

I agree with your frustration over the time and money spent to buy that chainsaw, honestly I do (I didn't say that I would be happy about it).

I don't even know you Bert and I'd bet the farm that you have both family and friends that would hope that you'd not approach a thief in a situation like that. It could end poorly over a chainsaw??? Your life is worth more than that.

David

Rich Engelhardt
09-11-2015, 8:19 AM
we have to stand up for ourselves no matter what the outcome and the bad guys have to know that.
Exactly....

Matt Day
09-11-2015, 8:42 AM
To each their own. We're all adults here, and it's going to be very hard if not impossible to change another persons view, especially through a ww'ing forum.

For those who would take matters into their own hands, make sure you don't shoot yourself or a family member please.

Scott Shepherd
09-11-2015, 9:44 AM
That's also a good way to end up sitting behind bars. Not too many states are going to allow you to go after someone and shoot them. There are plenty of people in prison for doing just that. The case against you is that your life wasn't in danger when you were sitting in the house and by going outside, you put yourself into the situation, which is a far different legal place than someone coming after you inside your own home.

I'd rather outsmart them than end up sitting in a cell next to one of them. Just my opinion. However, enter my house and all bets are off.

Bert Kemp
09-11-2015, 12:04 PM
All gun owners aren't idiots, some of us are trained and actually know how to use them.If you aren't trained and don't know how to use them then stay away:D

To each their own. We're all adults here, and it's going to be very hard if not impossible to change another persons view, especially through a ww'ing forum.

For those who would take matters into their own hands, make sure you don't shoot yourself or a family member please.

Rich Engelhardt
09-12-2015, 4:28 AM
It's not like we're going to run out guns blazing and yelling "Kill 'em all and let God sort them out"!
:D

IMHO - it's more along the lines of, the J.S. Mill, "A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions
of better men than himself."

J.S.Mill also said, "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing."

(A similar quote is often attributed to Edmund Burke - but - no one can seem to find the source for that...)

Bert Kemp
09-12-2015, 8:54 AM
Right, but If should see someone entering my property and trying to steal something, I think the sight of me approaching with a 12 gauge pump will make them think twice and run the other way. Like Rich said I'm not running out guns a blazing LOL How ever enter my home uninvited and its all over for you.

It's not like we're going to run out guns blazing and yelling "Kill 'em all and let God sort them out"!

IMHO - it's more along the lines of, the J.S. Mill, "A man who has nothing which he is willing to fight for, nothing which he cares more about than he does about his personal safety, is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so by the exertions

J.S.Mill also said, "Bad men need nothing more to compass their ends, than that good men should look on and do nothing."

(A similar quote is often attributed to Edmund Burke - but - no one can seem to find the source for that...)

Jim Koepke
09-12-2015, 9:10 AM
Right, but If should see someone entering my property and trying to steal something, I think the sight of me approaching with a 12 gauge pump will make them think twice and run the other way.

Maybe a cherry bomb or an M-80 released in their general vicinity would give them underwear issues making it easier for the police dogs to find them.

In all such situations, make sure to tell the authorities you were afraid for your life and the lives of your family.

jtk

Kent Adams
09-12-2015, 9:42 AM
All gun owners aren't idiots, some of us are trained and actually know how to use them.If you aren't trained and don't know how to use them then stay away:D

Bert, I'm a retired Marine and I know how to use guns. However, in these types of situations, where the intruder never enters the house, if you use your gun, you'll be going to jail most likely. BTW, my fists are generally a pretty good deterrent and I'm not afraid to use them :D

Kent Adams
09-12-2015, 9:44 AM

I'm willing to fight for my family, but I'm not willing to fight for the pressure washer in my carport. Call me crazy, but the risk/reward isn't there for me on a pressure washer. I'd rather file the insurance claim and have the police handle it.

Bert Kemp
09-12-2015, 11:52 AM
Kent THANK YOU for your service, as you can see by my avatar I too am a Marine, but I have health issues so my fist fighting days are pretty much over. I live in AZ and shooting someone outside for reasons other then fear for your life or a family members life might depending on the circumstances get you in hot water, but shooting an intruder in your home, no problem. Also my AZ ccw is valid in 35 states as I travel some I constantly check each states rules as they change pretty often some times. Still have figured why they change them seemingly at random but they do. But mostly just have to watch out for NY and IL, their pretty hard on gun laws.

Bert, I'm a retired Marine and I know how to use guns. However, in these types of situations, where the intruder never enters the house, if you use your gun, you'll be going to jail most likely. BTW, my fists are generally a pretty good deterrent and I'm not afraid to use them :D

Scott Hearn
09-12-2015, 1:34 PM
It's a question everyone has to answer for themselves with valid reasoning for whatever the answer is to each of us. But I will say that the "it's only property" mantra is IN FACT hogwash in some cases. If a lowlife is willing to take a tool that I need to complete a job in the morning so I can buy groceries to eat the next evening and gas to look for more work, he is IN FACT affecting my survival, he is IN FACT putting my life at risk. For this reason, if he chooses to do that I own him and what I do with him is my business. Not everyone has emergency savings and there are plenty that live from check to check these days and are in precarious situations and that's just a fact. I've been there myself and it's not a good place to be. Police reports do those folks nothing. So yes, property even with little perceived monetary value can in some cases mean survival to it's owner. It's not just a simple across the board issue that applies to everyone equally.

O/P you were definitely without doubt targeted and it looked like to me that he went straight to the camera.

Pat Barry
09-14-2015, 5:28 PM
Many of the comments here make think people live in Tombstone AZ, circa 1881. Some here sound like they are itching for trouble to come their way. In my opinion, using a gun outside the home is something that should be reserved for police only. Inside the home you better call 911 than purposely try for a confrontation. A stranger inside your home is not necessarily a justifiable reason for homicide.

John A langley
09-14-2015, 7:06 PM
Pat You're dead wrong and. And I do mean the Pun

Sean Troy
09-14-2015, 7:09 PM
Many of the comments here make think people live in Tombstone AZ, circa 1881. Some here sound like they are itching for trouble to come their way. In my opinion, using a gun outside the home is something that should be reserved for police only. Inside the home you better call 911 than purposely try for a confrontation. A stranger inside your home is not necessarily a justifiable reason for homicide.
yeah.. a stranger in your home is only there for a spot of tea... ;)

Scott Shepherd
09-14-2015, 7:11 PM
Let's get back on topic about Kent's issue guys. We've strayed away from his issue into some hypotheticals that usually don't end well on the forum.

Kent, any update or news to report?

Clarence Martin
09-14-2015, 10:23 PM
Let's get back on topic about Kent's issue guys. We've strayed away from his issue into some hypotheticals that usually don't end well on the forum.

Kent, any update or news to report?

I understand , but I also understand what it is like to have someone try to break into my home. When the Police are 15 minutes away, the homeowner is on their own. They can't just hide in their Bedroom , waiting for the Police to come and save them.

Dave Zellers
09-15-2015, 12:47 AM
Complete nonsense. If ever there was a perfectly natural evolution of a thread, this is it.

Kent Adams
09-15-2015, 6:15 AM
Hi Scott. I made the local news, hooked up 1500 watts of motion detectors in my carport, moved the dogs crate to the door and have seen nothing sense. I still never received a call back on my report to the police.

Scott Shepherd
09-15-2015, 8:00 AM
Complete nonsense. If ever there was a perfectly natural evolution of a thread, this is it.

In your opinion, it's complete nonsense. Gun control related threads aren't permitted here and there are several people that would like to drive this thread into a gun rights thread, which would mean it would be locked or heavily moderated. It was my intention to try and steer the thread back to the original poster rather than have it turn into a gun thread, which isn't permitted and would cause the thread to vanish or have a lot of posts vanish.

It was my goal to keep the thread going and get people back on topic. If some want to discuss gun rights and who/what/where/when you can use a firearm, this isn't the right forum for that.

It might be the natural progression of the thread, but it's also something that isn't allowed here, so we either get back on topic, or we post things that get moderated and then some people get bent out of shape for being moderated. It was a polite way to try and keep that from happening. Sorry you didn't see it as that.

Dennis Peacock
09-15-2015, 8:27 AM
The "evolution" of threads is what typically ends up being 1 of 2 things:
1. The thread grows and gains some really good info.
2. The thread grows and requires heavy moderation to try and keep it "on topic" as well as civil or the thread gets pulled to prevent further downhill sliding.

Each OP starts their thread with very good intent, it's just difficult for every reader to interpret other posts in the attitude as they were intended. We all have thoughts and opinions on every topic, but some require moderating and others require a good belly-laugh.

This thread did not start as a "gun" thread....it simply started with a video of someone casing out the outside of the OP's home. Let's do keep this on topic.....Please. ;)

John A langley
09-15-2015, 8:34 AM
Dennis I tried to start a thread on the appropriate use of guns and it got pulled maybe you and sheriff give us a list of what can't be discussed we already know in great length we can't say yellow submarine

Mike Ontko
09-15-2015, 1:42 PM
Something that might help to get this conversation back on track, and something that any of us can do as a precautionary step in the unlikely event of a home (or shop) invasion like this, or even in the event of a fire or other 'natural' catastrophe, is to create an inventory/record of the items you own including their original or second hand value, descriptions, pictures, and receipts. In most cases, they'll be covered under your homeowner's insurance policy and could be replaced or at least partially compensated for. And no, I'm not an insurance agent :)

Kent, glad to hear (read) that your catburglar has apparently decided to move on to other areas.

pps - have you thought about doing anything to hide or camoflage the camera, so the potential perp doesn't even suspect it's there?

Dan Hintz
09-15-2015, 2:36 PM
After several incidents at the old house with kids egging the cars, minor break-ins (SWMBO left her car unlocked), etc. I finally broke down and purchased a multi-camera DVR. I had two cameras in the carport area covering the front of the house and (mainly) the driveway. During a remodeling session with a dumpster out front, someone threw some "extra" material in the dumpster. I thought to myself, "Now that I have those cameras, I can likely identify the perp (probably a neighbor)!". It was at this point I discovered only ONE camera's motion sensor was activated... I had failed to activate the second motion sensor through the DVR, so no video was being recorded. Of course, it was the side that would have captured the generous person.

False sense of security :(

Kent Adams
09-15-2015, 4:08 PM
Something that might help to get this conversation back on track, and something that any of us can do as a precautionary step in the unlikely event of a home (or shop) invasion like this, or even in the event of a fire or other 'natural' catastrophe, is to create an inventory/record of the items you own including their original or second hand value, descriptions, pictures, and receipts. In most cases, they'll be covered under your homeowner's insurance policy and could be replaced or at least partially compensated for. And no, I'm not an insurance agent :)

Kent, glad to hear (read) that your catburglar has apparently decided to move on to other areas.

pps - have you thought about doing anything to hide or camoflage the camera, so the potential perp doesn't even suspect it's there?

Hi Mike, yes, I've moved the cameras now. When the electrician was out to install the motion activated flood lights, I had him install some outlets in the ceiling, which is 13 ft. high. The cameras are now 13ft. off the ground. :)

Ian Moone
10-04-2015, 10:43 AM
I am reminded of a few wise sayings that seem apt.

"Always remember - when seconds count, the Police are just minutes away!"
As for "talking with the neighbors to warn everyone"? Facts are ~ 85% of home burglaries are carried out by someone lives within your own block (i.e. a neighbor) or a relative!
Just seems like the guy KNEW you had a camera and went straight for it - thus had been in your carport before.
People with addiction problems are desperate for anything they can pawn for fast cash and their next hit...
"Better to be adjudged by 12 of your peers - than carried by 6".

Sign on the gate?

"Never Mind the Dog - the owners Armed & Ex Nam Vet, completely bat shyte crazy, certifiable & totally unpredictable, not to mention awful twitchy when his meds wear off - enter at your own risk (but best have your life insurance paid up first). Burglars WILL be shot without warning. Survivors, will be shot......again! Go Ahead, make my day"

Local Plods said my sign was "overly threatening and an affront to the neighbors" so i agreed to modify it... removed the reference to the dog. ;)