PDA

View Full Version : Miter Saw worth owning?

Bob Johnson2
08-24-2005, 4:51 PM
I currently own a CS, RAS, and a 10" MS, as my sone own none of them I'm considering giving him the MS. Other then the shear joy of owning all the tools one can own, can you think of a good reason why I shouldn't do such? As I see it the RAS is more versatile, and the CS is more accurate. Between the 2 I don;t see a reason for the MS to be taking up much needed space. I do occasionally like the portability of the MS, of course I only take it to my son's house...

The MS is NOT a slider.

Bob

Dave Avery
08-24-2005, 4:57 PM
Bob,

The only reason I haven't sold mine is that it's the one tool that my wife feels comfortable using. Rough translation - she wants to keep it. Dave.

Keith Burns
08-24-2005, 4:58 PM
Give him both, he will think you're great, and then get yourself a slider.

Don Baer
08-24-2005, 5:00 PM
Bob;
I think you anwered your own question. I own a MS and a TS but no RAS. Since I have the first two I have no need for the third. I do find that setting up the MS is a lot quicker then my TS but for cutting anything over 6" I have to use the TS anyway.

JMHO

Keith Foster
08-24-2005, 6:02 PM
Being that I got started in woodworking by building a house, I can't imagine not having a CMS. I own two of them - one for the house and one for the farm. Then again, I don't have a RAS and I've never used one, so I'm not sure why I even posted. :p

Steve Rowe
08-24-2005, 6:40 PM
Bob,

12 years ago, I bought a miter saw. Three months later, sold the RAS with no regrets. Pretty much for the same reason you indicate - recover shop space. Last year bought a slider and am wondering why I still have a MS. BTW - forget about recovering shop space no matter what you do (get rid of tools or expand your shop), tools will expand to fill all available space. I wonder if this means that tools are like a gas which also expands to fill all available space?:D
Steve