PDA

View Full Version : Creeker's Weekend Accomplishments

Dennis Peacock
09-08-2015, 10:33 AM
8 Sep 2015

Good Morning Everyone,
I hope that each of you had a good holiday weekend. I realize that some still had to work their day jobs over the weekend but I still hope all was well for you too.

I've been asked to do some cabinet work for our local bowling alley. I still need to take measurements and get them a drawing of what things will look like when done and to finalize the overall "what do you want done" type of thing. I hope to know more about all that in the next 2 weeks.
The guitar build project is still in the works and I still have to get the guitar body painted and clear coated. I guess I'll get to that again in the next 2 weeks or so.
Been working a lot of hours at the day job and as we continue to loose people, we aren't allowed to fill those vacant positions. I guess we'll see how it all pans out.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past holiday weekend?

Best of weeks to you all.

Bill White
09-08-2015, 12:13 PM
Took down the venerable DeWalt 733 thickness planer for cleaning, change blades, sharpen those that I removed.
All together now. Last blade change was in Feb., '15.
Phew!
Bill

Charles Taylor
09-08-2015, 12:53 PM
There's an antique fireplace mantel that's been lying on the floor of our living room for two months, waiting as we replace the fireplace insert and redo the tile. This weekend I built a support to hold the mantel upright, added blocking in the wall that will hold it, and framed the rough opening for the new fireplace insert. Looks like the mantel will still be out in the room for a little while longer, but it isn't in the way quite as badly as before.

I also began taking my Unisaw apart for a bearing replacement. They're 30 years old, and one on the arbor growls and runs hot. I've pushed it as far as I dare.

Mike Ontko
09-08-2015, 1:06 PM
On Saturday, I got to play videographer at a brief 2 and 3 piece chamber concert (selections by Mozart, Handel, and Gliere) that LOML did as a prequel to the local symphony's upcoming season. That left me with the remainder of the weekend for working on my coffee table project, which I used (partly) for finishing double M&Ts for the bottom supports on the two end drawers. Even though I've got a plunge router with a guide fence, I'd decided to use a forsner bit and chisels for the mortises. Lesson learned there is that I'm pretty sure the results would be achieved much easier in the long run using the router. I don't have a tenoning jig yet, so I did the double tenons using a combination of my bandsaw and tablesaw with a crosscut sled, plus chisels for cleanup and fine tuning. After work hours this week, I'll be doing the top supports for the drawers using single lap dovetails, and will take some pictures when I do the initial dry-fit.

pic of the original design I'm copying:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=299486&d=1415116040

Bruce Wrenn
09-08-2015, 8:55 PM
Did a fish fry for FIL's birthday on Saturday night. (He is 95,and still lives by himself.) Made four lemon pies for fish fry on Saturday morning, along with usual biscuits. Had birthday get together with friends, family and church members on Sunday. Monday, did the Labor Day cookout with grand kids and FIL. Dropped off, and picked up flywheel for grand sons Honda.