PDA

View Full Version : Junior Hall

Bert Kemp
09-08-2015, 9:53 AM
Originally Posted by Junior hall http://www.sawmillcreek.org/images/buttons/viewpost-right.png (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?p=2453944#post2453944) Holly cow i am so over whelmed i want to do it all I need to calm my nerves down some more and come back and read this slowly I am going to save this in my favorites for this section Thanks Bert kemp thanks so much this is just totally unbelievable

Junior whats going on with the puzzles? you seemed to really be interested in doing this. Its a great money maker for you and really easy to do. I see posts from you after this moving on to other things.We've all told you several times to work with one thing and stick to it till you learn it.You can't do it all at once.Your bouncing from wood to glass to acrylic to bricks, to rubber to who knows what else. Every time we tell you how to do something you get excited and say your going to do it only to find 3 days later your asking questions on how to do something else. If this is how your going to do things your never going to learn laser engraving.Its not an overnight process. Look at the people who have been doing this for 20+ years and everyone of them will tell you they learn new stuff all the time, and everyone will tell you it took time to make their first buck.
Try working with the puzzles for a while I know you can sell these. you've wasted so much money on different materials to try to engrave, take a 100 bucks buy a cheap point and shoot camera. Go out and take some pictures of local points of interest. A nice covered bridge in you area, local historical sites, fall foliage by a river,ect. then print then on 8x10 glossy inkjet photo paper. Generate an 8x10 puzzle off one of the puzzle generators found on the internet.Glue the photo to a piece of 8x10 1/8th inch Baltic birch or some 1/8th inch stock from home depot, and cut it out with the laser. Make 10 or 15 of these say 3 of each photo, then find a place to sit outside where a lot of traffic goes by and try to sell them. Or Have a Yard sale. In my town we have several places were people set up tables on the weekends to sell their crafts and stuff.
One other thing is you have said on several occasions that you were going to post pictures of some of your stuff. We have yet to see you follow thru on this also. Posting pictures of what you have done will help us decide how to better help you. By looking at what you have done we can give you tips on how to make it better. So post some pictures hey a phone cam works just fine, just make sure it has enough light.

Junior hall
09-08-2015, 7:26 PM
Sorry Bert kemp got so involved with the puzzles having to much fun down loaded the puzzle thing that you all told me about and thats mainly all ive been doing. With the bouncing around thing i ask questions and then save the question and answers to a note pad. This way later on i can go threw my note pad instead of trying to find the answers on the forum and also so its not asked and answered repeatedly. I have done several drinking glasses and couple coffee mugs from dollar store but the coffee mugs well its harder to laser engrave with the paint that they us... I am just having a blast with the puzzle things as the other night i got up little after 2am and hooked computer up to machine and started cutting puzzle pieces out

I am still just over whelmed by what this box ( laser engraver )can do or shall i say the software. It just blows my mind. I think at times it can dance if i leaned how to make it dance. Waiting on it to learn how to make my supper and do my laundry and cut the grass so i didnt have to do it my self

Thanks to all that has helped teach em how to do the puzzles. Having way to much fun. thanks once again

Bert Kemp
09-09-2015, 9:35 AM
Great Junior lets see some pictures.

Sorry Bert kemp got so involved with the puzzles having to much fun down loaded the puzzle thing that you all told me about and thats mainly all ive been doing. With the bouncing around thing i ask questions and then save the question and answers to a note pad. This way later on i can go threw my note pad instead of trying to find the answers on the forum and also so its not asked and answered repeatedly. I have done several drinking glasses and couple coffee mugs from dollar store but the coffee mugs well its harder to laser engrave with the paint that they us... I am just having a blast with the puzzle things as the other night i got up little after 2am and hooked computer up to machine and started cutting puzzle pieces out

I am still just over whelmed by what this box ( laser engraver )can do or shall i say the software. It just blows my mind. I think at times it can dance if i leaned how to make it dance. Waiting on it to learn how to make my supper and do my laundry and cut the grass so i didnt have to do it my self

Thanks to all that has helped teach em how to do the puzzles. Having way to much fun. thanks once again

Linn Meyers
09-10-2015, 11:21 AM
Gotta go with Bert on this. I was initially all over the map. Started getting into boxes. Spent a week or two getting them good, then a week getting faster, then a week getting more efficient. 321123321124321125

Mike Null
09-10-2015, 11:57 AM
Linn

Beautiful work. Thanks for posting.

Linn Meyers
09-10-2015, 12:30 PM
Thank you Mike! I've gotten to where I can do about 10-15 a day. Got material cost down to less than a dollar a piece. They've been selling for 25-45 each depending on how many sides, and how involved the graphics. Was in the same boat as Junior initially. Just wanted to show how focusing on one thing for a while really helps. Gonna mess with glass next week. :-)

Bert Kemp
09-10-2015, 2:03 PM
Nice Box's Linn:) Thank You for your service also:cool:

Thank you Mike! I've gotten to where I can do about 10-15 a day. Got material cost down to less than a dollar a piece. They've been selling for 25-45 each depending on how many sides, and how involved the graphics. Was in the same boat as Junior initially. Just wanted to show how focusing on one thing for a while really helps. Gonna mess with glass next week. :-)

Junior hall
09-10-2015, 8:43 PM
Linn Meyers what are these made out of. Got material cost down to less than a dollar a piece... They are beautiful nice looking....

Just so dern much i want to do, but i am going to do one thing at a time and master it... The puzzles are fun.. I think i am THE MAN when im still a pee on All of these things i am wanting to learn to do just to see it in person the things that you all do i am wanting to do as they are so nice looking...

My problem is i got a camera phone i can take pictures but it will not upload to my dern computer and i am not goign to pay extra for internet on a phone when i have a computer for that... Also more things got to figure out on a dern phone..More of a headache .... No one around me has email... I live around a bunch of older folks... mid 60's retired... Also i am not up to date on cell phones as i am old fashion 43 years old give me a square rotary phone back in the 80's and i am happy. I do not need to watch tv listen to music on my phone play games a simple phone to call some one thats all i need any thing else nope not interested... Keep things simple im happy... As when i went to school to learn how to train dogs they drilled it into us KISS K.I.S.S. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID Don't try and invent a wheel when its all ready invented... If it isnt broke dont try and fix it

Bert Kemp
09-10-2015, 9:38 PM
Junior don't know what Linn is using but you can buy hard board at HD for 10 bucks an 4x8' sheet, thats 32 sq feet and you can build a lot of boxes out of that. Baltic Birch is also inexpensive.
Like I mentioned before buy a cheap point and shoot camera with a u s b hookup to computer and lets see some pictures.
Materials for this box were less then $4 , wood, mirror, hardware, and finish.321204321205321206

Bert Kemp
09-11-2015, 8:56 AM
Photo's taken with cheap Cam Junior

Kev Williams
09-11-2015, 10:26 AM
Pretty cool--

I've owned lasers for 13 years, never made a box... :)

Bert Kemp
09-11-2015, 1:36 PM
Well Kev its about time you make a box LOL:D

Pretty cool--

I've owned lasers for 13 years, never made a box... :)

Junior hall
09-11-2015, 2:28 PM
Bert Kemp i der most certainly will do this buy a cheap point and shoot camera with a u s b hookup to computer... Didn't know they made these but now i do ... Also beautiful picture you done awesome boss man awesome... HOW IN THE HECK DID YOU DO THE ONE WITH THE BLUE LIGHTS THAT IS SOO COOL AWESOME UNBELIEVABLE. AT times i want to throw my bed in the trash so i can not sleep so i can keep doing mirrors, wood, drinking glasses, and these gosh dern puzzles. I wish at times no one showed me these or this laser engraver. ITS ALL YOU ALL'S FAULT EVERY ONE OF YOU ALL'S FAULT LOL GRIN'S.. JUST SUCH BEAUTIFUL PICTURES

Bert Kemp
09-11-2015, 2:39 PM
Junior the 3 horses are engraved on a mirror and I back lit the mirror with a light in the box. Glad you like it.

Bert Kemp i der most certainly will do this buy a cheap point and shoot camera with a u s b hookup to computer... Didn't know they made these but now i do ... Also beautiful picture you done awesome boss man awesome... HOW IN THE HECK DID YOU DO THE ONE WITH THE BLUE LIGHTS THAT IS SOO COOL AWESOME UNBELIEVABLE. AT times i want to throw my bed in the trash so i can not sleep so i can keep doing mirrors, wood, drinking glasses, and these gosh dern puzzles. I wish at times no one showed me these or this laser engraver. ITS ALL YOU ALL'S FAULT EVERY ONE OF YOU ALL'S FAULT LOL GRIN'S.. JUST SUCH BEAUTIFUL PICTURES

Junior hall
09-11-2015, 4:46 PM
Bert kemp i am assuming you done the engraving on the back of the mirror correct just looks so dern awesome ... I need not even show what little bit embarrassed at the things ive done looks like kiddie stuff to compared to the things you all done.. Im sure it took you all a very very long time... Any way go to the future not back to the future but to the future ... Wanting to learn this fast but it is taking time to get perfect

Linn Meyers
09-12-2015, 7:53 AM
Those were Oak Ply. 4x8 sheet $23=24 Boxes. Been using Revolution Ply underlayment from Lowe's lately. Nice consistent grain that stains really nice. 4x8 sheet is $13=24 boxes. It's a little thinner 4.5mm so adjust design accordingly. Also buy a caliper. Don't just trust what the material claims. Your joints will be tighter if you actually measure. Some tips: Stain first. (been using Cabot Stain/Sealer. Dries in about 10 min. Light sand after first coat and wipe with tack cloth and do second. Cut to size. Mask. Clamp piece to table as it's usually warped enough to affect cutting. Lase. Leave mask to color fill. Leave mask on when gluing up so the glue doesn't get on your finish. Use rubber bands to clamp.

Junior hall
09-12-2015, 2:41 PM
Linn Meyers Thank you so very much very beautiful they are (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/member.php?133126-Linn-Meyers)

Bert Kemp
09-12-2015, 3:06 PM
correct I did the mirror engraving.

Bert kemp i am assuming you done the engraving on the back of the mirror correct just looks so dern awesome ... I need not even show what little bit embarrassed at the things ive done looks like kiddie stuff to compared to the things you all done.. Im sure it took you all a very very long time... Any way go to the future not back to the future but to the future ... Wanting to learn this fast but it is taking time to get perfect

Mike Troncalli
09-12-2015, 7:37 PM
Bert,

Excellent work... Thanks for sharing...

Mike Null
09-13-2015, 8:22 AM
Bert

Nice work and design.

Bert Kemp
09-13-2015, 11:37 AM
Thanks Mike's :D

Linn Meyers
10-02-2015, 12:42 PM
Here ya go Junior. Not nearly as hard as it looks.

Matt McCoy
10-02-2015, 1:32 PM
Here ya go Junior. Not nearly as hard as it looks.

Great work Linn!

Linn Meyers
10-02-2015, 3:14 PM
Thank You. Prototype of the design. Got some others gluing up that I think are a little better. Just really wanted to help Junior and again, second Bert's advice.

Junior hall
10-02-2015, 7:02 PM
Thanks linn those are very very pretty.. I am sure they are not as hard as i think they are... I cant wait until i try these ... I am on the puzzle kick ,and im sure once i try the boxes ill be on a box kick..

Bill George
10-02-2015, 8:31 PM
Linn Meyers what are these made out of. Got material cost down to less than a dollar a piece... They are beautiful nice looking....

Just so dern much i want to do, but i am going to do one thing at a time and master it... The puzzles are fun.. I think i am THE MAN when im still a pee on All of these things i am wanting to learn to do just to see it in person the things that you all do i am wanting to do as they are so nice looking...

My problem is i got a camera phone i can take pictures but it will not upload to my dern computer and i am not goign to pay extra for internet on a phone when i have a computer for that... Also more things got to figure out on a dern phone..More of a headache .... No one around me has email... I live around a bunch of older folks... mid 60's retired... Also i am not up to date on cell phones as i am old fashion 43 years old give me a square rotary phone back in the 80's and i am happy. I do not need to watch tv listen to music on my phone play games a simple phone to call some one thats all i need any thing else nope not interested... Keep things simple im happy... As when i went to school to learn how to train dogs they drilled it into us KISS K.I.S.S. KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID Don't try and invent a wheel when its all ready invented... If it isnt broke dont try and fix it

Would you believe I am 72 Junior, but I use a smart phone, email and computers every day. Age as nothing to do with learning, you just have to be willing to do it. I have been working with and in some cases building computers since 1979. If I kept it simple I would not have the income that I have now in retirement and still learning every day. Do what Bert is telling you, buy an inexpensive under $100 or even less camera and learn how to use it.

Jacob John
10-03-2015, 2:01 AM
Gotta go with Bert on this. I was initially all over the map. Started getting into boxes. Spent a week or two getting them good, then a week getting faster, then a week getting more efficient. 321123321124321125

Those boxes are gorgeous! Great work! What type of wood are you using? Those look like much higher quality than what I've seen being sold out there.

Keith Outten
10-03-2015, 3:09 AM
I made several variations of these boxes many years ago.

The drawings were created by Epilog and the CDR files are in our archives.

Junior hall
10-03-2015, 8:02 AM
Keith Outten how do i find it and where are the archives. I am asking because it takes me a long time to find the last post after it says more reply's below

Keith Outten
10-03-2015, 11:02 AM
Junior,

Use the search feature here to search old threads and posts. You can also order all of the Engravers Forum pictures and file attachments on a DVD.

Here are a couple links that I found to get you started.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?7322-Corel-Longbox-Drawing&highlight=epilog+drawings

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?4879-Laser-Cut-Box-Drawing&highlight=epilog+drawings