PDA

View Full Version : Union mfg co planes

Tomi Rosso
09-08-2015, 8:59 AM
Hi,

I think there are some rock solid experts who know everything of Union manufacturing company’s planes. I have bought couple of block planes and I want to know in which period those are. Or is those Union planes at all.

http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=321002&d=1441716910&thumb=1&stc=1 http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=321003&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1441716910 (http://www.sawmillcreek.org/attachment.php?attachmentid=321003&d=1441716910)

Two at the left have Union Mfg Co Irons. That smallest does not. Propably Iron is not original, but body’s shape is identical to that in the middle.
First body shape and size is suitable with Union 1905 catalog’s block plane number 227, but cap iron is different. Google gives that shaped cap irons and mechanism, when searching Union 227. So I am pretty sure that this is Union. Body have not any marking of manufacturer or size number. This must be newer than that catalog. Perhaps post-Stanley? Any ideas?
Midmost plane suits with catalogs plane number 110. Body have no markings. This could be quite old one? Or something better ideas?
On of the right have identical structure and mechanism than middle. Body have marking 102. No manufacturer. Outher shape fits with catalogs 102. Or have some other manufacturer identical structure?
I have also one Circular Plane No 411. That have Union markings in body and Iron and that knob. I don’t have just now picture of it, but it can be arranged. That was my first plane. It was belong to my grandmother father. Union is quite rare plane in here Finland, so I try to find answer here.

Jim Koepke
09-08-2015, 10:32 AM
Tomi,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate Finland as your location. Old guys like me will likely forget that in a year or so.

The Union Mfg on the blade means the blade was made before 1917. That is when the plane division was separated and the stamp was changed to Union Plane Company. In 1920 Stanley bought the Union Plane Company.

That is about the extent of my knowledge concerning Union planes.

The #102 is likely a Stanley plane. Mine comes in handy. Patrick Leach gives them a bad write up at:

http://www.supertool.com/StanleyBG/stan12.htm#num102

Mine has no number on the main body. It has a #103 inside the lever cap.

jtk

don wilwol
09-09-2015, 5:45 AM
I've heard that Union changed the stamp to Union Plane Co but can never find any evidence. According to PTAMPIA Smith demises that was only done on plane bought from Siegley. I've been trying to put together a time line for Union bench planes, and I get lots of opinions but evendence to back them up is hard to find.

Tomi Rosso
09-11-2015, 2:46 AM
Thanks for reminding to update profile. I must take someday little time and fill my profile up.

Okei, that's new for me. I don't know that irons stamped Union Plane company are same as Union MFG Co. Or same but newer. I have noticed, that plane making companies named Union are several. But am I correct now, that Union manufacturing co and Union Plane Company are same thing? Union Tool Company and others are different story then?

I don't know what was the channel where finnish was bought Union planes. Was there same reseller or was american relatives brought those when visiting here. But that's I know for sure, there are quite little Union planes available nowadays.

Jim Koepke
09-11-2015, 10:41 AM
But am I correct now, that Union manufacturing co and Union Plane Company are same thing? Union Tool Company and others are different story then?

I am not sure of the full story. Here is a small piece:

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/FEATURE/union%20frog%20design/union_frog.htm

One of the planes that came down through family was a Union Mfg. plane with the first style frog shown.

I have some chisels marked Union Hardware. Not sure if there is a relation, but they are good chisels.

I think a lot of tools were carried by people around the world to end up in unexpected places.

jtk

Padraig Maloney
09-14-2015, 11:58 PM
The #102 is likely a Stanley plane. Mine comes in handy. Patrick Leach gives them a bad write up at:

Seems like that's all he does at times ....

Tomi Rosso
09-15-2015, 5:58 AM
Here is couple more pictures of those planes, if some one are interested.

Here that 102. That what are proposed to be Stanley.
321494 321495 321496

Union no 110?

321497 321498 321499

Tomi Rosso
09-15-2015, 6:00 AM
And Union 227?

321502 321503 321504

Joe Tilson
09-15-2015, 8:57 AM
The Union chisel I have says Torrington, Conn and the plane I have says New Britian, Conn. if that makes a difference.

Rob Luter
09-15-2015, 2:42 PM
I am not sure of the full story. Here is a small piece:

http://www.brasscityrecords.com/toolworks/FEATURE/union%20frog%20design/union_frog.htm

One of the planes that came down through family was a Union Mfg. plane with the first style frog shown.

I have some chisels marked Union Hardware. Not sure if there is a relation, but they are good chisels.

I think a lot of tools were carried by people around the world to end up in unexpected places.

jtk

Not to change the subject, but I hadn't been on the Brass City site for a while. I knew Walt was ill but had no idea he'd passed. He was a good egg.

Jim Koepke
09-15-2015, 2:46 PM
Not to change the subject, but I hadn't been on the Brass City site for a while. I knew Walt was ill but had no idea he'd passed. He was a good egg.

I had no idea either. May he rest in peace.

I think my only purchase from Brass City was actually an old vinyl recording before I got into woodworking.

jtk

Tomi Rosso
04-01-2016, 3:27 AM
Now I have a "new" Union. This time I found No 4. I have been looking an year from finnish online trading places and not many Unions found. Couple of transitions moving here also, but I only buy when I need one. I don't try to only collect those.

If I remember right, there were some internet source, where was three Union frogs from different eras. I can't find it anymore. I am little bit curious that is this plane from pre or post Stanley.

Yes, iron is Union MFG Co, so that's probably means it's pre-Stanley era. But in other hands I have read from some forums, I don't remember where, that at first era planes says nothing on levercap and Union and number in plane body. Second says Union on levercap, like this, but nothing at body. Third era says Union at cap and number at body. So now mine says No 4 at front. But people are assumed that third era is post-Stanley. And I have read also that for sure before 1917 Union MFG Co irons are used, from that to 1920 Union Plane Co and then Stanleys.

Lot of assumptions. Maybe mine have replacement iron. Maybe they use old iron stock at end before changed to use Stanley irons after take-out. Or mayby something else. That's why it could be interesting to fond that frog-picture again. That clarifies maybe a little.

BR,
TR

don wilwol
04-04-2016, 6:27 AM
http://timetestedtools.forumchitchat.com/post/information-on-typing-union-bench-planes-7539560?pid=1291805904