PDA

View Full Version : The bride is starting to express an interest in making things

Roger Feeley
09-07-2015, 11:39 PM
She is getting ready to retire for real. She was an educator for 30 years and her first retirement lasted about a month. She has been working for the state department of ed for the last 5 or 6 years. Recently, she has shown a lot of interest in making and selling stuff.

She learned to make artisan soap.
When we went to England recently, I spent two days with Terry Tynan learning spinning and she participated also.

this is getting interesting. She has always enjoyed the stuff that came out of the shop but wasn't all that interested in making any of it. Things seem to be changing.

Frederick Skelly
09-08-2015, 6:58 AM
That's happy news! Another way to spend time together (always a good thing) and maybe a few upgraded (not necessarily brand new) tools for the shop. Enjoy it Roger!
Fred

John A langley
09-08-2015, 7:48 AM
That's good news Roger my wife is not much interested in shop afraid I'll put a sander in her hand but she does like to quilt

Gail Ludwig
09-08-2015, 9:24 AM
Roger,
You are in trouble!! I too retired from about 30 years in education and basically have TAKEN OVER my husbands shop and tools. He wasn't an avid woodworker, but had the woodworking essentials. Now I get yelled at for tracking saw dust into the kitchen and disturbing his afternoon naps when I turn on the planer. I started by building a couple of Norm's Adirondack's chairs and a few bookcases. Suddenly I needed a mitre saw, planer, new router and router table, band saw and scroll saw. Searching Craigslist has become a past time for me. A master woodturner lives almost next door and I am trying to avoid going off that deep end because I know I would NEED a new lathe, tools and whatever else I could imagine. My hubby just rolls his eyes and isn't saying anything at this point. I am an avid lurker on this website and although I haven't posted much, I do appreciate all the great advice and suggestions I have gleaned from everyone over the past year or so. So stand back guy --- you may have unleashed a real tiger!!! Good luck and tell your wife congratulations from another retired educator!!!

Dan Hintz
09-08-2015, 12:55 PM
My advice?

Buy her whatever tools/supplies she wants. You will thank yourself later many times over. I have found that my wife's hobbies (unfortunately not woodworking related) inspire me to do try new ideas with my own work. You can't put a price tag on a live-in muse... :)

eugene thomas
09-08-2015, 2:36 PM
My wife refuses to touch unfinished wood but got a cnc in last year and she is liking aspire....