PDA

View Full Version : Wood handle from cut branches.

Jarad Medbery
09-07-2015, 10:13 PM
So I saw some workers cutting down some branches from a birch tree. I stripped off the bark and some of the branches were pretty straight and looked like they might make a good axe handle or other type of tool handle. Is this not suggested to do? Would the wood not be suitable for this type of thing? What should I do in preparation for using the wood if it is okay to do this, and how long should I wait until I do use the wood?

Thanks,
Jarad

Valk Wilkinson
09-07-2015, 10:56 PM
I've seen birch used for knife handles but I'm not sure how it would hold up as an actual handle on an axe or something. Could try sealing the end grain and air drying it tho the sealing will be less important as birch is a closed grain wood. Be sure to use plenty of weight cause it really tends to twist and warp as it dries. As you cut your lumber be sure to remove the pith or center 2 inches or so as this always seems to crack. So if you want long pieces try to cut it something like you see in the picture by my name so the pith is out of the useable area of the wood.

Jarad Medbery
09-07-2015, 11:50 PM
thanks for the info, that answers the question. I was wondering if you could even just use the whole branch as a handle, but as you said the center cracks that won't work so well.

Prashun Patel
09-08-2015, 5:55 AM
branch wood is typically weaker than trunk wood. If your branch has no knot points where smaller branches joined to it, I might consider it. However, you're much better off using straight grain from the trunk.

Also, when drying, wood with pith in it is prone to cracking. If the handle checks or splits, I'd be leery of using it in this application.

John Keeton
09-08-2015, 6:21 AM
Straight grain hickory is the universal choice for axe handles, or large tool handles of any kind - e.g., sledge, grub hoe. For small hand tools, other hardwoods would work, but not with the pith included as has been mentioned. I would want the wood completely dry and depending on how you approach that, it could take several months.