PDA

View Full Version : Finally Got The Delta Splitter Installed!

Corey Hallagan
08-24-2005, 4:05 PM
Took about an hour this morning to install and get it ready to go. Tested it out and it is like night and day. For the pic police here is a link, I also included the info for anyone who is interested in purchasing one including where to get the instructions as the part comes with none.

http://woodshop51503.tripod.com/id12.html

Thanks,
Corey

Andrew Ault
08-24-2005, 4:23 PM
Corey, good to see you are feeling well enough for your woodshop.

Once you get it installed, what is it like to remove and replace?

Is the part that engages the retaining mechanism made from steel plate?

I wonder because for my old saw, the Bosch 4000, I made a riving knife to replace the standard blade guard because I do not like all of that stuff around the blade.

I recently bought a used Unisaw and sold the Bosch. I would like to make a plain splitter minus the cauls, which get in the way for certain cuts. I use splitters glued to zero clearance guards, but this would be useful when the blade is tilted.

With the Bosch I traced the standard blade guard retaining mechanism onto steel plate and cut it out with a band saw, making a plain, curved riving knife that raised and lowered with the blade. With the Unisaw I can't make a riving knife because the mount does not raise and lower with the blade, but I'd still like to make close following splitters for a couple of blade positions.

-Andy

lloyd morris
08-24-2005, 4:33 PM
Corey,

I am very glad your feeling better as well. Thanks for the information and link to the instructions. What are the differences you noticed with this splitter and are you planning on the blade guard in the pictures?

Thanks in advance,

Lloyd Morris

Corey Hallagan
08-24-2005, 4:37 PM
Hi Andrew thanks. Yes, it is fairly easy to remove as you just need to remove the throat plate, turn the knurled knob and lossen it and grabe the splitter good and king of rock itin place. Yes there is a steel plate that loosens and frees as the knurled knob is loosened. The splitter itself has a two little tabs on the bottom that kind of wrap under the mounting plate and when the knob is tightened the small retaining plate pushes up against it and locks it all together. So when you loosen it you have loosen it enough that that you can rock it a bit and unhook those two little tabs from under the mounting plate. Kind of hard to explain that part.

Corey

Corey Hallagan
08-24-2005, 4:41 PM
LLoyd, I could not get the stock splitter to line up properly at all and most I talked to stated it was a real bear. I put 3-4 hours on the old one trying to get it adjusted. When ripping with it, it would always hang up when it hit the splitter. Doesn't happen no more, seems to work great. As far as the blade guard, I am going to go guardless for awhile. I have never gone guardless before on any of my saws I have had. I am not totally comfortable with that at all. I am contemplating buying an aftermarket one or making my own.

Thanks,
Corey

Andrew Ault
08-24-2005, 4:43 PM
Thanks, I think I understand. It sounds pretty good.

-Andy

John M. Cioffi
08-25-2005, 7:17 AM
Cory,

Glad to see you have yours working great.
I cannot understand for the life of me, why mine is still off by almost 1/16" and there is no adjustment to make! I'm totally baffled!
Anyway, I've put it aside for now.
It would be a great asset,otherwize.
John