PDA

View Full Version : Burl stabilize?

David Ragan
09-07-2015, 6:43 PM
Hi,

Please observe the following, slightly out of focus pic:

It is lyptus burl. Who would be best to ship to and what to ask for to get it stabilized, so wife can make pretty hand held mirrors, etc?

I am not at all sure about what it should be stabilized in, etc. We want to be able to machine it, of course, and then be able to topcoat with gloss poly(?)

The slab @ top is outside of original slab, w/ wax still on it. Beautiful color.

Thanks as always.

Barry McFadden
09-07-2015, 9:11 PM
Have you thought of doing it yourself... http://www.leevalley.com/en/Wood/page.aspx?p=20079&cat=1,330,49236&ap=1 probably cheaper than shipping it out..

Bruce Page
09-07-2015, 10:46 PM
David, I soaked some roughed out punky burl knobs in Minwax Wood Hardener before final turning. I put the roughed knobs in a mason jar, pored in the hardener, put the lid on and let them soak up the hardener for about a week. It took another week for them to dry out but they were rock solid when dry. Depending on how big your finish pieces are it might not be practical for you but it did work well.

Valk Wilkinson
09-07-2015, 11:33 PM
I'm in Jersey (no laughing plz) and have a vacuum chamber those would fit in but ya would have to buy a gallon of TMI stabilizer from Woodcraft or Cactus Juice from whoever. Both are around 100 smackaroonees so not sure if it even would be worth it.