PDA

View Full Version : Stick with Dewalt or switch out to Ryobi

Bob Magnuson
09-07-2015, 6:27 PM
I currently have a set of Dewalt 18V (nicad) tools; drill, impact driver, circular saw and right angle drill. I've got 3 batteries, however only one holds a charge anymore and I find myself draining the good battery and having to wait until it's charged. The drill is 20+ years old but it and the other tools work great!

Right now HD has the Ryobi 18V Lithium One + set (drill, impact driver, saw) on sale for $159 and it includes two batteries.

So my question is...

Do I bite the bullet and buy two new Dewalt nicad batteries (roughly $100) or spend a little more and switch over to lithium batteries and new tools??

Thoughts??

Lee Schierer
09-07-2015, 6:33 PM
So my question is...

Do I bite the bullet and buy two new Dewalt nicad batteries (roughly $100) or spend a little more and switch over to lithium batteries and new tools??

Thoughts??

Or you could get both batteries rebuilt by MTO battery and keep all your tools running. I had my two Dewalt batteries rebuilt and they work better than new for less than the cost of one new one.

George Bokros
09-07-2015, 6:50 PM
Ryobi is a huge step down from DeWalt. I would not do it.

glenn bradley
09-07-2015, 6:54 PM
Before I moved to lithium batteries I had my batt's rebuilt by MTO. Still using a couple of them over at LOML's house.

eugene thomas
09-07-2015, 6:56 PM
I did switch.... and wish would of just bought new batteries for my dewalt..

Dan Hahr
09-07-2015, 7:46 PM
You can get a decent combo drill plus impact for about $200 when the deals run. I've used ryobi and would never pay good money for Ryobi.

Dan

Jack Jackson
09-07-2015, 7:51 PM
Just get the 20v Dewalt set for about $200... or have batteries rebuilt. DON'T do Ryobi.

Bob Magnuson
09-07-2015, 7:59 PM
Thanks for all the input! I'm looking into having the batteries rebuilt.

Jim Dwight
09-07-2015, 8:04 PM
I like my Ryobis. I had a DeWalt cordless drill once and it was fine. But it was NiCad and the batteries didn't last. I tried a Ryobi drill, then bought a combo, then a reciprocating saw and jigsaw and most recently a brad nailer All use the same lithium ion batteries. Only Ryobi made their lithium ions work in the tools that came out with Ni Cads. I broke one Ryobi drill putting in locksets. I was drilling the large hole for the lock. I bought a couple more. The rest of the tools are still working fine. The lithium ions made the circular saw much more useful. I don't think any other manufacturer offers more tools that use the same batteries. I have DeWalt and other more "respectable brand" tools but I find the better Ryobi tools in the same class. The thing that drags them down is they also make some junk. The 18V cordless line is definitely not junk.

mreza Salav
09-07-2015, 9:37 PM
If you were to buy consider buying Rigid in which case you can get life-time service agreement, that includes replacing the batteries.

Bruce Page
09-07-2015, 10:16 PM
Another vote for MTO rebuilt batteries.

Rich Engelhardt
09-08-2015, 3:12 AM
Another alternative....

http://www.google.com/shopping/product/12850820762976953818?hl=en

Just change over to Li-Ion batteries. You'll need to lock up your old charger or toss it because it won't work with the Li-Ion.

Doug McKay
09-08-2015, 7:41 AM
Ryobi = Ripped-off Your Best Invention

Andrew Pitonyak
09-08-2015, 9:40 AM
Another vote for MTO rebuilt batteries.

MTO?? What is MTO

Prashun Patel
09-08-2015, 9:48 AM
I'd get a Ridgid set over the Ryobi. I've owned a few Ridgids and like them.

Reinis Kanders
09-08-2015, 10:09 AM
I use newer 18v lithium batteries with my old dewalt stuff. Cheapest way to buy those batteries was to get a bundled drill, charger+battery set on sale. I am not sure if dewalt still sells those old style battery sets in lithium flavor, they renamed them 20v and changed the plastic , but actual batteries are the same.

glenn bradley
09-08-2015, 10:13 AM
MTO?? What is MTO

That was kinda vague . . . "MTO Battery" (http://www.mtobattery.com/product-category/power-tool-battery-rebuild-services/)

Mike Henderson
09-08-2015, 10:13 AM
I'm not a fan of Ryobi but the lithium batteries make the tool a lot lighter. I'd take the opportunity to find a solution that gives you lithium batteries.

Mike

Andrew Pitonyak
09-08-2015, 12:50 PM
That was kinda vague . . . "MTO Battery" (http://www.mtobattery.com/product-category/power-tool-battery-rebuild-services/)

Thanks.... I did not find that while searching google...

cody michael
09-08-2015, 3:07 PM
ridgid has lifetime warranty if you register them, I have recently switched to all ridgid for that fact

Chris Cohick
09-08-2015, 3:38 PM
I currently have a bunch of Ryobi lithium tools. They are OK, but I am trying to wear the tools out so I can switch to Milwaukee. I agree with the other folks, get some new DeWalt batteries or have your old ones rebuilt.

Art Mann
09-08-2015, 4:45 PM
I have had a Ryobi 18VDC drill driver, impact driver, recip saw and circular saw set for about 10 years. The circular saw is too weak but all the other tools have worked well. Just recently, I bought a Ryobi battery powered chain saw because that set, including a lithium ion battery, was about the same price as the battery alone. It works well for cutting fire wood on camp outs. The most used tool is the impact driver. I have built several decks with it driving 3 inch deck screws all day long. I have another 18VDC drill/impact driver combination from Hitachi that is smaller, lighter and easier to use but I doubt very much it will last any longer than the Ryobi stuff.

Jim Dwight
09-08-2015, 5:29 PM
I agree with Art on the circular saw with NiCd batteries but not with lithium ions. It will do useful work. I used mine nearly exclusively on an addition. It is a lot smaller and lighter than my old Milwaukee and had enough power for 2x4s and sheet goods. I was using the smaller batteries too - but I have three so I could swap them as required.