PDA

View Full Version : Lathe Decision

Ned Bulken
08-24-2005, 3:25 PM
I've been pondering joining the ranks of turners for a couple of months now. Among the options were a midi/mini lathe of some sort, or buying a used lathe (I recently was offered a working used craftsman) , or rehabbing (buying a motor and reassembling) our 70's vintage single tube craftsman lathe. Well, it may not be the easiest or the 'best' solution, butafter long thoughts and pondering on all fronts I've decided to go with the latter option.
If turning becomes a passion, then I'll spring for an upgrade as funds allow. So, now it is time for my shop partner John and myself to pick the motor, get it ordered and dust off the lathe parts we have, plus order some basic turning tools.

Jim Becker
08-25-2005, 10:17 AM
'Sounds like an enjoyable project, Ned. And if anything, older lathes can always continue to fill the need for spindle work if you decide to get a "true bowl lathe" like the Vega or VB in the future.

Ned Bulken
08-26-2005, 1:24 PM
Just got word, turns out that we already have the Motor on hand, and the pulleys! John picked up a used compressor, and it has a 1/2 horse motor which turns a the right rpm for the lathe! The compressor lacks a regulator, and takes forever to fill, but for $25, the price was right. Now we just need to free up some space, get it all assembled, and get some turning tools and face shields.
I'm guessing in about two or three weeks we might get that all done.