PDA

View Full Version : Project Completed: Flag Case

Brian Lindenlaub
08-24-2005, 3:06 PM
I've tinkered in the wood shop almost all my life, but I have been making "nice stuff" for only a couple of years. I recently finished a case to display the flag that draped my father-in-law's casket. It is based on a design posted a while back by Charlie Plesums, except I added a 1-1/4" wide face frame with routed edge. I also used 45 deg butt joints at the bottom corners instead of attempting 22-1/2 deg miters. The glass was cut at a local glass shop, and I had the name plaque engraved at a trophy shop.<O:p</O:p

Thanks to Charlie for the design, and to Mark Patoka for the idea about folding the flag around a piece of cardboard. That made it much easier to make the stars come out looking right.<O:p</O:p

I have never posted a picture before, but I'll try, if I can figure out how . . .

Brian

Jeff Sudmeier
08-24-2005, 3:35 PM
Brian,

The case looks great! The flag takes the attention, not the case, which is the way it should be!

The picture is large and pixelated though :)

Brian Lindenlaub
08-25-2005, 10:17 AM
I couldn't figure out how to edit my original post, but here's another picture.

Brian

John Renzetti
08-25-2005, 1:01 PM
Hi Brian, Very nice job on the flag case. Making the fold so the stars come out like that is not easy.
take care,
John

Corey Hallagan
08-25-2005, 1:54 PM
IT looks great! very nice. :) Nice work!

Corey

Jason Tuinstra
08-25-2005, 2:04 PM
Brian, looks good! And the stars look perfect! Good job!

Vaughn McMillan
08-25-2005, 2:48 PM
Great job on the case and the flag folding Brian. I think the 45* butt joints look as good or better than if you'd mitered them like the top.

- Vaughn

Randy Meijer
08-25-2005, 3:02 PM
Nice job on the case and my highest compliments on the folding job. Don't know that I've ever seen a flag folded that well!!

Pete Harbin
08-26-2005, 9:01 AM
Beautiful job Brian! It all looks very clean and sharp...commands some attention, as it should.

Pete

Ken Fitzgerald
08-26-2005, 9:39 AM
Excellent job Brian! As stated before....the case looks good but allows the flag to grasp your attention!