PDA

View Full Version : CC Sled Dust Collection

Tom Hamilton
08-24-2005, 2:47 PM
The cross-cut sled works just like all the articles say, except, it throws dust everywhere.

So, a little noodling later and a prototype emerges for a cc sled with some manner of dust control: :D

The clear material is lexan hinged on both sides, supported by a couple of 3/8 dowels that happened to be in the scrap. The sides are a little longer than the distance between the top and the sled to accomodate various thicknesses of stock.

The shop vac hose goes in the hole on the top and at least some of the dust is corraled.

Raise the sides, slide the stock to be cut onto the sled and make the cut.

So, what have I missed. Is there any danger in this idea? Any suggestions for improvement?

Thanks for looking, TJH

Jim Dunn
08-24-2005, 4:01 PM
Very nice sled indeed. But, is that a hole in the top for the hose? Does it work like an over-arm? Also what are the runners made of?

MORE INFO please

Ken Fitzgerald
08-24-2005, 4:23 PM
It seems to me I saw a similar device by someone else here at SMC a while back. Let us know how it works!

bill walton
08-24-2005, 4:26 PM
I like the concept. I'm building a new sled next week while I'm on vacation and think I'll adapt my design to use my CT22 from Festool.

Scott Parks
08-24-2005, 9:15 PM
Hmmm... I was planning on making a similar sled, but haven't yet. Nor do I have DC yet.. Let us know how it works, or any improvements that you should have made...

Tom Hamilton
08-24-2005, 10:18 PM
Yes, the hole in the top is for the shop vac, I disconnect the ceiling mount blade guard and dust collector, and put the hose into the sled.

Cut 3/4 ply this afternoon and caught 98% of the chips, dust and junk.

Runner are currently made of SYP, but am going to upgrade to aluminum T track for stability and longevity.

Allen Bookout
08-24-2005, 10:39 PM
I am going to make a sled soon but did not think about the dust control problem. Thanks for the information.

I had planned on using plywood for the base but it looks like that you used MDF. Is this the case? If so how did it work out. Is it extra heavy or OK? Did you coat it to keep out moisture? I have some left over and might as well use it for the sled if you found it acceptable.

Tom Hamilton
08-25-2005, 1:49 PM
Yes, it is MDF and yes it is heavy. But that is a good thing for stability once it is on the saw.

I used for for a couple of years without coating and one day had some varnish left in the can and the sled was out, so it got coated also.

I like the safety of the sled for cutting shelf width and wider stock and the repeatability of same length cuts. A clamp on the back edge makes a moveable stop.

All in all, I would recommend a cc sled as a valuable shop accessory.

TJH