PDA

View Full Version : Mods - tell me you're kidding

Victor Robinson
09-06-2015, 3:42 PM
You're making this too easy for many of us.

Chuck Wintle
09-06-2015, 3:49 PM
You're making this too easy for many of us.

what was that?

Tom Stenzel
09-06-2015, 4:08 PM
what was that?

It has to be about the Just Venting posts that just went into the digital dustbin. Haven't been reading it so don't know what direction or how that one went off the rails.

Being a 'merican isn't complaining about contractors normally considered a minimal expectation? ;)

-Tom

Scott Shepherd
09-06-2015, 4:35 PM
Relax. The post was moved to be cleaned up because it had turned to insults. Once it's cleaned up it'll be returned so relax.

Victor Robinson
09-06-2015, 4:44 PM
Thanks Scott.

Tony Zona
09-06-2015, 5:14 PM
A question:
Does this forum change the words a poster writes, or is the poster told of the error of his ways and permitted to change his own post?

glenn bradley
09-06-2015, 5:22 PM
A question:
Does this forum change the words a poster writes, or is the poster told of the error of his ways and permitted to change his own post?

A good question. On another forum I mod on now and again a PM is sent to the offender and they are requested to re-word their post to make it fit the code of conduct they agreed to when they joined. From the outside this seems to be pretty much what happens here at SMC.

On the aforementioned forum when someone does something blatantly inflammatory, purposely pushes the limits of a written rule or does something purposefully lame, we remove the post/thread and begin a conversation with the troubled individual to determine if he/she was just having a bad day or has wandered onto our forum because he/she has been kicked off of every other one along the way and truly misunderstands the purpose of a wood working forum :D:D:D. If the online world is their only outlet for their frustrations we recommend Facebook.

Scott Shepherd
09-06-2015, 7:06 PM
A question:

Generally, it's modified by a moderator. If it needed to be changed, then we change it, otherwise it would stay up until the person who wrote it decided to change it, and in some cases, if they disagree, then they wouldn't change it, even if it violates the terms of service that agreed to when they joined. In most cases, people are notified, but it's not required. Some times moderators only have a minute or two before their regular life calls and things are quickly changed and people not notified. In this case, it was a mess of a thread, where it had about 10 posts that needed to be cleaned up, so it was going to take a little time. I was working on a table at the time and it takes a little more to edit that much on a tablet, so I moved it to the moderator section until I could spend a little more time with it and before anyone else could jump into the insults.

It's back now, so I'll lock this thread and let it go bye bye down the list.