PDA

View Full Version : Stop systems?

Martin Wasner
09-06-2015, 12:30 PM
I had a local fabricator build me a fence from steel and have been using a Biesemeyer stop on it for ten years. I need to set up two more benches at work and can't find the Biesemeyer stop any longer.

Any other good options out there? Maya has some really interesting and nice looking setups, but they're insanely expensive. To the point I don't think a Tigerstop Sawgear stop is that much more money.

jack duren
09-06-2015, 2:26 PM
320907There are other option based on the same design. This is similiar,cheap but needs some modifation for accuracy.
http://www.amazon.com/Woodstock-W1109-Broset-Precision-Block/dp/B0000224QW

peter gagliardi
09-06-2015, 2:31 PM
Learn something new every day! I didn't know Maya existed till now. Looks like very nice stuff. I saw a post by Dave Kumm on here with a digital stop system by Proscale on his Whitney slider. I just purchased a Morso NXFL beaded face frame notcher that I wanted an accurate and repeatable stop system for, and ordered up a left and right setup for that from them. I believe it's called Prostop. Might be an option.

Lee Schierer
09-06-2015, 2:52 PM
Neat looking device, how does it fit on a fence??

jack duren
09-06-2015, 3:00 PM
Its not how it works, but how much will it set me back financially. Nice systems and I've had them on equipment in the past but not for the Diyer. Its an overkill unless its making money

J.R. Rutter
09-06-2015, 3:03 PM
I used one of these for years before the TigerStop could be justified:

http://www.scotchman.com/measuring-systems/advanced-measuring-system/quick-loc/

I liked that it locked into 1/16" increments. I got an accessory that fit onto the stop to give 1/64" detents.

Bill Adamsen
09-07-2015, 12:37 PM
I have the Glidestop (jadawley.com) on my Morso/Hoffmann and it has repeatable manual indexing, at a relatively low cost. It could be adapted for a miter station, but I'm not sure how it would be used for a regular fence (ripping) replacement. This was my intro to Maya as well. I'd been looking for those swing stops ... thanks!

Martin Wasner
09-07-2015, 10:53 PM
I have the Glidestop (jadawley.com) on my Morso/Hoffmann and it has repeatable manual indexing, at a relatively low cost. It could be adapted for a miter station, but I'm not sure how it would be used for a regular fence (ripping) replacement. This was my intro to Maya as well. I'd been looking for those swing stops ... thanks!

I like that setup. I'm not sure I've got a use for the stops in the back, but the few repeatable stops I'd need would be close in and not tick me off too bad when doing other things. I also like how I could mount something to the face so I'm not a for away from the blade when at the end of the track. I've got the same OMGA they show in their video. Not the cheapest setup, but I dig how it works. I'm curious what I'd have to have for the deck or table. What I've got now is a clone of the Biesemeyer and that's pretty slick. Maybe mount it to a big thick slab of uhmw plastic or Richlite.

Still also way cheaper than the Sawgear from Tigerstop. Which I've got a 12' Tigerstop on an 18" Whirlwind, and while slick there, I think it'd be overkill on a bench for facing.

Roger Feeley
09-07-2015, 11:33 PM
I bought a Morton Quill stop which is basically a 1/2"-20 nut with a quick release. then I bought a piece of 1/2"-20 ready rod and built my own flip stop. The nice thing about the morton is that I can set it a little long and then sneak up on the desired part length a few thousandths at a time. Each rotation of the Morton is .050". I usually just give it a quarter turn to take off a whisker. There is some limitation in the available length of the ready rod. So I set the ready rod about 2' away from my cutoff saw blade. I use a piece of wood with magnets as a spacer for small parts. You could easily have pieces 2', 4' and 6' long if you want the accuracy of the Morton farther out. I did this about 10 years ago and it's been working just fine.