PDA

View Full Version : Time for a New Hand Sander and Vac-Please Advise

Ron Corselli
09-06-2015, 12:28 PM
Primary objective is dust control, efficiency and versatility. So I'm considering the Mirka Deros or comparable Festool sander. And for shop vac/sander dust extraction with sander, either the Festool CT36 or Makita VC4710. What is your opinion?

mreza Salav
09-06-2015, 3:59 PM
I have the Festool ETS150 and it has worked fine in the past few years under heavy use for me. Although there was one incident that the pad simply separated and flew when I was sanding; they replaced it under warranty. I've also tried ETS125 and didn't like it. Mirka gets good reviews and if I was on the market I'd consider it seriously.
Can't help you with the Vac though. I have used Festool but for my sanding I use one of my rigid vacs.

Ellen Benkin
09-06-2015, 4:25 PM
Buy a Festool sander and vac and you'll never buy another one. Expensive? Yes. Worth it? Yes. Good sanding results and good for your lungs, too.

Allan Speers
09-06-2015, 4:42 PM
I've never used the Mirka, though obviously it gets great reviews.

I have a CT36 with the Festool RO90. That's a smaller sander than you are considering, I assume, but absolutely amazing. Great ergonomics, no numbness in my fingers after long use, incredible dust collection ... It's the single most used tool I own, and the vac is almost perfect. (Not great for wet pickup, but that's a niggle.)

The only thing I don't like is the Festool hose design. It should have a smooth interior, for less noise and less debris catching, but that's also a bit of a niggle.

Martin Wasner
09-06-2015, 5:02 PM
Have you thought about a down draft table instead of the vacuum?

Ron Corselli
09-06-2015, 5:18 PM
One of the reasons for considering the Makita was to have one vac I could use for wet also. The Festool ETS 150 was the one I was considering. But I would stick with a vac rather than downdraft because of location and room.

Martin Wasner
09-06-2015, 5:22 PM
Makes sense, I just hate dealing with the hoses while sanding.

John Huds0n
09-06-2015, 5:33 PM
Don't overlook the Bosch Vacuums

I have a Festool CT36 which I purchased with my dts 400 sander. Since then I bought the Mirka Ceros (great sander) and a Bosch Vac which I primarily use with my Bosch Glide saw

The Bosch Vac will handle wet and dry. The bags are fairly inexpensive and if you really need HEPA - you can purchase the optional HEPA filter. (The filter is VERY easy to get to if you need to clean or replace it)

It has an automatic turn off that is delayed for several seconds - which is usually enough time to clear the hose. (Whenever I disconnect my Festool hose at the machine - there is always a bunch of sawdust and debris that falls out) It has a semi-auto filter clean (you have to trigger it) and you can clip the Bosch L Boxes to the top, ala Festool

Purchased it from Amazon and as I recall - the box indicated a 30 day money back guarantee

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00HUCUK6K?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00

Allan Speers
09-06-2015, 7:25 PM
One of the reasons for considering the Makita was to have one vac I could use for wet also. The Festool ETS 150 was the one I was considering. But I would stick with a vac rather than downdraft because of location and room.

The Festool sucks water just fine (can I write "sucks" ? :eek: ) but what I don't like is that the shut-off sensor inside tha cannister can too easily get tripped, simply by moving the vacuum thus splashing the sensor. It then takes several minutes to dry enough that you can turn the vac back on. It's a badly designed sensor, on an otherwise stellar vac.

To be fair, it's sold as a dust collector, the wet capabilities are simply a bonus.

Also be aware than the Festool vac cannot be reversed. That is, you can't use it as a blower.

Jim Dwight
09-06-2015, 8:17 PM
I have a couple DeWalt random orbit sanders which work fine. I wore out a Milwaukee before getting the DeWalt. When it wears out, I'll pick another, we'll see what brand. I don't think there are bad ROSs but there are nicer and not as nice ones based upon ease of use. I don't see Festool prices for a sander.

My shop vacuum is a Rigid coupled to a Oneida dust deputy on a cart based upon plans from WoodSmith. I connected the cyclone to the shop vacuum using 2 inch PVC using a heat gun to form it when necessary. The Rigid has an aftermarket HEPA filter. It used to plug and need cleaned but I haven't cleaned once since getting the DD. No bags, I just dump the drywall bucket under the cyclone when it gets full. Works great on my track saw (DeWalt), sanders, and pretty well with my table saw (Ryobi BT3100) and helps with the CMS and RAS. I use a Bosch 5M hose for the smaller tools and a 2.5 inch Rigid hose for the larger tools.

John Sincerbeaux
09-06-2015, 10:11 PM
Mirka Ceros... Period!
i love festool but the Ceros is far and away a better sander. Think air sander but electric.

Alan Hick
09-06-2015, 10:16 PM
Primary objective is dust control, efficiency and versatility. So I'm considering the Mirka Deros or comparable Festool sander. And for shop vac/sander dust extraction with sander, either the Festool CT36 or Makita VC4710. What is your opinion?

I have a number of sanders, including a Mirka Ceros, Festool ETS 150, Festool Rotex, and some others. I use different sanders for different things. But, for many things my favorite, go-to sander is the ETS 150/5. The Mirka is nice. For me the separate power supply wasn’t an issue as I just set the power supply box in the “well” at the top of the CTS 36 Vacuum. The new Deros, which doesn’t have the extra power supply, will be seen as much more convenient by many, I’m sure. I can’t say that one sander is better than the other, but I really like the feel of the ETS 150.
If there’s somewhere you can try them out, I’d recommend doing so, simply because their form factors are so different. So, although they are all great sanders, it seems just a matter of personal preference, rather than quality or capability.

As far as vacuums go, I haven’t used the Makita or the Fein vacuums. But I have 2 CTS 36’s and they are fantastic. I’m amazed at how good their filters are. Neither of mine is particularly new, and it always surprises me that when I change the bag there is NO stray dust anywhere inside the bag compartment. The antistatic hoses work perfectly. They certainly aren’t inexpensive, but I have never regretted buying them.

Frank Martin
09-07-2015, 12:32 AM
I have had the Festool vac and sander for the last 12 years and would probably do the same again today. Ceros / Deros gets good reviews but it appears they may have some quality issues to work through. Otherwise a superior sander to ETS.

Larry Frank
09-07-2015, 8:00 AM
I have the Festool CT26 and a Festool sander and am amazed at how well it collects the dust. Really expensive but very little fine dust in the air.

No matter what vacuum you choose get a vacuum HEPA rated to protect your health.

Kent Adams
09-07-2015, 8:21 AM
I have a Festool ro90 and a Bosch ROS65VC-6. Both are connected to a Festool CT26. I love that Bosch. You can use 2 different size pads with it, a 5 or 6 inch. Paper is also much cheaper for the Bosch. When I run it with the CT26, virtually no dust is left behind. The Bosch hose fits the CT26 perfectly. The Bosch comes with both pads and a very nice systainer. I can't imagine the Festool ETS 150 has better dust extraction, because I don't really see any dust after using the Bosch. I've wanted to try the ETS 150, and I may one day just to compare, but it seems to me that i'd likely return it not seeing any major advantage of it. I highly recommend one of the Festool CT's. They are fantastic and there are a number of accessories you can get, including the overpriced boom arm which I have. But beware, you need some high ceilings to use that arm but it is great when you can. One last thing. I do think the Festool paper is superior. I can reuse the same paper on my RO90 many times before having to replace it. Its expensive though.

Allan Speers
09-07-2015, 4:56 PM
Another consideration is the stroke of the sander.

I've always wanted a 6" ROS, so I was just comparing the Bosch to the Festool 150 ETS. I was surprised to see that Festool makes two versions, the 150/3 and the 150/5, with two different stroke lengths. I have no idea which I'd want, but I'm sure it matters.

- And I don't see the stroke listed for that Bosch. (Although the Bosch's front handle seems like a VERY good idea, and I wish the Festool had that.)

Does anyone have an opinion as to which stroke is best for which tasks, and how the Mirka & Bosch stack up in this regard?

Mike Chalmers
09-07-2015, 5:11 PM
Another vote for the Bosch ROS65VC-6. I think it is a great sander, and is easy on the body. I have a $49 shop vac/Dust Deputy set up hooked to it. 5 gallon pail fills with dust, hardly any in the Shop Vac. Very little dust on the surface being sanded or where it is resting. No dust visible in the sunlight. Total cost way below these fancy Festool and Ceros.

Jamie Buxton
09-07-2015, 8:34 PM
...Also be aware than the Festool vac cannot be reversed. That is, you can't use it as a blower...

I have a Festool CT22E. It can be used as a blower. There is an exhaust port near the floor on the left side.

Allan Speers
09-07-2015, 10:15 PM
I have a Festool CT22E. It can be used as a blower. There is an exhaust port near the floor on the left side.

Not on the CT36 and its variants. The air comes out all around the chassis & no bottom port. I doubt the OP would want to buy the older design, used, just for this feature. However, as a CT36 owner, I sure wish it was there.

Bruce Page
09-07-2015, 10:55 PM
I have the Festool ETS150 hooked up to a Fein T3. No complaints.

Prashun Patel
09-08-2015, 5:59 AM
I've had my Ceros for a couple years now. It's light, quiet, aggressive.

But the absolute best thing about it is the dust collection. With a shop vac and the Porter Cable hose that screws into the end, it does such a good job I can sand indoors with it. INDOORS!

It's pricey, but worth every penny.

Joe Jensen
09-08-2015, 11:46 AM
I have a full compliment of Festool sanders and they are well designed and the dust collection is excellent. I use them with a WAP Drywaller Vac I bought almost 20 years ago (Alto Fisk Now). When the Ceros came out I got the itch to consider and "Upgrade". I have read a few online posts of people having issues with the Ceros in terms of reliability. I would do your own research on issues and more importantly how the company handles them. Since you are getting a new vac and sander the Ceros is right there with Festool in price. Also Festool just announced a new line of brushless motor sanders that are lower profile, I assume to compete with the Ceros.

Jim German
09-08-2015, 12:08 PM
Festool just announced its new brushless ETS Sanders, they should be more competitive with the Mirka ones. I'd hold off until they come out and read up the reviews on them before buying anything.

Larry Copas
09-08-2015, 12:18 PM
My Dynabrade is brushless, never gets hot, lightweight, available with 3 different orbits, and is made in the USA.

Brian Tymchak
09-09-2015, 9:37 AM
Does anyone have an opinion as to which stroke is best for which tasks, and how the Mirka & Bosch stack up in this regard?

Found this page (http://www.buffdaddy.com/product/CEROS-CVKIT) (Ceros specific) that provides some info on what the different stroke sizes do.

Bernie Kopfer
09-09-2015, 11:30 AM
I have the Deros and am really impressed and pleased. Quiet, vibration - free, nontiring and phenomenal dust collection compared to any of the run of the mill sanders I've used. Be sure to obtain the custom hose for the sander, less stiff and specially tapered. But it works well with other tools, actually better than the one that comes with the Turbo vac I use. Also use the thin pads to save the hook and loops. Bought mine from Woodwerks and they inc the hose.

Bill Adamsen
09-09-2015, 12:03 PM
I've had my Ceros for a couple years now. It's light, quiet, aggressive. But the absolute best thing about it is the dust collection. With a shop vac and the Porter Cable hose that screws into the end, it does such a good job I can sand indoors with it. INDOORS!

Sanding indoors, that is the "cat's meow" any way you can make it happen.