PDA

View Full Version : Veritas Waterstone Pond

Nicholas Lingg
09-06-2015, 11:19 AM
Does any one have a Veritas Waterstone Pond and do you like or dislike it?

http://www.veritastools.com/Products/Page.aspx?p=123

Derek Cohen
09-06-2015, 11:50 AM
I purchased one about 10 years ago. The Pond construction is fine, but I found the stone holders flimsy. I stopped using these after a short while. The pond itself remained in use for a few years.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Jim Koepke
09-06-2015, 1:03 PM
My set up consists of a plastic tub purchased from the home department of a local store and a rubber floor matt purchased in the automotive department of another store. Simple and cheap.

jtk

Charles Bjorgen
09-06-2015, 1:09 PM
Like Derek I bought mine many years ago. In principle it's okay but I found it to be more than I need. I currently use an old refrigerator ice container. I can soak my three Tools From Japan water stones all at once. I don't dislike the Veritas product though and maybe I'll give it another try.

ken hatch
09-06-2015, 4:40 PM
If you are looking for a place to store and/or soak waterstones as has been pointed out almost any waterproof tub/container will work and should cost less. If you are looking for something to contain the waterstone "mess" and to hold the stones while you sharpen then the best I've found is the Shapton waterpond and stone holders. Cost a penny or two but it is solid and works both to contain the mess and to hold the stones.

ken

Terry Beadle
09-07-2015, 11:50 AM
Frank Klaus has a video about setting up tools and planes. It's probably over a decade a go but you can find these videos from time to time.
In this video Frank shows how to make a stone pond out of pine with a water tight seal made into the bottom sides of the water box. He uses
a piece of scrap steel that looks to me to be a part of a check ring or even a ring from a car piston.

Therefore, if you adapt to his method, you can make a stone pond to what ever size you want cheaply.

Enjoy!

Simon MacGowen
09-09-2015, 1:07 AM
I have used the Veritas pond for about seven years and have had no issues with it. I like the aluminum clamping system and the non-skid base (friction pads). It is durable and also a good place to keep your stones.

The pond is best used with two stones (1000/4000 combo) and 8000 or 10000), though you could use it with three or even four (two in the pond and two on the holders). Unless you go with a make-shift or shop-made system, I have not seen a better water pond system.

Simon

Greg Muller
09-10-2015, 3:24 AM
I've had the LV waterstone pond for a couple years and find it works pretty well. The holders work as designed, as long as you use that side ledge instead of just the bar and cam. The instructions are pretty clear on this. For storage, the ridges in the bottom of the pond keep the stone up out of the swarf, helping to keep them clean. Yeah, you can use any old tub to store your stones, but for storage, stone holding, and containing the mess, the stone pond works for me.