PDA

View Full Version : Clearvue summer sale..

Steven Wayne
09-05-2015, 5:02 PM
I'm thinking its time to get a proper cyclone dust collector. Clearvue has a sale going that looks to save around $200 on the CV1800- $2015 shipped.

Is there another system for similar money that I should look at? I've read tons of threads and I'm still left wondering. Oneida or Grizzly? Ugh. So much info.

I already have 6" S&D and associated fittings, blast gates, etc on hand.

I have a unisaw, 20" import planer, jointer, multiple router tables..

Steve Wilde
09-05-2015, 6:45 PM
320873320872I bought an Oneida V3000 this spring and can't be happier! It's been a fantastic machine.
It comes with a 7" inlet, which I reduced to 6" for my mains, and then reduced to 4' for the drops. I haven't noticed any problems, in fact the clean out under the filter is almost spotless! I just looked and they have a labor day sale, half off of shipping. The V3000 which is 3Hp comes in at $1486, and if you add the 35 gal stand, 35 gal fiber drum, and the wireless remote it comes to $1672, significantly less than the clearvue. I inquired about the V5000, which is the 5 Hp version. They told me it really doesn't get you much more, in fact they admitted the 7" inlet is the restricting factor so don't bother. The V5000 also weighs too much to ship via ups or fedex, and they have to ship it by freight which costs a lot more. They were great to work with, although it did take a few weeks for it to ship. I would buy another tomorrow if I needed to.
Steve

David Kumm
09-05-2015, 8:11 PM
A larger diameter impeller will improve cfm when using 6" pipe although how much depends on lots of variables. Blade configuration, and pressure drop of cyclone and filters to name a few. Generally though a 15" impeller will pull more cfm that a 14" and a 16" more than a 15". The 16" coupled with the smaller pipe will not overamp the motor and max out the limitations of your pipe. There is no free lunch here. I would never compare a 3 hp 14" to a 5 hp 15". Not to say the smaller won't work just fine in your layout and with your machines but the V5000 is the proper comparable. Dave

Robert Payne
09-05-2015, 8:22 PM
Just so it is clear when making any comparisons -- the ClearVue CV1800 bundle includes a 16" impeller and blower with the unit as well as a pair of Wynn Nano filters. Some accessories are also available at a discount with the bundle.

Steven Wayne
09-05-2015, 9:07 PM
Looked at Oneida's website again. Apples to apples, best I can decipher, CV1800 is significantly less money..

Any reason to pay more for Oneida?

Steven Wayne
09-06-2015, 10:28 AM
Is there a reason to step up to the CVMax? I'd like to use my 6" S&D because I've already bought it. I understand I could use something else (not sure what though) for a larger main line and the 6" for the drops. I'm thinking the main header will be about 9-9.5' off the ground. Not sure if that affects dust collection.

David Kumm
09-06-2015, 11:20 AM
If you are getting the 16" impeller with your package, doesn't the max just have a different inlet fitting? The 16" is the one i would get. Better cfm with 6" pipe and with larger as well. Dave

Steven Wayne
09-06-2015, 11:37 AM
They both look to be the same except for the actual cyclone. The Max is about 1/3 more CFM. ~1500 vs ~2000.. Not sure if it's worth trying to figure out how to source a 8" main and then get it branched out to 6" S&D. I have everything I need to do my plumbing with the 6" S&D. Thinking I should just go with the 1800 on sale. Another question: it would be quite easy for me to vent outside- the wall penetration is already there.. I'm not excited about pumping my heat or a/c outside, but I wonder if that will actually be a problem.. If I have the option to vent outside should I go with it? I do a lot of routing on MDF..

The Max w/o filters is about the same price as the 1800 with filters..

David Kumm
09-06-2015, 12:21 PM
Your working cfm with 6" pipe will be in the 900-1200 range with the 15" impeller and 1000-1400 range with the 16". Venting outside will give you additional cfm due to pressure drop but the two Wynn filters breathe pretty easily so the gain is in not cleaning filters more than cfm as the pipe is the real restriction. I'd ask the Busheys if they would give you a deal with the 1800 and 16" impeller and stay with the 6" S and D. If you ever decide you need more cfm, you just need to change pipe rather than the whole system. I think the cyclone inlet can be swapped to handle 7-8" pipe if you decide to change in the future. Dave

Steven Wayne
09-06-2015, 1:10 PM
Thank you for the information! The fog is starting to clear. I'm going to go for the 1800 special. It includes the 16" impeller. I'll put it in an insulated closet to keep noise at bay and use the filters to keep my conditioned air inside.

Steven Wayne
09-08-2015, 5:31 PM
Placed my order!!

Paul Wunder
09-08-2015, 9:25 PM
Good luck, Steven. Have mine for five years.....still love it. I also use their mini-cyclone (CV06) attached to a hose and a Ridgid vacuum cleaner for smaller tools and bench cleanup . The mini works as well as the big fella. Everything goes into the bins not into the after filter drop box or the Ridgid vacuum.