PDA

View Full Version : Something ugly in the mail today..

steven c newman
09-04-2015, 11:27 PM
All the way from Georgia, no less. Supposed to be a stanley #5c....somewhere in there?
Stripped it down to just a pile of loose parts. Lots of rust, a spider nest in the frog, and some gray paint. All got wire wheeled off. Don't have time for a lengthy soak..
Most of the original black paint was gone, rattle can of Black Rustoleum satin to replace it..wire wheel to clean some places off.
That be an "oil slick" out front, as I dribble a bit of oil down into the spots for the bolts. Found a whale tail...
And a left hand threaded brass wheel. Flaattened the back of the iron, tuned up the chipbreaker. iron had a camber to it, was even in the right direction. Sharpened it up to 2.5K

Cleaned the gray spray paint off the lever cap, wire wheeled the rust off, along with what little nickle plate was left. Found some orange paint
Front knob was crack/chip free! had some of that gray paint...got most of it sanded off. iron has a Stanley inside a clipped cornered box. Rear handle had maybe two small chips, and a coupl splatters of paint.
Even has an intact horn! Sides cleaned up nicely. As for the sole?
Still a bit of rust down in the grooves, but most of it is gone. Sole is flat, too. Test drive on a chunk of curly maple edge grain..
remember, this does have a cambered edge. maybe about what Schwarz put on his? took almost two hours from opening the box, to making shavings...one of these days I might get the hang of this...:eek:

Robert Hazelwood
09-05-2015, 10:49 AM
Nicely done. Looks like a Type 6 with a much newer lever cap. My type 6 #8 is a great user, although the backwards-turning depth adjuster is always a surprise after using a newer plane.

Tom Stenzel
09-05-2015, 8:25 PM
Good job Steve!

I was going to make a crack about the mailman carrying a bunch of cast iron to your door but I'll save it for later.

I have a question- when you wire brush off the rust and nickel from the lever cap, what do you put on it to keep it from rusting? From your pictures the demarcation between the shop area and the laundry area are, um, blurred at best. How do you keep the moisture from rusting up the tools after your hard work?

-Tom

steven c newman
09-05-2015, 10:52 PM
A little 3in1 oil on a rag. Candle wax on the soles.

Frederick Skelly
09-06-2015, 12:20 PM
Steven, you are a tool restoring MACHINE, Sir!
A restorer's Restorer!
Congrats on another good job.

Fred