PDA

View Full Version : Glass Guru Insulating glass repair

George Bokros
09-04-2015, 3:46 PM
Has any one heard of or used the Glass Guru to repair fogging insulating glass. They drill small 1/8" holes in the corners of the window and inject some cleaning and drying agents into the window. The holes are covered by their micro-vents and the moisture is expelled over ~ a 12 day period. It carries a 10 yr guarantee that is transferable.

Lee Schierer
09-04-2015, 4:36 PM
The panes I have had that leaked had stuff growing inside not just moisture. Since most thermo pane windows are filled with and inert gas, I would think you would lose at least some of the insulating value. My double pane windows came with a lifetime warranty. I think in the 18 years I've had them I have had to replace three panes out of 42 total panes. They shipped the replacement pane directly to my house. It takes about 20 minutes to change one out.

Rob Luter
09-07-2015, 3:13 PM
I'm in the window business (manufacturer). Once a seal is blown the desiccant is gradually overwhelmed by the moisture that gets in. Then the Silver in the Low-E coating begins to tarnish. That can cause a visual that ranges from a rainbow to something that looks like mold growing. You're better off just changing out the IGU (Insulating glass unit). You should have no trouble getting one made. Make sure the weep system in the windows isn't plugged up. Even the best IGU sealants have a degree of moisture permeability. It's important that the IGU sits up on setting blocks (small spacers) so it's never in standing water.