PDA

View Full Version : Desk (restore or build)

Mike Holbrook
09-04-2015, 1:34 PM
I need a desk. I don't need another long project as I have a list...I was thinking about trying to find an old desk with interesting wood and "restoring' it so I can get back to making chairs and a solid wood bench. It seems like all the new desks sold by office stores these days are made from composite, heavy, uuuugly, fragile. I was wondering if any fellow posters had tried anything like this? I do wonder if decent old desks might get labeled as "antiques" and get sold for silly high prices. I could make a desk but most of the designs I have seen are relatively complicated. I have a modular office desk/cabinet unit but I have been threatening to junk it for years and every time I move it I think it is finally going to fall apart.

The other issue for me is I prefer working with solid wood. I have cut more than my share of sheet goods for construction projects and want to work the real thing for a change. One of the challenges I am facing is most of the information I have on joinery pushes machine made joinery. If they mention doing the work with hand tools it is sort of a side bar. I suspect fellow posters have favorite resources, books/DVDs/plans....?

James Pallas
09-04-2015, 5:38 PM
Hi Mike a desk is a rather broad subject. If you said what type of desk you may get more replies. Used solid wood desks are popular item to sell and sometimes people are pretty proud of what they have. Check out Jack Planes Pegs and Tails site. He built a nice ash slant front a couple of years ago that is pretty straight forward. Desks go from library tables to bombe secretaries so big range there.
Jim

Jim Koepke
09-04-2015, 5:49 PM
Have you shopped the local GoodWill or other second hand stores?

jtk

Mel Fulks
09-04-2015, 6:26 PM
Agree with Jim. Those old oak office desks with the hide away typewriter flip around thing are common and real cheap,would be funny to put a computor on one. I've even seen people cut them down ,they are pretty beefy. Saw a guy marveling over one and ready to buy because he thought it was a rare custom made thing! I educated him and saved him $20 bucks.

Mike Holbrook
09-04-2015, 9:21 PM
GoodWill on it! Oak office desk would be great.

Robert McNaull
09-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Another option is a state university surplus center or government surplus. University surplus here sells to the public one day a week, ther is always a decent selection of old heavy metal and wood desks.

Paul Sidener
09-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Check on Craigslist. If you can't find one to buy there, you can post what you are looking for. You could also ask at churches and the Salvation Army. Good luck.

Mike Holbrook
09-05-2015, 12:05 PM
I found something I like on Craigslist. I have never bought anything or even used Craigslists before though. Anyone with experience have any pointers? I am suppose to meet the guy with the desk at a storage pod that the desk is being stored in while they move. I was planing to take cash and just load it up and take it home if it is like the pictures and seller indicate. Not sure I will get a receipt or anything at a storage pod though? I do worry about the item being stollen....but I do not know how I could try to make sure that isn't the case. The guy sounds legit, but that is all I have to go on.

ken hatch
09-05-2015, 12:34 PM
I found something I like on Craigslist. I have never bought anything or even used Craigslists before though. Anyone with experience have any pointers? I am suppose to meet the guy with the desk at a storage pod that the desk is being stored in while they move. I was planing to take cash and just load it up and take it home if it is like the pictures and seller indicate. Not sure I will get a receipt or anything at a storage pod though? I do worry about the item being stollen....but I do not know how I could try to make sure that isn't the case. The guy sounds legit, but that is all I have to go on.

Mike,

Would you steal an Oak desk? My guess it would take two folks and a truck to move it and it might bring $25 USD at the local friendly fence. Applying Occam's razor to the list of possibilities, I'd take my cash and the seller's word, if the desk looks as advertised load that sucker up and take it home. I buy and sell on Craig's list on occasion, the scams are easy to spot.

ken

Mike Holbrook
09-05-2015, 12:40 PM
Great Ken, that was my thought process as well. What I am thinking about buying is old/antique and costs a little more, but like you say who would steal an old desk that is not a fancy antique worth lots of money. The desk is suppose to break down into several easy to move pieces which will help with me needing to move it mostly myself. If I get it I will post pictures.

Mike Holbrook
09-05-2015, 7:04 PM
So I bought an old Schoolmaster's Desk made in Glasgow Scotland by James Simpson in the mid/late 1800's. The owners were moving and renovating so offered it for what I think was a good deal. Certainly a new desk or just the materials to build a new desk would have been more. They also had a companion File Cabinet that works into my plans very well too. I know practically nothing about antiques or even if this is one, but I like it. It has tradition, made from solid wood with dovetails, tongue & grooves....It looks like it is very old, even the design, the hardware/ old casters (looks like the "wheels" are glass or ceramic)/handles look old as well. The drawer handles are wood screws that go through the sides of the drawers into the handles.

Now I have to figure out how to restore old furniture and wood. The desk broke down into three parts + drawers so it was easy to move as well. I think it being in pieces will help restoring it too. There are some cracks, which one might expect on wood that is maybe 150 years old, but it seems to be in relatively good shape for it's age. Any hints, links, info. on restoring old furniture would be appreciated.

I moved my questions about restoring this desk and file cabinet to the Finishing forum. I posted a bunch of pictures there too, if anyone wants to see them.