PDA

View Full Version : weld tool - arghhhhhhhhhhhhhh

Graham Taylor
09-04-2015, 10:30 AM
It seems to only work when it wants to with no rhyme nor reason (to me anyway) as to the way to get it to work.

I have weled some shapes together and now want to add a couple of other things and n matter what I do it wont weld :mad: :mad: :mad:

I am so frustrated I would go to the pub but I need to drive later so cant

Rant over now I have a nice cup of tea

Real Mercier
09-04-2015, 12:20 PM
I don't know if this is your problem , but I find that Corel can only weld two objects one time. for example, if you three objects to weld, you need to pick two, weld those and then select the next and weld again and so on. If you select multiple objects to weld, nothing happens.

Hope that helps.
Real Mercier

Bernie Fraser
09-04-2015, 3:50 PM
Graham if it is possible post your file that your working on up here. Save as a X6 version as that is what I have. I'm thinking the objects your trying to weld maybe on different layers. Not 100% sure that would cause it but happy to try and find out what's going on. Saturday here already and I am going to the pub and I think that is the answer to solve all Coreldraw issues. You need to have a few beers first so you don't get so frustrated.

Bert Kemp
09-04-2015, 5:49 PM
He should save it as version 9 that way more people can help him very few have x6

Graham if it is possible post your file that your working on up here. Save as a X6 version as that is what I have. I'm thinking the objects your trying to weld maybe on different layers. Not 100% sure that would cause it but happy to try and find out what's going on. Saturday here already and I am going to the pub and I think that is the answer to solve all Coreldraw issues. You need to have a few beers first so you don't get so frustrated.

Bernie Fraser
09-04-2015, 6:52 PM
Yes Bert will See if he is happy to upload the file version 9 if possible :)

Bernie Fraser
09-04-2015, 7:17 PM
I don't know if this is your problem , but I find that Corel can only weld two objects one time. for example, if you three objects to weld, you need to pick two, weld those and then select the next and weld again and so on. If you select multiple objects to weld, nothing happens.

Hope that helps.
Real Mercier

Thats interesting so we need to find out what is going on. I just did a quick test in Coreldraw X6. Created five objects, one large circle and four smaller circles overlapping on the perimeter. Selected all the circles and they welded together no problems. Something else is going on. Anyone can post a file that is giving them an issue with welding. Save it in version 9 and we can try and find out what is happening.

Scott Shepherd
09-04-2015, 7:30 PM
I'm with Bernie, I weld things together all the time in X5. Large numbers of things as well. One customer sends me files that come into Corel with 100's and 100's of individual objects, overlapping, etc, to make the shapes they want. I select them all, hit weld, and it makes one shape. I've not seen an issue with it. Maybe you have some items on another layer and that other layer is locked (the pencil is clicked on in the object manager)??? Just a guess.

Bert Kemp
09-05-2015, 9:43 AM
I just did the same thing, I welded 6 objects then I added more objects and welded again . no problems. So we need to see your file.

Chris Achtschin
09-05-2015, 9:44 AM
Hmmm, if an outline is converted to a object, it wont weld with the others...
I just tried 3 circles, the third I converted to an object and it did not weld with the others.

Bert Kemp
09-05-2015, 9:50 AM
Right once you make changes from the original I find they don't weld also.

Bernie Fraser
09-06-2015, 10:09 PM
Right once you make changes from the original I find they don't weld also.

Try this file Bert. I have three circles converted to outline and then added a circle. Selected them all and they weld. See if it does the same for you.

Milazim Zeka
09-07-2015, 2:53 AM
Corel 7 can weld how many object you select, but here is just one outline and no objects will color fill

Bert Kemp
09-08-2015, 8:22 AM
Bernie I tried what you did and it does weld. But I guess I misunderstand the purpose of welding. I've always used the weld function to remove the interlocking portions of text. Doing what you have done leaves everything interlocked. This is what I did with your circles. 3209963 circles welded. Yours the circles remain intact. Question...... What is the purpose of leaving them together for cutting or engraving ??

Try this file Bert. I have three circles converted to outline and then added a circle. Selected them all and they weld. See if it does the same for you.

Bernie Fraser
09-08-2015, 10:49 AM
Bert I use the weld tool a lot when recreating artwork. I rarely use Corels trace function. I use to screen print before I bought the laser and Tom Night from AdvancedArtist has some great tutorials on using Corel to recreate Artwork. He also uses shapes to recreate text instead of using the Beizier Tool to trace around text ( in cases where the text is unavailable and unable to be identified). He has a lot of tutorials on YouTube. Have a look at them if you get time. Another brilliant tutorial is Thomas Triminghams 0-60 Training. You have to buy that one or you may be able to rent it over there. Those sort of tutorials really show you the benefit of using the trim, weld, back minus front ect functions

Bert Kemp
09-08-2015, 11:21 AM
Thanks Bernie

Pete Bejmuk
09-08-2015, 3:05 PM
Weld has problems when you try to weld multiple objects with non-closed outlines, as well as complex combined shapes. Check if your individual objects have closed shapes by giving them a fill, generally the newer versions of corel won't fill anything that doesn't have a completely closed path outline.

Ruben Salcedo
09-08-2015, 3:51 PM
Actually, in the newer versions, or at least in X7 there is an option that you can select to fill with open paths, if deselected won't fill open paths, I believe that by default will fill open paths.

Kev Williams
09-08-2015, 4:40 PM
Using x4, I seem to be getting different results from what I'm reading...?

drew these 3 shapes---

welded the bottom 2,

then welded all 3- THEN changed to object and outlined blue,

then I added a box,

and when I welded the two, I got this, the gray fill just did itself?

Then I 'broke apart', and it all went gray,

removing the color and leaving only outlines left this,

which it turns out is a 2-piece cut/weld, I just moved one from the other---

Now, I don't know HOW many time's I've TRIED to get results like this! This is the first time I've done anything like this,
and I used ONLY the weld button.

Bernie Fraser
09-08-2015, 9:03 PM
Bert I get the same result as you have here if I do not convert outline to object before I weld.

Martin Boekers
09-10-2015, 10:04 AM
If all else fails, I find the "Virtual Segment Delete" Tool to be a quick and easy solution.
If you're not familiar with it there are lots of You Tube videos on it.