PDA

View Full Version : TV's and dust in the shop....

Kelly C. Hanna
08-24-2005, 9:57 AM
What do you guys do to keep the dust out of the TV's vents on top? We made a ton of dust yesterday and I know I can blow it out, but I'd like to know if anyone has a solution that lets the heat escape and keeps the dust out.

Donnie Raines
08-24-2005, 10:01 AM
I had mine in a "built in" that I then made face frame to surround the tv. I simply cut a rabbet in the face frame and a "tenon" on the built in to snap the face frame off and on should I need access to the backside of the tv. I stuffed foam around the gaps. Worked great and looked ok.

Dave Richards
08-24-2005, 10:02 AM
Well, I don't even watch TV in the house but why couldn't you build a box with a glass or Lexan front and a furnace filter on the top?

Scott Coffelt
08-24-2005, 10:06 AM
I don't bother, I just clean it a few times a year. I figure TV's are cheap these days so if it makes it 5-10 years great, so far I have had if for about 6.

Frank Pellow
08-24-2005, 10:06 AM
What do you guys do to keep the dust out of the TV's vents on top? We made a ton of dust yesterday and I know I can blow it out, but I'd like to know if anyone has a solution that lets the heat escape and keeps the dust out.
By far the best soultion is not to have a TV in the shop. :D The best part about this solution is that you don't have a TV in the shop. :D Why would anyone want a TV in the shop :confused: :confused: :confused: Then again, if for some unknown reason you really do want a TV in the shop, encase the TV in a solid 6 sided wooden box, and screw the box closed very tight with an unusual type of screw then throw the screwdriver away. :D

Ken Garlock
08-24-2005, 10:32 AM
Kelly, the only reason you would want a TV in the shop is in order to make finger sacrifices to the video gods. :eek:

Get yourself a DeWalt shop radio and tune it to KHYI, 95.3, for some real country music.

Keith Starosta
08-24-2005, 10:46 AM
Awful nice of you fellas to be so helpful to Kelly. :rolleyes:

I have a small 13" TV with builtin VCR unit so I can watch woodworking videos, such as Norm's tapes or woodturning instructional videos. I'm thinking maybe a wooden box with plexan hinged front door. The back can maybe have a small exhaust fan to remove the heat.

Keith

John Weber
08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Kelly,

My TV is on a wall mount above the DC, it when the screen is hard to see I blow the whole thing with compressed air. A 13" TV is fairly cheap, but I do blow it off maybe evey 4-6 weeks depending how much I'm in the shop (and not much lately). If doing a big dusty project many every couple days.

As for a TV in the shop or not, I think it's great for sporting events, videos, although I haven't hooked up my DVD yet, and general background noise. I like it better then a radio, mostly ESPN, Discovery Channel, History, or stuff that you can focus on a monent hear and there.

John

Don Baer
08-24-2005, 11:19 AM
Kelley;
My TV just sits on a shelf I built in the corner. I dust the screen when it gets to dirty to see and blow it out when I think about it. The problem I have is the DVD player which can get dirty and need to be cleaned out more frequently.
I also have a 6 DVD player surond sound system that I put into it's own closet with the speakers in the four corners of the shop. This system stays pretty clean.

Bart Leetch
08-24-2005, 12:34 PM
By far the best soultion is not to have a TV in the shop. :D The best part about this solution is that you don't have a TV in the shop. :D Why would anyone want a TV in the shop :confused: :confused: :confused: Then again, if for some unknown reason you really do want a TV in the shop, encase the TV in a solid 6 sided wooden box, and screw the box closed very tight with an unusual type of screw then throw the screwdriver away. :D

Frank I have Bill Grumbine's DVD on turning coming & the TV as well as the DVD player out in the shop will come in handy when I start learning more about turning from his DVD.

Besides that I work from that shop all day long without using the TV & I like to have it on in the background in the evening. Most of the time I don't watch it unless I hear something I want to see then I stop for the minute or two it takes to take a look. :) I don't always have it on sometimes I have the radio,tape player or CD player on. :D

Both my 19" TV & my VCR someone left by the dumpster here at the apartment complex where I work & live & they both work. The VCR & DVD are in a cabinet beside the TV to keep them fairly dust free. I still need to do something to help protect the stereo system. The TV I just blow out once in a while & I have a brush that I use to brush the dust of the TV screen one in a while. :D The Micro wave comes in handy once in a while too. :eek:

Corey Hallagan
08-24-2005, 1:19 PM
I don't have a tv in the shop but wish I did and will eventually. I would like it in the back ground and to listen to my nascar races on sunday. It is a place to hang out for me as well and to just putter around . Sometimes I listen to the Milwaukee jobsite but get tired of hearing the same son every 2 hours. I think just blow it out every now and then.

Corey

Jim Dunn
08-24-2005, 4:05 PM
I cover mine up when making a lot of dust. Got an old cover for a copier from the local office supply place. Works good.

If it gets really bad I use a rag duster on the screen.

Vaughn McMillan
08-24-2005, 4:34 PM
C'mon, Frank...don't hold back...tell us what you really think! :p

- Vaughn

Frank Pellow
08-24-2005, 6:11 PM
C'mon, Frank...don't hold back...tell us what you really think! :p

- Vaughn
I usually do, Vaughn.

I can see the use of a TV as a DVD monitor (but a laptop computer is better for that).

Nothing that any one has siad convinces me that a TV as a TV has any place in the shop. In fact, a workshop should be a place that one can escape from TV.

Bart Sharp
08-24-2005, 6:52 PM
Awful nice of you fellas to be so helpful to Kelly. :rolleyes:

I have a small 13" TV with builtin VCR unit so I can watch woodworking videos, such as Norm's tapes or woodturning instructional videos. I'm thinking maybe a wooden box with plexan hinged front door. The back can maybe have a small exhaust fan to remove the heat.

Keith

You may want to think about having your "exhaust" fan blowing into the box, with a filter on the intake (outside) of the fan. The idea is that if the fan is blowing out, then air must be getting into the box somehow to make up for what's being lost (negative pressure). That air will come in around your hinges, through every little gap, and will carry the dust with it. If your box is sealed airtight, then the exhaust fan wouldn't do any good anyway, because it wouldn't be able to move any air after a few minutes.

If the fan is blowing into the box, then you're creating a positive-pressure environment that will push stuff out all of the leakpoints. All you have to worry about filtering is what goes through the fan.

This is the way I've seen most good paint booths done, for the same reasons.

Richard Wolf
08-24-2005, 8:55 PM
So Frank, I'm still not clear on this. Do you or don't you have a TV in the shop? LOL

Richard

Joe Mioux
08-24-2005, 9:13 PM
I usually do, Vaughn.

I can see the use of a TV as a DVD monitor (but a laptop computer is better for that).

Nothing that any one has siad convinces me that a TV as a TV has any place in the shop. In fact, a workshop should be a place that one can escape from TV.

Frank: Does a radio have a place in the shop?

Many ppl use the TV similar to a radio.

Sincerely and cordially
Joe

Per Swenson
08-24-2005, 9:50 PM
Bunch a puritans,
You get more work done when you
have all the comforts of home at your finger tips.
It stimulates the imagination.
We have for your perusal, TV,cd, dvd ,X-box,playstation,
tuner with I-Pod hook up, and a high tech office within
10 feet of the dust makers. No problem.
I am thinking about a murphy bed next.

Per

Jim Dunn
08-24-2005, 10:00 PM
Hey Per, can I come over and play?? I'll bring the newest version of Madden:)

Joe Mioux
08-24-2005, 10:06 PM
Bunch a puritans,
You get more work done when you
have all the comforts of home at your finger tips.
It stimulates the imagination.
We have for your perusal, TV,cd, dvd ,X-box,playstation,
tuner with I-Pod hook up, and a high tech office within
10 feet of the dust makers. No problem.
I am thinking about a murphy bed next.

Per

Per, God Love Ya.

However, the X-box and playstation may be a bit much:D :eek: :) :rolleyes:

Joe

Per Swenson
08-24-2005, 10:10 PM
First, Jim,
Of course you can.
Second, Woodworking Videos?
Fellas, go buy a camera. Make your own.
A great majority of you underestimate your selves.
You are really a lot better then you think.

Per

Per Swenson
08-24-2005, 10:14 PM
Thank you Joe,

But there is a method to my madness.
My son is 16 years old.
He has friends.
I have 3500 board feet of Mahogany in my driveway.
Remember Tom and Huck and Becky and the fence?
I am Tom.

Per

Joe Mioux
08-24-2005, 10:19 PM
Thank you Joe,

But there is a method to my madness.
My son is 16 years old.
He has friends.
I have 3500 board feet of Mahogany in my driveway.
Remember Tom and Huck and Becky and the fence?
I am Tom.

Per

YOU!!!
Just made my day!

Corey Hallagan
08-24-2005, 10:55 PM
Per, you just need a recliner is all! Forget the Murphy bed, you can sleep in the recliner.

Keith Starosta
08-24-2005, 10:55 PM
I usually do, Vaughn.

Frank, this is strictly your opinion. Why criticize the man for wanting the TV. PLUS, I'd go as far as to say I'd NEVER take my laptop into a dusty shop!

Frank Pellow
08-24-2005, 11:01 PM
Frank, this is strictly your opinion. Why criticize the man for wanting the TV. PLUS, I'd go as far as to say I'd NEVER take my laptop into a dusty shop!
I am not criticizing a man, I am criticizing a practice. And, you will see that there were lots of :D faces in my original posting on the subject so I certainly did not expect anyone to take my comments to heart.

If one can not express an opinion here amongst friends, where can one express it. :confused:

And, my shop is certainly not dusty when I use my laptop in it (which I do quite a lot). :p :D

Kelly C. Hanna
08-25-2005, 8:54 AM
Frank, I can see your side of it, but the shop is more than just a woodworking shop. It also serves as a hang out for friends during what we call driveway sessions. We work on our classics and have a few brews now and then. The TV was installed along with DirecTV, am/fm receiver, CD player, cassette player and direct drive turntable. I am going to make a small barn door (that's sealed to the elements when shut) so that the TV can be rotated to face the yard where we also hang out. Then when there's a sporting event or other event we wanna watch, we can rotate the TV and sit outside on the deck and watch it.

I don't usually watch shows while cutting wood. I generally listen to classic rock or talk radio whilst doing my woodworking. I also don't make digit sacrifices for any reason. I have a ton of respect for spinning blades and nothing gets in my attention span during a cut.

Woodworking videos will be watched in the house if at all. I don't use plans or videos to build stuff....I just jump in and go. I might sketch out a general idea, but it always gets changed along the way.

Thanks to everyone who has responded, I like the idea of a cover. I might just make a TV cabinet on a TV turntable with a filter of sorts on top...I like that idea best. Dust is the enemy of the computer and TV and with my luck I think I should cover it.

On that note I will be getting a laptop very soon and my wireless router will reach the shop easily...you know what that means....:D:D:D

Jim Dannels
08-25-2005, 9:17 AM
Like others, my shop is more than a woodworking shop.
It is my escape, from the realities of work and life in general.
So yes there is a TV and radio in my shop.
Being the lone male in my household, the wife, daughter ande two grandaughters often out vote me when the question of what to watch on Tv comes up.
Besides I am a hopeless NASCAR Addict, not much work gets done in the shop Sunday afternoons. Although I often clean and organize while the race is on.
Truth is I have yet to give thought to keeping dust out of the TV?

Peter Gavin
08-25-2005, 9:22 AM
I have a TV in the shop (maybe 12 inches). The only thing I have ever watched on it is a baseball game when the TV upstairs is being monopolized by the other members of my family. Baseball games are perfect because you can putter around and look up when something happens.

Peter

Pete Harbin
08-25-2005, 9:26 AM
Ditto, to what Jim just said. Sometimes you just want to hang out or tinker around in the shop. I get a lot of cleanup done when a hockey game is on, but when I'm concentrating on using a tool, the TV is off.