PDA

View Full Version : Another work bench thread

Phil Mueller
09-03-2015, 9:09 AM
After months of unnecessary contemplation, I have set out to build my first bench. I took both Chris Schwarz and Paul Sellers advice to heart; quit worrying about wood type, design, etc., and just get to it. Pick an established design, get the best wood you can and make it.

So it begins...a Roubo of course. Pretty much as designed in Chris's book...6'x2' (all I can possibly fit in my space).
Initally, just a leg vise and planning stop.

Here's what will become the top and most of the base.

Here's the future legs...40 year old 6x4 redwood beams given to me by my neighbor. I'll power wash to see what I have and cut them down to manageable size. While certainly a softer wood, they are heavy, and not cut from the center of the tree...good straight grain from what I can tell and no checking whatsoever.

And the crotchet I've made from scrap purple heart and walnut while waiting for the rest of the wood to acclimate.

May become somewhat of a white elephant wood wise...but will certainly beat pushing a craftsman workmate around the "shop" with a plane and chopping and cutting on the floor.

And yes, that is the table saw I hope to put into semi-retirement soon.

Brian Holcombe
09-03-2015, 9:25 AM
Nice Phil!

That redwood is going to spoil you!

The bench will absolutely beat planing on a light work bench, it is absolutely incredible how much easier it is to work on a heavy bench or without the work moving.

Nick Stokes
09-04-2015, 10:36 AM
Thanks for the thread. I look forward to seeing your progress. Having built a Paul Sellers bench this summer with almost all hand tools, it nearly killed my physically... It is a job I will try to avoid for the rest of my life... until I change my mind of course......

Phil Mueller
09-05-2015, 11:49 PM
Thanks Gents. I look forward to the build. One thing that is becoming quite obvious is that it sure would be easier to build a bench if I had a bench!

ken hatch
09-05-2015, 11:58 PM
Thanks Gents. I look forward to the build. One thing that is becoming quite obvious is that it sure would be easier to build a bench if I had a bench!

Ain't that the truth. It's one of the reason I advocate building a simple, cheap bench first. Build it fast, simple, and cheap then if you must build the Taj Mabench.

ken

Adam Cruea
09-07-2015, 1:24 PM
What kind of lumber is the top going to be? I can't tell from the little picture what the species is (but it looks like white oak).

I hand-built a bench out of hickory and I found it to be a blast. It's just a 6' by 3' top on a trestle bottom. Nothing really fancy. It's worked very well for 2 or 3 years now and won't scoot. :)

Joe A Faulkner
09-07-2015, 3:33 PM
If you don't have a bench or an assembly table, you might want to first build a couple of saw horses or saw benches to use as a make shift bench. A 10' 2x10 or 2x12 can be used as a beam. Even a couple of traditional saw horses with some construction 2x4's and an old door or sheet of plywood can prove useful as a temporary bench - especialy when you go to laminate the top.

Before building my bench, I built a 3x5 outfeed table for the table saw. It came in extremely handy when I flattened the bench top. It was built with construction grade 4x4 legs, and 2x6 stretchers around the top and bottom. I re-purposed an old 1 1/4" thick formica desk top as the top, and threw a quick release vise on one face. Having this multi-purpose, outfeed table/assembly table/second workbench comes in extremely handy.

Phil Mueller
09-07-2015, 4:23 PM
Good suggestions, thanks. I could certainly beef up a couple of
sawhorses in the garage...would be a big help building the top.

Phil Mueller
09-25-2015, 8:57 AM
Well, making a bit of progress.

Top is complete for now. Glued up, planned in two sections, glued the two sections, squared the ends, planned again, and finished up with a couple coats of Watco. I have to say, I'm clamp challenged...pretty much used everything I own...was down to five that would handle the final glue up...but seemed to work out.
(I'm sure images will be all rotated and such...iPhone photos!)

Being the chicken that I am, the glue up was one board at a time. I let it cure for about 2 hours, then added the next board and so on. A long process, but much less anxiety.

Final measurement came to just under 6' by just under 2'....the absolute largest I can handle in my work space.

I do need to pre-finish in the garage...I didn't think Watco or BLO 3 feet from the gas water heater and furnace would be a good idea :eek:

By the way, I used Radiata Pine aka Monterey Pine...similar characteristics (density/hardness) as SYP. The outer edges are Maple.

I must say, the planning was a learning experience. Actually enjoyed it...but need to get better at set up (and most likely technique). Cross grain work did result in a bit of tear out here and there. Fortunately, I started with the underside and was able to improve for the top.

At least the wife is now happy to get her parking spot in the garage back:)

Now on to the legs....

Al Launier
09-25-2015, 9:21 AM
Enjoying your bench build. Really looking good. However, if you don't mind a suggestion: any chance you could orient the pictures to a normal vertical perspective? Thanks.

Brian Holcombe
09-25-2015, 9:29 AM
Nice work Phil! One board at a time is a good way to go for big glue ups.

Phil Mueller
09-25-2015, 9:53 AM
Would love to Al, but just can't figure it out. It's come up by other posters as well. Apparently some protocol issue between iPhone and SMC. I've tried to rotate and save and rotate the phone in every direction. An upright photo becomes shear luck.
Hopefully a moderator will come by and rotate for me.

Christopher Charles
09-25-2015, 12:04 PM
looks great and good on you for going neander! my top is hard maple so I was not so brave :)

C

Nick Stokes
09-25-2015, 12:38 PM
You will love the bench... after you finish...

Building mine almost killed me, and I'm still a young man in good physical shape... As I was building it, I was asking my 5 year old son what design changes he might want included... because it will be his when I'm done with it.

Phil Mueller
10-09-2015, 11:02 PM
Legs finished, well mostly. So much for plan A. Per my first post, a neighbor gave me a couple of 4x6 redwood beams, I gladly took to use for the bench legs. Initial planing looked promising (and yes, Brian, it was lovely to work).

I cut four lengths from the clearest sections and planed square.

In just 48 hours, they decided to do this...

Did not want to chance going through the effort of sawing tenons, chopping mortises, and drilling holes to have them break apart...so moved on to plan B...Monterey Pine. The two front legs are pine inside with maple on the outside. I decided the maple might be better for the leg vise screw and hold fast holes.

Glued and planed

Ready to cut to final length and begin mortise work.

But first...the stretchers...stay tuned.