PDA

View Full Version : This Week's Turnings

Bob Bergstrom
09-02-2015, 9:58 PM
The Natural edge cherry crotch bowl is about 19" across on the diagonal the edge is painted black with India ink. It has two coats of Danish oil and two coats of sprayed lacquer. The other is ash and is 18 1/2" in diameter. The rim was burned with a blow torch and wired brushed. The interior and exterior are dyed with Transtint yellow and reds some black under the rim. Dichromic powders applied and the pours filled with metallic waxes. Finish is sprayed Cat lacquer.

Brian Kent
09-02-2015, 10:13 PM
Bob, those are amazing finishes. I had never heard of metallic waxes before. What kind (brand) do you use?

Bob Bergstrom
09-02-2015, 10:39 PM
Bob, those are amazing finishes. I had never heard of metallic waxes before. What kind (brand) do you use?

Brian, I use Pearl-Ex powders and just mix them into Johnson's paste wax. I have about 20 different colors. The silver and gold on the rim are dry brushed and lightly sprayed from a distanced to avoid blowing the powders away. A second coat totally adheres the powders. The mixed wax was rubbed into the grain and the extra rubbed with #0000 steel wool. Ash (a ring porous wood) textures well when burned with a blow torch. After the waxed has cured I will lacquer it.

Randy Red Bemont
09-03-2015, 7:09 AM
I love the cherry crotch bowl.

Red

Thomas Canfield
09-03-2015, 7:23 AM
Looks like you worked the limits of a 20" lathe. The shape of the cherry crotch is unusual and I like it. Don't remember ever seeing a cut edge used that way. I guess it would work to stand the piece on that end. The "angel" of the crotch does show up and standing at right height would be an eye catcher. The burnt rim and dyes are also nice.

Steve Huffman
09-03-2015, 8:34 AM
Very nice Bob! I especially like the bowl on the left, the torching and coloring. You didn't have any trouble spraying lacquer over the Danish oil? I spray almost everything in lacquer, but would be afraid of ill effects on the oil.
Either way, beautiful finish on both!

Bob Bergstrom
09-03-2015, 12:25 PM
Looks like you worked the limits of a 20" lathe. The shape of the cherry crotch is unusual and I like it. Don't remember ever seeing a cut edge used that way. I guess it would work to stand the piece on that end. The "angel" of the crotch does show up and standing at right height would be an eye catcher. The burnt rim and dyes are also nice.
The crotch was turned wet to final thickness, dryer and sanded. I have sanded the bottom edge to stand them , but this ones doesn't It had a beaded foot, but the warp of the crotch are was almost a 1/4" so I sanded it away and it sits on the two limbs quite nicely.

Bob Bergstrom
09-03-2015, 12:31 PM
Very nice Bob! I especially like the bowl on the left, the torching and coloring. You didn't have any trouble spraying lacquer over the Danish oil? I spray almost everything in lacquer, but would be afraid of ill effects on the oil.
Either way, beautiful finish on both!

Steve, the oil is Forby's Tung Oil which really has no Tung Oil in it. It cures overnight and I've spayed lacquer over it and the wax without problems. I do steel wool both before spraying. It may help increase the bonding of the finishes.

robert baccus
09-03-2015, 10:38 PM
Bob, don't sweat the oil, at least Danish oil dried 24 hours. Several of us use it on many pieces under lacquer to pop the color.